RESTO Double trouble: 97 & 98 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah unfortunately before I could get home and strip it bare. But had to give in a little, it made the yard look like crap

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

finishing up the nitty gritty on the 97xp.... Can anybody explain to me why in the sam hill the fuel line for delivery is 5/16" from the baffle up through the selector, to the water separator and on towards the carb, but then midway through it has a little plastic converter in the line and goes to 1/4" for final delivery to the carbs.

why not just leave the entire fuel delivery 1/4" or even 5/16"? am i missing something here....?

Yep I do believe imma just chalk this one up to bad engineering.

Rebuilding jet pump today then it'll be mechanically complete besides the no spark. Getting juice to solenoid just not out of it, won't jump over either. Gonna dig around for another one and try it again but if it's not jumping the terminal at all then I doubt this will do much. Have already cleaned and greased every terminal and checked all fuses (vts keeps blowing, unplugged it). Did I ever mention I hate electrical gremlins?

Yep I do believe imma just chalk this one up to bad engineering.

Rebuilding jet pump today then it'll be mechanically complete besides the no spark. Getting juice to solenoid just not out of it, won't jump over either. Gonna dig around for another one and try it again but if it's not jumping the terminal at all then I doubt this will do much. Have already cleaned and greased every terminal and checked all fuses (vts keeps blowing, unplugged it). Did I ever mention I hate electrical gremlins?

sounds like you have some a bad cable then

i used my 98xp's battery cables and still same problem a few months ago...i can't remember if i tried replacing the one from the solenoid to the starter. i'll try it again

swing and a miss on both replacing the cable and another solenoid. boo

I've not followed your posts within this thread as it is 11 pages long. I do not know where to start.

If you have an issue I suggest you start a fresh thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the plan, just wanted to spend time with the family the first week or so I'm home. I was kinda wanting to figure it out myself but I'm at a loss.... my limits are reached lol

Coastie, basically I had spark when I got engine from matt. Brought it home and started install and now I got nothing. I get power up to the solenoid, nothing after. When I cross terminals, it sparks (literally) but no engine turn over or any response. No blown fuses besides vts, all terminals cleaned and greased. Have tried different battery cables from my 98 xpl as well. I do get gauge light, and 1 short 1 long beep.

Confusing part is it worked fine at Matts, but nothing only a few days later at house. I'm sure I've connected everything

Coastie, basically I had spark when I got engine from matt. Brought it home and started install and now I got nothing. I get power up to the solenoid, nothing after. When I cross terminals, it sparks (literally) but no engine turn over or any response. No blown fuses besides vts, all terminals cleaned and greased. Have tried different battery cables from my 98 xpl as well. I do get gauge light, and 1 short 1 long beep.

Confusing part is it worked fine at Matts, but nothing only a few days later at house. I'm sure I've connected everything

Ok,, no matter any other issue that you may have, it should crank when you cross the solenoid. Pull the plugs, can you turn it over by hand? Run jumper cables to the starter, (not the cables at the solenoid), then connect to an external battery like your vehicle (NOT RUNNING). If it still does not crank, the starter is trashed.

First things first though, can you turn the engine over by hand...

On further thought,,, Did you do ANY work on the impeller/pump? If so, maybe the impeller is seized due to a thrust bearing issue. Ws the ski sitting a long time? The pump bearings could be seized.

Until we have some known good and or bad, this will be hard to diagnose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've removed the pump and shaft, and I can turn the engine by hand. I will try the jumper cables tomorrow. Thanks!

Got some goodies in. R&D head with FAs, proper needles and seats etc. And Ace's bearing removal tool. Also got my wet suit off of eBay in, but ill spare you the tightness since I posted it on another thread.

Only picked up the head and components bc it was a good deal, I want to make this a reliable runner before adding snazzy stuff.

105.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone explain to me WHY IN THE HELL fuel selectors for 5/16" are 3x as expensive as 1/4". 60 (120 for both XPs!) bucks for a freakin petcock is ridiculous. i tried to go the cheap route and buy a used one off of ebay....and it was completely clogged.

Don't cheap out on the selector I would bypass it all together before I cheap out

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

116.jpg

South Korea, where they pay 12 bucks to ship a 3 dollar item.....yes, it was ebay free shipping

A bit of reinforced hose. Didn't know it was from Korea but oh well, looks good to go

117.jpg

Also picked this up for dirt cheap. I'm pulling out all the stops trying to figure out this no spark. Already replaced all battery cables and solenoid.

Reason I am trying starter is bc the other day I got a little over anxious and tightened the positive nut a little too much and the whole post is now a little loose

Yeah I figured to do that I'd have to take it off and if I take it off I might as well have a spare just in case I jacked something up. Just removed and Bench tested it, no Bueno...I must've fried it in my bumbling about when I first plugged it up to a battery

I have a bucket of starters. Come over soon and pull a long day or two so we get you something running good for the Ga ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back