RESTO Double trouble: 97 & 98 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you mean to leave me two cables on the table the other day? It was late and I didn't realize I had two in my hand till I got home

One was missing a little skin and the other had a little kink in it. Both had good smooth inner cables just pick your favorite to use.

I looked at the original engine and it does not have one on it so there is a third loose somewhere.

Il keep searching, thanks brother.

My 7.5 fuse (VTS?) was blown, but that shouldn't be why I'm not getting anything. Noticed a blue with black stripe wire isn't connected to anything either coming from the harness. Don't know what it's for

...I hate electrical problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Needed this. Feel official now lol

367.jpg

just realized my child's head looks rather large, sideways, and bald. Disregard that melon

So I cleaned every terminal I could think of, and finally got the black e-box to make this god awful clicking noise, sounds like a drill stripping out a screw. The solenoid doing this? Can't think of anything else in there that it could be.

Yes it's a bad connection or low voltage for sure. I have had solenoids do that so cross it(touch something metal across the posts) and see if it spins over.

It's either a bad starter or bad ground wire I think. Everything else checks out. I'll bench test the starter in a bit

Anybody know if I have to remove the two piece drive shaft to align? Got the splined metal shaft out, the larger shaft I didn't wanna take out till i got confirmation

We already tested that starter by checking for spark and performing a compression test. That thing spun over well. What is your current battery voltage? When you hit the start button? Does the engine still spin over freely by hand?

There is a little plastic insert you need to take out of the center of the pto on the back of the engine. Then the shaft of the alignment tool should fit in there. You will have to pull the shaft that goes through the tank. If you need more shims I have a whole box full. JSG recently aligned a 97XP so I would hit him up for further details.

The directions to align your motor is in the seadoo manual. It explains it and has a couple pictures. It is in the free manual online. @ freeseadoomanuals and that is a .net by the way. It is a multi step process. First you align the motor, than you align the carrier bearing.

I will be doing my 98xpl very soon and will take lots of pictures and post it in my resto thread. Maybe I will do a how to with pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Figured it out but glad you said something about realigning the bearing, didn't know about that. Weird thing is my 97 has the carbon seal, 98 has the carrier bearing. I thought carrier bearing was on 95 and older ski's.

It's a color explosion! I'm trying to cram as much color in there as possible because I couldn't decide on which to stick with. I'll prob. Paint the air box as well. Engine is aligned, still waiting on a couple things to ship in to try and pin point where I'm losing spark....I suspect solenoid I hope.

91.jpg

I've been chasing electrical gremlins trying to get her to show me something for a while now. Switched out all the pos/neg cables from battery to starter.. greased all contacts I could think of..cleaned all contacts. I'm getting lights on the dash but nothing else. Don't want to go anymore forward with install because need the room to fiddle around.

Really wanted to have this one mechanically running before I deployed but not looking promising as I leave in the beginning of May. Wifi where I'm headed is scarce, but I'm sure I'll find a way to check out the forums lol I'm gonna go nuts thinking about all I need to do for these skis

We can meet up at my work sometime to find this issue. You didn't take my last working beeper last time and it sounds like you needed it. It should not take long to get you over this snag.

Make sure you have the cables attached to the battery good. I was testing some stuff on mine and just had the battery cables wedged into the battery and the dash lights were coming on and I was getting 2 beeps but it would not turn over so I bolted the cables to the battery and it fired right up.

We can meet up at my work sometime to find this issue. You didn't take my last working beeper last time and it sounds like you needed it. It should not take long to get you over this snag.
I may try a doorbell beeper like you suggested and see if it works to try and help. I'm off for a few weeks before I leave so just lemme know a good time brother

We should have done it today I'm up here waiting on the 96GSX guy and he is running late. OK, just got a text that says 5 min. I'll be up here every day next week so we'll get it done.

I need to borrow your alignment tool. My motor is ready to go in my XPL and I have the old school one that is only 140mm.

I may try a doorbell beeper like you suggested and see if it works to try and help. I'm off for a few weeks before I leave so just lemme know a good time brother

I have a radio shack beeper NIB that I don't need.
I can send it your way if you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back