RESTO Double trouble: 97 & 98 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good just lemme know when you're available.....this weekend? Or next

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We have spark! Turns out that it was the starter, switched em out but only turns over now when jumping solenoid. I don't think it's a bad solenoid,there is no audible sound like you hear when it's a junk solenoid. It still has the one short one long beep so I think the dess post or key needs to be reprogrammed (doubt the key is bad) or mpem is toast? I hope not. Oh well, still made some progress!

Threw some premix in the fuel tank and some oil in the oil tank ( I didn't bypass ) and also a squirt of oil down each carb (id rather foul a plug then no oil lol ) and tried to get her to purr. Didn't look like any oil was pushing through the lines from the oil pump to the carb manifold while holding throttle wide open.

Baby woke up so had to come back in, but I'm getting close fellas!

You know....life really gets in the way sometimes lol. I haven't been able to work on them in weeks, my lower back and sciatic nerve have been worse than ever, have been having a lot of physical therapy and doctor appointments to try and get it to a reasonable pain but no go so far. Bad back, kid growing up before my eyes, sick wife, work stuff....man I'm not short on excuses at least.

Took advantage of the WCSS black friday deals, ordered both seat covers, traction mats, and some nice grips for under $200 today.

I may try and pop a few muscle relaxers and get out there for a bit today. I wanna get my hands dirty so bad, withdrawals are kicking in hard. Doesn't help that I'll be deploying again in 5 months, so don't really have motivation to get them done for the summer season.

So yeah I don't really know what I did but she's turning over now haha. I decided to change out the dess post with the one from the 98 to see if that worked and it was a no joy.

So frustratingly I rechecked all my connections, weather paks, and plugged in my previously unplugged oil tank, wiping them down and re-greasing them...and got 2 beeps and she turned right on over.

Must've been a short because of the oil tank sensor? Or just needed some old grease wiped off the terminals (but id tried that before).....whatever it was, both posts work now.

Next problem, my oil lines from pump to rv manifold aren't priming, even after holding her wide open

So yeah I don't really know what I did but she's turning over now haha. I decided to change out the dess post with the one from the 98 to see if that worked and it was a no joy.

So frustratingly I rechecked all my connections, weather paks, and plugged in my previously unplugged oil tank, wiping them down and re-greasing them...and got 2 beeps and she turned right on over.

Must've been a short because of the oil tank sensor? Or just needed some old grease wiped off the terminals (but id tried that before).....whatever it was, both posts work now.

Next problem, my oil lines from pump to rv manifold aren't priming, even after holding her wide open

Premix it and fire it up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just did. Wasn't pulling in fuel either?

Poured some premix down the plugs and carbs and she cranked right up and sounded beautiful. Died after a couple revs, pulled the fuel hose and it looked dry. I'm sick right now so can't smell anything in the line to see if premix passed through

Guess I'm not getting a good seal somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
just ordered some handlebars for em to give them that faux UMI look lol anybody know where to find a good umi style 3 button holder for the start button and vts? not trying to drop $260 total for the real deal...seems a bit outrageous

i just purchased two brand spanking new winches with straps and tow hooks for the trailer = $40 bucks total....but i can't get a switch housing the size of my childs fist for under $120 lol....gotta love it

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn I shoulda asked, I get on ebay and can't control myself sometimes....too impatient. Picked up two sets with bat pads for 40

My internet shopping spree is starting to show up in the mail. Got my blacktip mats and seat covers on, grips, tto tach, and trailer winches in so far.

I grabbed the black diamond plate mats, I like the look

Part of my syphoning hose dropped in the tank....any tips on removal or do I have to take the fuel tank out

You could just rock it. It's not gonna clog the flow or anything. Otherwise I'm thinking of the little grabber on the end of a cable that comes with a magnet kit. It's about 2' long and has a little claw on the end like those machines where you get a chance to pick up a stuffed animal.

So I 'fabricated' up a plate for my dess and choke since I picked up some moto-x bars. I used a motor mount shim and bent it at an angle with my vise to attach to the old bar pad mount. Widened one of the slots on the shim with some metal shears for the dess. And then angled the bottom for extra slip protection. It's not pretty but it works!

Before I Widened the slot for dess post:

349.jpg

Installed:

350.jpg

351.jpg

Thanks man.

Went to try and get it to pull fuel to carbs again and saw there was oil in the hull....the oil pump hose had come loose somehow. The whole oil tank emptied.....f me right?

Almost made me wanna go premix at that moment lol there goes my scrubbed clean hull

Thanks man.

Went to try and get it to pull fuel to carbs again and saw there was oil in the hull....the oil pump hose had come loose somehow. The whole oil tank emptied.....f me right?

I just read all 11 pages of this saga. Did you ever get it to run? Takes a lot of time and patients to do all that work. Did you do anything on the 951 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back