RESTO Double trouble: 97 & 98 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got tired of sitting around this afternoon so while I can't do much under the hood, I figured i'd start prepping the outside. Picked up some aircraft paint remover at wal mart and holy crap! This stuff works fast, the stickers just peeled off!

PSA for anyone who doesn't read labels (me), wear gloves and don't get it on anything! I wore gloves but splattered a little on my foot and didn't notice.... until the intense burn kicked in..This stuff gave me a serious chemical burn, so be safe!

272.jpg

Aircraft makes great stuff. I have a hard time finding their adhiesive remover these days. If it touched plastic parts it would melt them.

got the beeper from ocod today and wired it up tonight....no beeps when lanyard initially attached, one beep (assuming the long beep the manual references, although long is a bit of an overstatement) after I hit the start/stop button. I hit the start/stop five times to reset, attached the lanyard and got the 2 short beeps, but then nothing.

so i've either got a bad lanyard, which i'm sure it isn't bad since it worked at Matts, and I haven't used it on anything since....or my MPEM isn't operating properly? According to the manual at least.

suggestions?

oh and Matt I'm dropping that alignment tool with the proper pump plate you need off tonight, sorry I've been struggling to get away with all the stuff going on before I leave. Doesn't look like i'll be able to bring the ski's over anytime before I head out unfortunately

just read that the 2short beeps in diagnostic mode means it either can't read the lanyard or has a bad magnet? I used both of my keys that Matt programmed for me, both did the same thing....so bad magnet?

Thanks for dropping that off. Whatever is wrong with that ski can be figured out quickly when you get back.

Realized when I dropped it off that I only brought the plate and extra forums for alignment shaft, and didn't bring the shaft holder that attaches to the plate. I'll bring it by tomorrow

So I've got the itch to work on the two bad...only thing is, i've still got 2 months left on deployment. So in the meantime I'm gonna post a few things as a self-reminder when I get back....so bare with me please. Just gonna be some rough pricing quotes, wants vs needs, etc etc

Exterior Appearance
- turf x2 / ~ $85 total on black friday sale WCSS (blacktip)
- seats x2 / ~ $ 85 total on black friday sale WCSS (blacktip)
- graphics 97 xp / ~ $125 at PWCGraphics (current is beyond repair, don't like plain 97 look)
- grips x2 / ~ $20-40 on various sites

Wants VS Needs
- UMI steering 98xpl / $$ varies, will look for deals throughout process - WANT
- Finger throttle x2 / have one, need correct throttle cable plate x2 WANT
- Various odds-ends 98xpl / create list when home of essential parts, price out NEED
- Performance x2 / $$ varies, non-engine performance parts, research/shop around WANT

To-Do List
- Complete go through of 97; fuel/oil lines, double check alignment, carbs, etc. Ask for Matt's help on electrical problem
- Paint Air box to complete the color explosion that is my interior
- Rebuild entire Jet pump, clean and grease up shaft (preventative for salt use)
- Seal off front two vents from hood to engine compartment? Also move MPEM?

- Clean clean of bilge, oil tank, rear hatch, waterbox etc. on 98
- Replace fuel lines, oil lines, double check anything and everything that is easy to do before motor install
- Paint Exhaust metallic blue (similar to RXX pipe in color)
- Motor install; check mounts, alignment, lines, starter connect, reeds, etc etc. (ask for problem areas usual in install)
- Check for spark (bit me in the ass on 97 install, pushed ahead before finding problem)
- Carbs, fuel and oil lines, exhaust assembly etc. etc. (again ask for problem areas usual in install)
- Rebuild entire jet pump

POS Trailer
- Sand down the paint and rust, prime and paint (galvanized paint?)
- Re-bunk, check bearings, re-strap winch, replace tire of jack
- interrogative - fix, paint, sell when find cheap galvanized double?

getting closer to being home! was looking into props since both the 97 and 98s are beat to hell and back. Suggestions? 97 is bone stock and the 98 is gonna be rejetted with prok's and the R&D head with 49cc domes that I picked up from a guy on GreenH through Craigslist

was reading about the solas 15/20 concord for the 98, but you know how it goes...you read and read and it seems like everyone has a different opinion

I've got stock props in real good shape. I'd start with a good wear ring and one of those in your 98 for super cheap. I've also heard good things about the 15/20. There are a couple seats here you might like as well, check them out before you spend any money in that department.

awesome yeah i've got a new wear ring but for the prop i always prefer buying from you over some fleabay turd anyday so i'll def. have to swing over to your neck of the woods here in a few days whenever you got the time. I get 2 weeks of R&R so I plan on hitting the garage for some much needed decompression once I'm home.......i mean........after I give my family some time......yeah......of course lol

Shoutout to mcycleski for hooking me up with the carb part I needed. Finally got some garage time in and installing the exhaust and gaskets....one of the bolts refuses to screw in straight. Oh how I've missed this

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what I was thinking but took a break, back was hurting. Gotta find it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back