RESTO Double trouble: 97 & 98 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son of a....

422.jpg

Broke the plastic nipple off.

423.jpg

Why mikuni would design it with a plastic nipple idk....I thought it was brass so I was tugging too hard (that's what she said)

Also my silicone coolant line came in.... not the colors I was expecting. Garden hose green doesn't exactly pop....

424.jpg

that's a return line if my memory serves correct. You may not need to replace the a-pump lines but you should at least pull them off the carbs and check the fitting to be sure the check valve isn't stuck. You should be able to swap out the plate. I doubt you can find just the nipple . Get a razor blade and slit the lines instead of trying to yank them off

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also be careful with that after market air cleaner on the 951. The 97+ hull can be very wet inside especially if a novice is trying to get on and rolls it and the 951 does not like to ingest any water at all. If you never roll it I am sure it will be fine unless you develop the dreaded pipe leak.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

Meanwhile, 951 carbs were relatively spotless. 787... not so much. Further advancing the thought that the ski was dunked and put away wet. Tempo wasn't kind either.

426.jpg

427.jpg

Meh those carbs can be cleaned. They have a little rotary brush kit at harbor freight you can buy to clean those up. Racer did it in his 96xp resto with those and he polished an absolute turd sparkly clean

Parts keep arriving daily. I'm almost ready to throw the motors in. Got the old cracked and rigged-up silver cowling off and the new hood on. Bit of a bigger Bit*h than I thought it would be. Especially all the cords and cables going back in, without a hood shock (It shit the bed, new one on way)

Missing some screws also.... this garage needs a damn cleaning

446.jpg

Hey [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] did I happen to leave my oil pump cable attached to the motor we swapped? I can't find it anywhere

In other news, got the carbs rebuilt, both fuel tanks drained, *cleaned the garage!!!!*, and have started replacing fuel lines. These are not fun in this tight space and all these metal clamps. Can't get a good angle

I have tons of those cables so I'll set a good one aside for you.

Yeah if you pull the seat there is a big rubber plug that gives you access to those lines. Use a 1/4" nut driver rather then a flathead for the clamps and it goes a little smoother.

I got the rubber plug off, just couldn't get a good angle.... it's got the oem Oetiker clamps, a nut driver for those?

Thanks Btw, I'll bring those rave valves and leave em for you. Just lemme know when you leave it out for me

On those old fuel lines, a lot of them should just pull right off of the fuel sender without even removing the clamps. Try that

Quick question, put the engine back in and hooked up the pos/neg, plugged it up to the mpem, and was gonna test it before I kept putting things in.....

.... but I'm getting nothing. Lights up, but no juice to the starter. Have juice to the solenoid, jumped the solenoid and still nothing. Am I missing something?

Keep getting goodies in the mail... now to just figure out this electrical issue and I'm getting dangerously close to having the 97 mechanically complete

347.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Might just be my computer, but that pic int showing up...maybe tapatalk?

Rob

Keep getting goodies in the mail... now to just figure out this electrical issue and I'm getting dangerously close to having the 97 mechanically complete

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/
v2/15/03/16/cbd52fa701d9a092fc1c8291e3c2aa3b.jpg

Edited. It wasn't showing up for me either.

Some hose in one of those packages is the wrong size :( its 1/4" OD instead of ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back