RESTO Double trouble: 97 & 98 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not happy with the paint job, didn't dry right. It's been 24 hours and if I push on it with a finger it leaves a finger print. I primed, 2 coats 2 hours apart, and clear coated after. Suggestions?

Usually with spray paint you have to recoat with 1 hr or after 24 hours. I assume the humidity is high being in south florida. Maybe try putting a fan in front of it for a few hours.

It usually takes me 2 days to paint the motor. Day one i prime 2 very light coats, 2 light coats of color. Next day I come back and hit it with 2-3 coats of clear. Since it is so humid in florida you may need to paint the clear in your garage with a dehumidifier running or it will fog up. Also put a fan infront of it to get the paint to dry fast. You need air movement not heat to get the clear to dry.

Close your garage up, run the dehumidifier for a couple hours before you paint and leave it running until the clear is dry.

Jsg has you on the right track, although I don't think you need a dehumidifier. Sounds like you tried to do to much work in to short of time. Build up the base with thin light coats, then a few heavier wet coats, then wait to clear. As far as priming a painted engine I think you could have skipped that step and went straight to paint. Did you use the same brand primer and paint?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Yes I used all rustoleum. I'll follow the steps given, I think yall are right in that I rushed it with too much paint too fast.

Lol, like my wife. She wants to put the paint on a room in one coat. She has been banned from any painting in our house for life.

The only reason i brought up the dehumidifier was [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] was having issues with the clear fogging. That is usually the clear pulling the humidity in. He lives close to him and didn't want him to have the same issue

Lol, like my wife. She wants to put the paint on a room in one coat. She has been banned from any painting in our house for life.

I have the same issue with my fiance, she wants it all done instantly, she also wont pull the door handle off the door she tries painting around them:facepalm:

I make sure I am home now for any paint projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, sorry. Perhaps I should have said, slow and steady wins the race. Sorry bro, I didn't even think of that.

still poking around the 98 xpl trying to round up the parts that are missing. I hate the air box on these so any suggestions of arrestors? Found a few in the $100-150 range on a few different sites, R&D and ProK's.

Also still looking for some carbs, figured i'd shoot it by ya'll before buying off of ebay since that's more of a part-out piece so trying to throw ya'll my money instead of some random ebay guy

OH! and I let the engine paint dry with a fan and humidifier, and have been hitting it with a very light coat of clear every day since. It's no longer soft and is look pretty damn good if I may say so myself

I bet [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] will make you a package deal

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Pumped out the bad gas, smelled terrible

Currently removing seat. Gotta get to the fuel lines, need to reupholster anyway

382.jpg

Quick question on fuel and cooling lines, I know the x4 hulls and similar older hulls use about 20-25 feet of 1/4". Is the 97 hull about the same amount of feet? I also read that the 951 uses 5/16" line, just wanted confirmation.

Also looking to get some type of bright colored cooling line, saw where Kicker used McMaster - Carr line, but the color choices aren't what I'm looking for. Suggestions?

Got the seats off, ready to order me some spools of line! I love replacing those Tempos, to hell with em!

You have a combo of 5/16 and 1/4 on the 951. THe return lines are 1/4 the lines in inbetween the carbs are also 1/4 but from the fuel tank to the valve to the water separator are 5/16 then from the sep to the carbs is 5/16

[MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] 's goodies came in, and I gotta say it got here fast and with some cool stickers and cards. Thanks bro!

Time to scrub

421.jpg

Not hating, surprised you're not asking how the F did you know what it was from the back, in the distance, in a blurry pic.

I go thru that stuff like water.

Make sure you keep that small line from the base of the carbs to the accelerator pump it has a jet in it you will need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back