World news from the SDB network.......

Live bomb found in bloated squid

3-pound, eggplant-shaped bomb could have exploded at any time

Talk about an explosive discovery.

A live bomb was found inside a bloated squid caught off the coast of China.

The squid was caught off the coast of Guangdong province and taken to a fish market in Jiaoling County, where handlers discovered the 3-pound, eggplant-shaped explosive after the animal had been slaughtered, China Daily reported.
Quick Clicks

Authorities said it could have exploded at any time had it be handled improperly.

Local police suggested the rusted bomb could have fallen from a fighter jet, although no one yet knows how old it is.

"Perhaps (the squid) thought the bomb was his favorite food and gulped it down," Mr. Huang, the man who found the bomb, told the Guangzhou Daily. "He certainly had a big belly when he was caught."

Police later detonated the bomb in a controlled explosion, according to The Telegraph.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.

Man rams car into Calif. Wal-Mart, 4 injured

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — A man in a large red sedan hit two cars in the parking lot of a San Jose Wal-Mart before ramming the car through the front of the store then assaulting customers inside, officials said. The attack injured four people, one of them seriously.

The man crashed the Oldsmobile Cutlass through the storefront near the pharmacy Sunday and collided with a beer display before stopping, police and witnesses said.

The unidentified driver then got out of his car and used a blunt object to attack people, San Jose police Officer Albert Morales said. The driver was arrested when officers arrived.

Investigators have not determined how fast the driver — described as a man in his 30s — was going at the time of the crash but the car went about 20 feet into the Wal-Mart Supercenter that had about 70 people inside in San Jose, Morales said.

One person suffered what Morales described as serious injuries. He did not know the extent of the injuries to the three other people but said they were not life-threatening. The injured included a store employee.

There was no immediate word about what motivated the suspect.

Customer Sharon Kaye told the San Jose Mercury News the driver sideswiped her car as he made several runs around the parking lot before driving between poles at the entrance and crashing into the store.

"At first, I thought I may have done something to anger him while driving," she said. "But then I realized he was out to get into the store."

After the crash, the entrance to the Wal-Mart was roped off with yellow police tape, and workers put up large boards covering the automatic doors where the car had entered.

A Wal-Mart spokeswoman told the Mercury News that the store remained shut down for several hours, and an employee was among those hurt.

"We're obviously very concerned about the associate who was injured," spokeswoman Kory Lundberg said.

Shopper and witness Tianna Doan told the newspaper the employee was a cashier who was hit with the object and had a head injury.

Calls to the store by The Associated Press went unanswered Sunday. Associated Press

I'm sorry for the people that were injured but the "BEER DISPLAY" Oh My Gosh....what a waste

Lost Civil War ring returned to kin of Pa. soldier

John Blue, Manassas, Va., and Ernie Schlegel, hold a ring during a ceremony...(The kin of the Civil War soldier)...sorry no pic copied

READING, Pa. (AP) — A ring lost by a Union soldier from Pennsylvania during the Civil War has completed a long journey home.

The ring was worn by Levi Schlegel, a Reading-area native who is believed to have lost it nearly 150 years ago at an encampment near Fredericksburg, Va.

Relic hunter John Blue found the ring at a construction site in 2005. Though it was engraved with Schlegel's name and unit — "Co. G., 198th P.V.," or Pennsylvania Volunteers — Blue wasn't sure how to find Schlegel's descendants, and kept the ring in a box for several years.

A genealogist ultimately helped Blue track down Schlegel's family. On Tuesday, Blue presented the ring to a distant cousin during a ceremony at Levi Schlegel's grave in Reading.

"This is truly a hero's journey," said the cousin, Ernie Schlegel.

Another distant relative, James W. Schlegel of Reading, said he felt pride as he touched the ring.

"I think about all the time that passed since Levi and so many others fought for our freedom," Schlegel, who served in the Air Force during the Vietnam War, told the Reading Eagle. "As a veteran, I know the importance of fighting for freedom, and I'm proud to know the Schlegel family did its part."

After the war, Levi Schlegel returned to Reading, where he worked as a carpenter and helped raise 11 children. He died in 1932 at age 91.

———

Information from: Reading Eagle, http://www.readingeagle.com/

i'm going to hell... not for posting this but for laughing my ass off after I did...

ACLU: Detroit Police Dumping Homeless Outside City

DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan says Detroit police are removing homeless people from the popular Greektown entertainment district downtown and dropping them off miles away — sometimes outside the city.

Following a year-long investigation, the ACLU filed a complaint with the U.S. Justice Department and sent a letter to Detroit police demanding an end to what they call a “disturbing practice.”

“DPD’s practice of essentially kidnapping homeless people and abandoning them miles away from the neighborhoods they know – with no means for a safe return — is inhumane, callous and illegal,” said Sarah Mehta, ACLU of Michigan staff attorney. “The city’s desire to hide painful reminders of our economic struggles cannot justify discriminating against the poor, banishing them from their city, and endangering their lives. A person who has lost his home has not lost his right to be treated with dignity.”

The organization says it started receiving complaints last year and that the homeless are told they are not welcome in Greektown, which is popular with visitors to Detroit. The people are then forced in to vans, driven away and then deserted.

Mehta told WWJ Newsradio 950 that what police are doing is not just illegal, but inhumane.

“They’re being approached and harassed by police, not necessarily for anything they’re doing, but just because of the way that they look,” Mehta said. “Often they’re being dropped off late at night in neighborhoods that they don’t know. Police often take any money they have out of their pockets and force them to walk back to Detroit, with no guarantee of any safety.”

The ACLU listed the stories of five people who said they were doing nothing illegal when they were “taken for a ride” by Detroit police. (Read about them here).

“One of the warming centers drew our attention to it,” ACLU spokeswoman Rana Elmir told the Associated Press. ”We then spoke to the impacted individuals. There are many more stories.”

Andrew Sheehan, 37, said it has happened to him at least four times since December 2011.

Sheehan said every person, no matter their social status, deserves dignity and respect.

Ok, if you laugh.... I'll see you in hell boys !!!!

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/04/18/aclu-detroit-police-dumping-homeless-outside-city/

Spim YUP, that story is all over the news up here.

How about this one.....Boat ramp closed due to high water.....

Boating Update:
The Department of Natural Resources today announced that due to recent levels of precipitation, high water conditions at some public boat launches are such that it is considered unsafe to launch watercraft at the ramps. To check which sites are temporarily closed until water levels are reduced, please visit the Michigan Recreational Boating Information System (MRBIS) at www.mcgi.state.mi.us/mrbis and and locate your site to see if the ramp is open, before making any travel plans.

For more information on boating opportunities and safety, visit the DNR website at www.michigan.gov/boating.

I don't know if anyone knows or even cares but the had the World Equestrian Games here a couple of years ago. Well before the games the police had what some of us (certainly not me), referred to as the Wino Roundup. Where they were shipped to I don't know.

Added:

I almost forgot the reason it was called the Wino Roundup is in downtown Lexington we have horse mounted police, and while they probably didn't do all the work they did participate.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:

72,000 ladybugs released in Mall of America

Black and red bugs touted as natural alternative to pesticides
Published On: Apr 25 2013 10:58:59 AM EDT Updated On: Apr 25 2013 10:59:46 AM EDT

Third-graders released 72,000 ladybugs into the Mall of America this week.

But it wasn't an accident. They were supposed to.

The ladybugs are being used as a natural way to get rid of the many aphids feeding on the 30,000 live plants housed in the fully enclosed shopping mall and entertainment complex in Bloomington, Minn., according to LiveScience.com.

Turns out, ladybugs are the natural enemy of aphids.

"Ladybugs are what I like to call, sort of a biological defense system," Lydell Newby, the Mall of America's senior manager of environmental services, told Minneapolis TV station KARE.

While some shoppers worry the bugs might fly onto their meals, a Mall of America spokesman says ladybugs spend most of their lives eating plants, not human food.

I thought this was interesting:
The Mall of America also converts fryer fat from its restaurants into biofuel for security vehicles, and uses passive solar heat from its 1.2 miles of skylights to heat the complex, according to the mall website.

I don't know if anyone knows or even cares but the had the World Equestrian Games here a couple of years ago. Well before the games the police had what some of us (certainly not me), referred to as the Wino Roundup. Where they were shipped to I don't know.

Added:

I almost forgot the reason it was called the Wino Roundup is in downtown Lexington we have horse mounted police, and while they probably didn't do all the work they did participate.

Lou

I went to Lousiville for a wedding back in the fall, and we tood a drive over to Keenland for a few races.. enjoyed it quite a bit, I couldn't resist taking a LOT of detours on the ride over and back, checking out all the horse farms. my only complaint was that one of the whiskey tour's closed like 5 minutes before we got there, and I really wanted to do that tour !!!

Actually I plan to return to the area next fall as well just for the heck of it, it was really nice to have some 'brisk' fall weather after a long hot summer in Florida.

Spim,

The next time you get up this way let me know we'll hook up, maybe even got to Keeneland, I don't think I would even have to twist my wife's arm.

Lou

Spim,

The next time you get up this way let me know we'll hook up, maybe even got to Keeneland, I don't think I would even have to twist my wife's arm.

Lou

will do. now if I can just get my brain to remember this discussion 14 months from now :)

Florida man attacked by alligator while fleeing cops

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man is recovering after being attacked by an alligator while fleeing deputies during a traffic stop.

The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office says 20-year-old Bryan Zuniga was pulled over for failing to maintain a single lane Thursday at about 2:50 a.m.

Deputies say Zuniga stopped the vehicle and jumped out of the passenger door. He then broke through a vinyl fence and escaped.

The Tampa Bay area man was found at a local hospital a few hours later. He was being treated for multiple puncture wounds to the face, arm and armpit area. He told deputies he had been attacked by an alligator near a water treatment plant.

He has been charged with fleeing police, driving with a suspended or revoked license and resisting an officer without violence.

Winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida

$590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Fla

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — It's all about the odds, and one lone ticket in Florida has beaten them all by matching each of the numbers drawn for the highest Powerball jackpot in history at an estimated $590.5 million, lottery officials said Sunday.

The single winner was sold at a supermarket in Zephyrhills, Fla., according to Florida Lottery executive Cindy O'Connell. She told The Associated Press by telephone that more details would be released later.

"This would be the sixth Florida Powerball winner and right now, it's the sole winner of the largest ever Powerball jackpot," O'Connell told AP. "We're delighted right now that we have the sole winner."

She said Florida has had more Powerball winners than any other state.

The winner was not immediately identified publicly and O'Connell did not give any indication just hours after Saturday's drawing whether anyone had already stepped forward with that winning ticket.

With four out of every five possible combinations of Powerball numbers in play, lottery executives said earlier that someone was almost certain to win the game's highest jackpot, a windfall of hundreds of millions of dollars — and that's after taxes.

Saturday night's winning numbers were 10, 13, 14, 22 and 52, with a Powerball of 11.

Estimates had earlier put the jackpot at around $600 million. But Powerball's online site said Sunday that the jackpot had reached an estimated $590.5 million.

Terry Rich, CEO of the Iowa Lottery, initially confirmed that one Florida winning ticket had been sold. He told AP that following the Florida winner, the Powerball grand prize was being reset at an estimated jackpot of $40 million, or about $25.1 million cash value.

The chances of winning the prize were astronomically low: 1 in 175.2 million. That's how many different ways you can combine the numbers when you play. But lottery officials estimated that about 80 percent of those possible combinations had been purchased recently.

While the odds are low for any one individual or individuals, O'Connell said, the chance that one hits paydirt is what makes Powerball an "exciting game to play."

"There is just the chance that you will have the opportunity and Florida is a huge Powerball state. We have had more winners than any other state that participates in Powerball."

Such longshot odds didn't deter people across Powerball-playing states — 43 plus Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands — from lining up at gas stations and convenience stores Saturday for their chance at striking it filthy rich.

Calls by AP to the Publix supermarket outlet in Florida where the winning ticket was sold were not answered Sunday.

A Tiger has 4-lb hairball removed from stomach

BluePearl Photo by James Judge
CLEARWATER, Fla. -

A 17-year-old tiger had a four-pound hairball removed from its stomach on Wednesday.

Ty the tiger underwent surgery at BluePearl Veterinary Partners specialty and emergency hospital in Clearwater.

Ty was brought to the hospital Monday because he hadn't eaten for nearly two weeks. Doctors found the hairball inside his stomach during a scope.

“I’m just extremely thankful for the help Dr. Woodman, Dr. Reems (the surgeons who removed the hairball) and the staff at BluePearl provided,” said Vernon Yates, founder of Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Inc., the organization who takes care of Ty.

What would you do with the money?????

Boy, 10, finds $10,000 in Kansas City hotel room

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A 10-year-old boy who found $10,000 in a drawer at a Kansas City hotel where he was staying with his dad turned the money over to police.

Tyler Schaefer found the neatly stacked bills Saturday in the room where he and his father, Cody Schaefer, were staying at a hotel near the airport, The Kansas City Star reported (http://bit.ly/16sloUJ). Cody Schaefer, a truck driver and mechanic from Rapid City, S.D., meets his former wife in Kansas City every year to get his three children for summer vacation.

Cody Schaefer said Tyler, a Cub Scout, is always on the lookout for clues and treasure.

"He looks for stuff at random," Schaefer said of his son. "He's very observant."

Schaefer said after they checked into their room Saturday, Tyler began opening all the drawers, and it wasn't too long before Tyler announced: "I found money!"

Schaefer thought maybe his son had found a forgotten $10 bill, but when he looked closer he saw the stack of bills totaling $10,000. He wondered if the bills were fake, but saw they had the appropriate watermarks and seemed legitimate.

"We didn't know what to do at first," Schaefer said.

Schaefer told his son they couldn't keep the cash because they didn't know who it belonged to. They handed the money over to two off-duty police officers working security at the hotel. The officers contacted Sgt. Randy Francis, a property and evidence supervisor, who stored the cash at a police facility.

Police said it's unclear how long the money had been there, and they can't track down every guest who stayed in that room recently. Police spokesman Capt. Tye Grant said Thursday no one had claimed the money yet.

According to a Missouri statute, lost money could revert to a finder after about seven months if no one can prove ownership. But the owner then has another year to prove the money is his or hers and claim it from the finder.

"I didn't come there with $10,000 and I didn't leave with $10,000," Cody Schaefer said. "So it was a wash."

———

Information from: The Kansas City Star, http://www.kcstar.com

Florida authorities say a 70-year-old man used an elaborate trailer to steal thousands of gallons of gas.

LAKELAND, Fla. — A 70-year-old man has been charged with grand theft after police watched him siphon off more than 900 gallons of gasoline from underground storage tanks at two gas stations, the Polk County authorities said Wednesday.

Deputies witnessed Hobert Gibson steal gasoline from two stations Tuesday, but sheriff officials believe he did this on a daily basis since at least January. The two gas stations he hit that day were about 40 miles from his Winter Haven home, and police believe it was typical for Gibson to visit a few stations per day across a wide geographical area. He is believed to have sold the stolen gasoline, which he stored at his towing company.

Gibson outfitted a stolen box trailer with tanks able to hold 3,250 gallons and with a trap door underneath, police said. He would pull over near the underground storage tank at a gas station, pop the trailer's hood and pretend to fix a problem, as the trap door obscured the view of gas being pumped into the tanks.

Once Gibson even chatted with a Florida Highway Patrol officer while on one of his missions, he told investigators after his arrest, sheriff's spokeswoman Carrie Rodgers said.

"It was broad daylight, nobody knew that's what he was doing," Rodgers said. "He was that good at it."

Gibson was being held without bond at Hernando County jail because he faces theft charges in multiple counties. It was not known if he had an attorney.

This is an old one, but one of my favorites...you the man Hobert Gibson! Here's a link to the story with video that shows the trailer setup...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21368817/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/-year-old-accused-stealing-gas-regularly/

Back