World news from the SDB network.......

Popular bathroom wipes blamed for sewer clogs in N. Y.

BEMUS POINT, N.Y. (AP) — Increasingly popular bathroom wipes — pre-moistened towelettes that are often advertised as flushable — are being blamed for creating clogs and backups in sewer systems around the nation.

Waste water authorities say wipes may go down the toilet, but even many labeled flushable aren't breaking down as they course through the sewer system. That's costing some municipalities millions of dollars to dispatch crews to unclog pipes and pumps and to replace and upgrade machinery.

The problem got so bad in this western New York community this summer that sewer officials set up traps — basket strainers in sections of pipe leading to an oft-clogged pump — to figure out which households the wipes were coming from. They mailed letters and then pleaded in person for residents to stop flushing them.

"We could walk right up, knock on the door and say, 'Listen, this problem is coming right from your house,'" said Tom Walsh, senior project coordinator at South & Center Chautauqua Lake Sewer Districts, which was dispatching crews at least once a week to clear a grinder pump that would seize up trying to shred the fibrous wipes.

The National Association of Clean Water Agencies, which represents 300 waste water agencies, says it has been hearing complaints about wipes from sewer systems big and small for about the last four years.

That roughly coincides with the ramped-up marketing of the "flushable cleansing cloths" as a cleaner, fresher option than dry toilet paper alone. A trade group says wipes are a $6 billion-a-year industry, with sales of consumer wipes increasing nearly 5 percent a year since 2007 and expected to grow at a rate of 6 percent annually for the next five years.

One popular brand, Cottonelle, has a campaign called "Let's talk about your bum" and ads showing people trying to wash their hair with no water. It ends with the tagline: "You can't clean your hair without water, so why clean your bum that way?"

Manufacturers insist wipes labeled flushable aren't the problem, pointing instead to baby and other cleaning wipes marked as nonflushable that are often being used by adults.

"My team regularly goes sewer diving" to analyze what's causing problems, said Trina McCormick, a senior manager at Kimberly-Clark Corp., maker of Cottonelle. "We've seen the majority, 90 percent in fact, are items that are not supposed to be flushed, like paper towels, feminine products or baby wipes."

Waste water officials agree that wipes, many of which are made from plastic, aren't the only culprits but say their problems have escalated with the wipes market.

Vancouver, Wash., sewer officials say wipes labeled as flushable are a big part of a problem that has caused that city to spend more than $1 million in the last five years replacing three large sewage pumps and eight smaller ones that were routinely clogging.

To prove their point, they dyed several kinds of wipes and sent them through the sewer for a mile to see how they would break up. They didn't.

Those labeled flushable, engineer Frank Dick said, had "a little rips and tears but still they were intact."

The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, which serves Montgomery and Prince George's counties in Maryland, has also spent more than $1 million over five years installing heavy-duty grinders, while the Orange County, Calif., Sanitation District, in a single year recorded 971 "de-ragging" maintenance calls on 10 pump stations at a cost of $320,000.

Clogging problems in Waukesha, Wis., prompted the sewer authority there to create a "Keep Wipes out of Pipes" flier. And Ocean City, Md., and Sitka, Alaska, are among cities that have also publicly asked residents not to flush wipes, regardless of whether they are labeled flushable.

The problem got worldwide attention in July when London sewer officials reported removing a 15-ton "bus-sized lump" of wrongly flushed grease and wet wipes, dubbed the "fatberg."

The complaints have prompted a renewed look at solving the problem.

The Association of the Nonwoven Fabrics Industry, the trade group known as INDA, recently revised voluntary guidelines and specified seven tests for manufacturers to use to determine which wipes to call flushable. It also recommends a universal do-not-flush logo — a crossed-out stick figure and toilet — be prominently displayed on non-dispersible products.

The waste water industry would prefer mandatory guidelines and a say in what's included but supports the INDA initiatives as a start. Three major waste water associations issued a joint statement with INDA last week to signal a desire to reach a consensus on flushability standards.

"If I'm doing the test, I'm going to throw a wipe in a bucket of water and say it has to disintegrate," said Rob Villee, executive director of the Plainfield Area Regional Sewage Authority in New Jersey.

Nicholas Arhontes, director of facilities support services in Orange County, Calif., has an even simpler rule for what should go down the toilet.

"Only flush pee, poop and toilet paper," he said, "because those are the only things that sanitary sewers were really designed for in the old days."

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130923/US--Wipe.Woes/

Associated Press

Avoid riding your ski in sewage lakes! If you must, get a Muffin Monster jet pump attachment.

Some facial washes are loaded with microscopic plastic beads. Researchers are finding microscopic plastic beads in river waters now, fish eat these beads mistaking them for food.

Radioactive waste and chemical solvents from hydraulic fracturing is disposed of by hauling waste drill water to municipal sewage treatment facilities, the radioactive waste is discharged into rivers.

McDonalds is finally switching from disposable plastic coffee cups to paper cups.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoid riding your ski in sewage lakes! If you must, get a Muffin Monster jet pump attachment.

Some facial washes are loaded with microscopic plastic beads. Researchers are finding microscopic plastic beads in river waters now, fish eat these beads mistaking them for food.

Radioactive waste and chemical solvents from hydraulic fracturing is disposed of by hauling waste drill water to municipal sewage treatment facilities, the radioactive waste is discharged into rivers.

McDonalds is finally switching from disposable plastic coffee cups to paper cups.

Might be a tad difficult to attach that to a Seadoo :)

Montana woman too drunk to get out of car calls 911...:cheers:
:auto:
Thu Oct 10, 9:28 PM UTC

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — A woman is charged with felony drunken driving after police in Billings, Mont., say she called 911 and said she was too drunk to get out of her vehicle.

The Billings Gazette reports (http://bit.ly/1ebGHK8 ) 55-year-old Carol Frances Omeara made an initial appearance in Yellowstone County Justice Court on Wednesday. She remained jailed Thursday on $3,000 bond.

Omeara was arrested Tuesday night after a woman called dispatchers and said she couldn't get out of her vehicle.

The dispatcher asked if she was having medical or mechanical issues. Court records say the caller replied that she was too drunk.

Prosecutors say Omeara's blood-alcohol level was 0.311 percent, nearly four times the limit at which a driver is considered legally intoxicated. The Billings woman had the keys to the vehicle in her pocket.

Court records say Omeara has three previous DUI convictions.

———

Information from: Billings Gazette, http://www.billingsgazette.com

Harley-Davidson recalls over 29,000 motorcycles to fix clutch issues

Oct 16 (Reuters) - U.S. motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson Inc said on Wednesday it is voluntarily recalling more than 29,000 of its 2014 touring motorcycles because of a problem with their hydraulic clutch system.

Recalled models include 25,185 touring motorcycles and 3,861 Custom Vehicle Operations and Trikes built between May 3 and Oct. 14, 2013.

The recalls include a "Do Not Ride" notice to owners and a "Do Not Deliver" notice to Harley-Davidson dealers until the motorcycle is fixed.

"Some of these motorcycles may exhibit a condition in which the hydraulic clutch system may lose the ability to generate enough lift to disengage the clutch," the Milwaukee-based company said in a statement.

Harley-Davidson said it is proceeding with the recalls consistent with National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's process, though the U.S. government body is closed due to the partial government shutdown.

Harley-Davidson said if the clutch does not disengage as intended, the rider may have difficulty slowing or stopping the motorcycle, which could result in an accident. "The repairs have been identified and should take less than one hour."

Harley-Davidson recalled more than 300,000 motorcycles worldwide in 2011 due to problems with the rear brake light switch.

Harley-Davidson said in July that it expects to ship 259,000 to 264,000 motorcycles to dealers worldwide in 2013, up from 247,625 in 2012.

A clutch that does not disengage is basically now a weapon....

Can you imagine the shock. Pulling up to a light at even a slow 30 MPH and you can not stop. And to top it off,,, you are sitting on top of a leather seat and two tires...

Will not end well.

My prayers to these people. Any SDF members near there....give us the inside scoop.

Power lines blamed for 2 of Australia's fires
Australia fires torch nearly 200 homes

NSW Rural Fire Service
(CNN) -

Two of the dozens of bush fires burning out of control in the eastern Australian state of New South Wales were sparked by power lines that had been buffeted by strong winds, fire officials said Saturday, citing preliminary investigations.

In the Springwood fire, 193 homes have been destroyed and another 109 damaged. In the Mt. Victoria fire, seven homes have been destroyed and one damaged, the New South Wales Rural Fire Service said in a statement.

Fire investigators were still looking into the cause of the other fires.
Quick Clicks

Shutdown's impact may continue for...
Bidder pays $1.7 million for Titanic...
2 workers killed by BART train
Ted Cruz, back in Texas, rails against...
Mexico cartel figure killed at Cabo...
Greek police seek parents of mystery...

Earlier, authorities said they were trying to determine whether one of the fires was caused by a military training exercise.

A huge blaze near Lithgow, New South Wales, started on October 16, when officials "were conducting an explosive ordnance training activity," the Australian Department of Defense said.

Investigators were trying to determine whether the two events are linked, the statement said.

Authorities said this week that some 95 fires were burning and that 34 of them were out of control.

The Springwood and Winmalee areas of the Blue Mountains were among the hardest hit, the fire service said. It suggested residents seek shelter and protect themselves from the heat. Emergency alert telephone warning messages were being sent to people in the area, the fire service said.

The fires have caused numerous road closures in the state, the fire service said, adding that a damage assessment was underway.

At least one fatality has been reported. Walter Lindner, 63, died of a suspected heart attack on Friday while defending his home against a blaze on the New South Wales Central Coast, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported.

Lindner collapsed while working alongside his neighbor to save his heritage-listed homestead, according to ABC. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The toll has been emotional for many. "I said to my husband, I remembered when he carried me across the threshold," a 54-year-old woman whose house was a total loss told Reuters. "I've got to start again, but we will ... as a family, together."

The Blue Mountains area is a UNESCO World Heritage Site west of Sydney. Fires sent plumes of smoke into the air.

New South Wales Premier Barry O'Farrell warned Thursday that hundreds of homes could be destroyed.

Footage broadcast earlier by CNN affiliate Seven Network showed flames consuming homes.

Copyright 2013 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved.

I do know via Facebook that some of the free ride guys that attend the rip and ride were affected, I read one guys house burnt to the ground.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4

We all need to say a prayer for them, that is about all we can do from here for now. I hate to think of something like that near my home or my daughter's home, which I grew up in. I sure hope that they can slow those fires, especially the two big ones they think may get together and make an uncontrollable fire.

Hawaii surfer throws punches to escape shark

LIHUE, Hawaii (AP) — A 25-year-old Hawaii surfer and former boxer went toe-to-fin with a shark off Kauai and survived.

Jeff Horton was surfing Sunday morning with about 10 others near Kilauea when someone spotted a fin in the water, The Garden Island ((http://bit.ly/16t74Gl) reported.

Twenty minutes later, Horton was sitting on his surfboard with his legs dangling in the water when he spotted a dark shape approaching from the left. He thought it was a stingray — dark on top, white on the bottom.

"It came flying straight toward me," he said.

He pulled his left leg out of the water and the shark got a mouth full of surfboard.

The impact knocked Horton off the board. He rolled onto the shark and grabbed a fin.

On top of the shark, holding on with one hand, he began punching as hard as he could with his other fist. He estimated he landed eight blows.

"I finally got one nice punch into the eye," Horton said. "I put some really good hits on it, for sure."

When his knuckled jammed into the shark's eye, the shark spit out the board and retreated.

Horton scrambled onto his board. With another surfer, he caught a wave and paddled toward shore.

The shark briefly followed but did not attack again, he said.

After they reached shore, a tourist gave him $50 and told him to buy a bottle. Horton's only injuries were scratches from the shark's rough skin.

The 7-foot board, however, was left with a semi-circle imprint of the shark's jaws.

It will not go back in the water.

"I'm going to put it up on my wall," Horton said.

He surfed again Monday at another beach.

———

Information from: The Garden Island, http://thegardenisland.com/

3 species discovered in Australian rainforest
Scientists say species have been isolated for millions of years
Author: By Eliott C. McLaughlin CNN
Published On: Oct 28 2013 10:36:29 AM EDT

Australia......
Australia.jpg

(CNN) -
Scientists have found what they're describing as a "lost world" on the northern tip of Queensland, Australia, (Where on this map is it) hosting at least three previously undocumented species, including a frog that makes love in the rain.

The discovered species, which also include a leaf-tail gecko and a golden skink, have been isolated in a remote mountain range on Cape York Peninsula for millions of years, according to James Cook University.

The joint expedition between the university and National Geographic in March led James Cook's Conrad Hoskin and Harvard University researcher Tim Laman, a National Geographic photographer, to the rugged range in northeast Australia's Cape Melville, where millions of black granite boulders as big as houses and cars are piled hundreds of meters high.

Scientists have previously surveyed the base of the cape mountains, but the hot, dry, boulder-strewn rainforest on the plateau atop them is largely unexplored.

A helicopter took Hoskin, Laman and a National Geographic film crew to the uplands.

"Finding three new, obviously distinct vertebrates would be surprising enough in somewhere poorly explored like New Guinea, let alone in Australia, a country we think we've explored pretty well," Hoskin said in a statement from the university.

The scientists found a "host of other interesting species" that may also be new to science, but the three vertebrates, which are described as highly distinct, will be documented in this month's issue of Zootaxa, a peer-reviewed journal for animal taxonomists.

Hoskin said the highlight of the expedition was the Cape Melville Leaf-Tailed Gecko, a "primitive-looking" lizard that is considered a relic from the days when the rainforest was more widespread in Australia. It can grow up to 20 centimeters (almost 8 inches) long.

The gecko is a night hunter and hides in the boulders during the day. At night, the highly camouflaged critter sits motionless, head down, awaiting passing insects and spiders on rocks and in trees. Its big eyes and long, slender body and limbs are likely "adaptations to life in the dimly lit boulder fields," the release said.

Hoskin, who said he knew it was a new species as soon as he saw it, named it Saltuarius eximius, meaning exceptional or exquisite, in reference to its distinct appearance.

"The Cape Melville Leaf-Tailed Gecko is the strangest new species to come across my desk in 26 years working as a professional herpetologist. I doubt that another new reptile of this size and distinctiveness will be found in a hurry, if ever again, in Australia," said Patrick Couper, curator of reptiles and frogs at Queensland Museum.

The Cape Melville Shade Skink is also a lanky fellow, but unlike its gecko neighbor, it can be found hunting during the day, hopping across mossy boulders in search of insects. It has a golden hue and is isolated to the plateau rainforest.

It has been dubbed Saproscincus saltus. Saltus means leaping, according to the university's news release.

Motorcycle recovered in Calif 46 years after theft

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Authorities say a Nebraska man is getting his motorcycle back — 46 years after it was stolen from his backyard.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Monday the black and blue 1953 Triumph Tiger 100 was recovered last week at the Port of Los Angeles. It was on its way to Japan, with its value listed as $9,000. Probably at least that amount today...even for a 100 model Does anyone know for sure what it's worth today????

The bike was reported stolen in February 1967. It was worth $300 then and wasn't insured.

The California Highway Patrol will return the bike to its original owner, who is now in his 70s and still lives in Omaha, Neb. His name was not released.

A real honest person in Florida returns money.....

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. - A central Florida woman never thought she would see her hard-earned holiday cash again after losing it Wednesday night in a grocery store parking lot.

Jeanie Norman, who works limited hours due to her heath, recently pulled overnights at her job to earn more than $700 -- money she planned to spend on Christmas presents for her four kids.

Friday morning she got ready to head out for some black Friday shopping.

"I said, 'hand me my wallet' and I opened my wallet and the envelope was gone," she said. "I started crying."

After tearing apart the house and car, Norman retraced her steps to Sweetbay in Wesley Chapel where the family stopped Wednesday night for some last minute groceries for Thanksgiving.

Apparently it's a store with some trustworthy customers.

"He said 'you're not going to believe this,'" said Job Levesque, Assistant Store Manager about the anonymous customer who walked in with a handful of cash he found in the parking lot.

He estimates the customer walked in about 15 minutes after Norman left the store.

"It was nice to have some honest people shop here and thought they needed to turn in that money. It was a great experience and it was nice to see people still do great things," he said.

Norman said she cried even more when she found out someone turned in her money.

"I'm just so grateful. So happy it's not even funny," she said.

Grateful, happy, and judging by our informal poll, pretty lucky.

We wondered what others would do if they stumbled on $700 in a fairly bare parking lot.

"First thing I would do? I would immediately put it in my pocket. Then I would look around to see who is looking," said one man visiting from New York. "If nobody noticed then I'm leaving."

Other customers said they would go into the store to see if anyone reported lost money.

"I know I work hard for my money and I would hope that somebody would turn it in if I lost it," another customer told us.

Luckily, the right person found Norman's money, and saved her family's Christmas.

"It was a Christmas miracle, or a Thanksgiving miracle, or some kind of miracle," she said.

Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved.

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com//dpp/n...dropped-in-sweetbay-parking-lot#ixzz2mBjUE69e

Old time inventions......

Most are from the 30s & 40s during the war times.
I like the single wheel motorbike from 1931 & the water bike from 1938.
I'm only assuming that the last one might have something to do the Polio epidemic at that time.

http://www.viralnova.com/inventions/

University of Michigan student killed in car accident

Tire from Trailer smashed through windshield on highway US 23 accident Dec 27
ANN ARBOR TWP, Mich. -

A University of Michigan student, Wooram Choi, died after a tire from a snowmobile trailer crossed the median on U.S. 23 Thursday and smashed through his windshield.

Choi, 20, of Ann Arbor, was an undergrad in business administration at the university and was pronounced dead at the scene. According to Michigan State Police, Choi was driving southbound near Joy Road in Ann Arbor Township when the tire flew off the trailer being hauled by a northbound truck and hit his vehicle.

The driver of the truck is a 46-year old man from Ohio. It is unknown if charges will be filed as the accident remains under investigation.

Now for the brighter side of Holiday giving.......

Girl donates to Humane Society for birthday
Juliana wants to help homeless animals

Author: Michelle Oliver, Local 4 Video Journalist
Published On: Dec 27 2013 04:44:04 PM EST

DETROIT -

When it comes to birthdays, most kids want the newest toys or the latest electronics, but not little Juliana. She wants to give back and help the animals of the Michigan Humane Society, and it was all her idea.

"We were amazed, we were really amazed," said Juliana's mother Michele. "I mean because where does a seven year old come up with that idea."

With the help of her family and friends, Juliana collected $240 and several bags of cat and dog food along with other supplies and donated it to the Michigan Humane Society in Westland, Michigan.
Quick Clicks

"The fact that none of these animals have homes, that's the sole purpose for her doing this," said Michele.

Added Juliana: "It makes me feel good to see an empty cage because that means they have a good home."

For her donations she received a certificate, a tour, and of course plenty of time with the furry friends she helped.

"I am so proud of her," said Juliana's father Ken. "This is a big life moment for her."

Juliana does not even miss the toys, she just wanted to give the animals at the Michigan Humane Society a nice Christmas.

"She is so happy that she did it, in fact some people gave her gifts for her birthday and said specifically you spend this on yourself and she put it in to donate," said Michele.

The Humane Society helps thousands of animals every year and Juliana hopes her story inspires other children to make a difference. Next year she wants to collect money to donate to endangered animals.

Why we need 30 round magazine .......

30 round magazine bounce.gif

Click on the photo to see why...... maybe a 60 round mag would be nicer :)

49 of 50 States Have Snow as Drifts Pile Up
By Gil Aegerter

Folks along the East Coast complaining about more than a foot of new snow — piled on top of already large season totals — should know that winter isn’t picking only on them: 49 of the 50 states had some snow on the ground on Thursday.

Only Florida escaped a white mantle, according to a National Weather Service map of snow depth for the day.

Image: National Weather Service map of snow depth National Weather Service
National Weather Service map of snow depth across the U.S. on Thursday.

Of course, that might not totally console places like Pilot, Va., which got more than 27 inches in the latest storm, according to weather.com.

Even typically balmy places in the South weren’t immune: Some 3.5 inches fell in Corinth, Miss., as the storm that paralyzed parts of the region.

Many cities in the Midwest and Northeast have seen total snowfall exceed the average by several times.

By the beginning of this week, Chicago had received more than 60 inches for the season. And Detroit received 39.1 inches in January, the city’s snowiest month ever. The city now has more than 70 inches total. Its all-time snowiest season was 1880-1881, when 93.6 inches were recorded.

In the Northeast, towns and cities near some of the nation’s biggest metro areas were struggling with more than a foot of snow from the latest storm.

More than 12 inches had fallen at Baltimore-Washington International Airport, and in Newark, N.J., more than 14 inches had been reported by Thursday morning, bringing the city's season total to 53 inches.

New York City has passed 51 inches for the season — it typically gets 16.4, the weather service says. Below was the look in New York's Orange County, and at the Fanwood, N.J., train station (courtesy of NBC News' John Makely).

But none of these places, while undoubtedly snowy, can top Erie, Pa., which has received more than 108 inches this season.

To get an appreciation for how much snow has fallen this season across the U.S., take a look at the National Weather Service’s animation of its snow depth map.

Fire evicts whole town in Iowa

A chemical fire involving sulfuric acid forced the evacuation of an entire Iowa town Thursday, emergency management officials said.

The roughly 2,000 people in Northwood, near the Minnesota state line, were told to head to a community center about 6 miles south of town, according to an emergency message from the Worth County Emergency Management agency.

"A fire that is burning at a facility at the Northwood Municipal Airport contains sulfuric acid. This is a dangerous situation," the message warned. County officials told residents who didn't have transportation to gather at the courthouse for a ride.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...tion/-/1719418/24580176/-/laeiqi/-/index.html
No other info at this time

The inventor of the modern foundation garment that we women wear today was a German scientist and opera lover by the name of Otto Titsling![/B]
This is a true story...

— "Otto Titsling," lyrics by Bette Midler

COMMEMORATED IN popular song, trivia, and cautionary tale, the tortuous history of Otto Titzling (a.k.a. Titsling, Titslinger, Titzlinger) and the invention of the modern brassiere has a lesson to teach us all — though not necessarily the one you might expect.

As the story goes, Otto Titzling, a German immigrant living in New York City circa 1912, was employed at a factory making women's undergarments when he met an aspiring opera singer named Swanhilda Olafsen. Miss Olafsen, a buxom woman by all accounts, complained to Titzling that the standard corsets in use at the time were not only uncomfortable to wear but failed to provide adequate support where it counted most.

Titzling rose to the challenge. With the help of his trusty assistant, Hans Delving, he set about inventing a new kind of undergarment specifically engineered to meet the needs of the modern woman. The "chest halter" he designed proved to be a brilliant innovation and a commercial success, but our hero neglected to take out a patent, an oversight that would haunt him for the rest of his days.

Otto Titzling vs. Philippe de Brassiere

Enter the flamboyant, French-born fashion designer Philippe de Brassiere, who began ripping off Otto Titzling's designs and manufacturing competing products in the early 1930s. Titzling sued de Brassiere for patent infringement. In a court battle lasting four years, the two men fought to prove ownership of the concept, facing off in a climactic courtroom "fashion show" in which live models paraded before the judge wearing prototypes by each designer. In the end Titzling lost the case, not only in the court of law but in the court of public opinion, where de Brassiere, with his knack for self-promotion, managed to cement in the public's mind a lasting connection between the product and his own name.

In the words of songstress Bette Midler, "The result of this swindle is pointedly clear — do you buy a titsling or do you buy a brassiere?"

Titzling died penniless and unappreciated, we are told. But nothing could be further from the truth.

Best pizza is not in Italy but in Australia....
Has any of our OZ members ever eaten at this place that took first place?

Johnny Di Francesco
(CNN) -

Australian pizza is now officially the best in the world.

Well, sort of.

Judges at last weekend's Campionato Mondiale Della Pizza (Pizza World Championship) held in Parma, Italy, awarded the world's top margherita pizza title to Australian chef Johnny Di Francesco, owner of the 400 Gradi restaurant in Brunswick, a Melbourne suburb.

Di Francesco, 36, beat more than 600 competitors from 35 countries to take home the Specialita Traditionale Garantita pizza prize in the annual competition.

The win and subsequent publicity has made the small restaurant he owns in his hometown an overnight sensation.

"It's been an amazing reaction," Di Francesco tells CNN. "Honestly, I just went to Naples to do what I love. I didn't think it was going to make such a stir."

"A lot of people think it is easy to produce a margherita but it is one of the hardest (pizzas) to produce," Di Francesco told Australian website Good Food.

"With a lot of other pizzas it's easy to mask the flavor with toppings so you don't really get the flavor out of the dough. With a margherita there is no hiding anything that isn't right."

Competition rules are strict on what ingredients can top the dough on the margherita: only peeled tomatoes, certain types of mozzarella, garlic, olive oil, salt and fresh basil leaves are used.

Pizza the traditional way

Di Francesco, who says he's been making pizza since was 12 years old and studied pizza-making at the highly regarded Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana in Naples, Italy, calls himself a traditionalist when it comes to making pizza.

"It's an honor to be part of what (Verace Pizza Napoletana) does, striving to preserve a traditional way of making pizza the way they've done it in Naples for hundreds of years."

Although he's claimed the world title, Di Francesco has no plans to raise the A$20.50 ($19.30) price on the margherita pizza made daily at 400 Gradi.

"No, not at all," he says with a laugh.

Italian chefs weren't entirely shut out of the winner's circle at the competition.

As reported by Good Food, Italian chef Julius Scialpi took home the "classic pizza" prize for a pizza made with mozzarella, eggplant, nostrana, breadcrumbs and anchovies with burrata.

400 Gradi, 99 Lygon St., Brunswick East, Victoria, Australia
; +61 (0)3 9380 2320; daily, midday-11 p.m.

Back