The X4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I was actually thinking I could even throw the 787 back in there and sell the other ski running lol! but maybe I should just hang on to that?!

Theoretically you could but it just wouldn't be worth it. First off you'd have to glass the front mount in the correct location. Then you'd have to get a pump that would work with the lower power of the 787. A lot of work for making an inferior ski.
I personally love the 98 GSXL. It has sentimental value to me. But if it came down to a GSXL or a 951 X4.. guess what's going to win. lol

If I were you I'd sell everything to afford a Magnum D pump. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can absolutely get 180 reliable horsepower out of a 951 if it's tuned properly. Obviously we're not talking stock pipe and carbs here. That matched up to a high vein mag D and a swirl impeller would be freakishly quick off the line.

are there any classes of racing that I could still put the boat in if I do this? I might still want to race sometime..

You'd have to follow the rules. Here's the original thread about spec open runabout. http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=387322

Essentially you couldn't run an aftermarket pipe. But you could run a 97.5 pipe and that sucker does make power!

Honestly I haven't followed the progress of this class in a few because of a new business so I don't even know if it's still a thing. I hope it is!! Ask around. Scotty would know for sure!

Perfect donor boat. And you have all 787 stuff left to liquidate. Correct Matt, 787 runs about 18 degree final timing, vs 951 at 15 degree range. $300 MSD Enhancer turns the 951 into race boat status ( pump gas), with knowledge of dip switch settings. (:

Perfect donor boat. And you have all 787 stuff left to liquidate. Correct Matt, 787 runs about 18 degree final timing, vs 951 at 15 degree range. $300 MSD Enhancer turns the 951 into race boat status ( pump gas), with knowledge of dip switch settings. (:

What is up with the dip switches, and is it absolutely necessary to change out the pump, or could that be done at a later time? Just for the sake of time and cash...

Good call! ^^^ only one X4 funner to ride than x4951 financially- seat time- durabilty,,,,,and thats a 787 X4 carbon hull.( Matt B!) Whole strategy is just shuffling parts. Key to project success and motivation is just "split the damn hull in half" offers huge improvement in personal motivation and working enviroment.

Never got an answer on the pump swap, is it absolutely necessary or is is something I could do in stages like get it running first then swap it out later?

Yeah you "could" keep the stock pump but you'll be missing out on A LOT of performance. The more power you have the more important that pump will become.

Personally, a mag D is essential in an X4 with a tuned 951.

Never got an answer on the pump swap, is it absolutely necessary or is is something I could do in stages like get it running first then swap it out later?
It's like putting a 600 hp motor into a car with a transmission that was only designed to utilize 200 hp. You're not taking advantage of being able to turn the bigger pump.

Oh sure, I understand and planned on doing it, I just was wondering if I could temporarily get by with the stocker..

Oh sure, I understand and planned on doing it, I just was wondering if I could temporarily get by with the stocker..
I'm actually working on a product that will make x4 951 conversions a straight bolt in process. And are you asking about using a stock 155mm pump or a stock 140mm pump? If your asking about the 155mm yes you can. Just elongate the bottom holes on the pump to fit the x4 stud pattern.

I'm actually working on a product that will make x4 951 conversions a straight bolt in process. And are you asking about using a stock 155mm pump or a stock 140mm pump? If your asking about the 155mm yes you can. Just elongate the bottom holes on the pump to fit the x4 stud pattern.

I'd be interested in the conversion product. Gotta make sure the 951 engine I have is good first though. How far off are you from making it a reality?

I'd be interested in the conversion product. Gotta make sure the 951 engine I have is good first though. How far off are you from making it a reality?
I'm working with a machine shop right now on the pump adapter and crossbar mounts. Once the prototypes are done I get them off to the patent lawyers and then on to mass production. It probably won't be till winter or early next year.

Depends on a few factors. If you're going to be building a "stock" 951 X4 then yes, you could. If you're planning on bringing that power north of 150 then it's going to be tough for you to tune it properly as cavitation and under propping will be your nemesis.

I'm working with a machine shop right now on the pump adapter and crossbar mounts. Once the prototypes are done I get them off to the patent lawyers and then on to mass production. It probably won't be till winter or early next year.

Wow, I can't imagine selling enough to recoup the cost of the patent process if you're using an attorney. I'm sure you have experience doing this and know much more than me though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back