The X4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Doc has overcome this but I have an issue with 951 swaps leaning to the right. Many times they will to the right while just floating there but you can feel it when riding also.

I have so many Neptune pipes there is no "market" left haha. They are fantastic but they are heavy and the engine has to be pulled to swap them. If somebody wants one I'll help them but it's not a cheap pipe and they would need carbs, a taller impeller, and a rev limiter at least.

It's great to hear someone else remember Bo's incredible X4 tuning! He was the first to win for Seadoo in 94 before he started tuning for others full time. He can still be found under the tent at the races just like always. I'm looking forward to saying hello in just a couple weeks.

I'm glad to hear Bo is still in the industry. That dude had some seriously fast X4s back in the day. About 69mph and brutal acceleration.

As for the 951 swap, one of the coolest things about doing one is the new spec class you can race them in. Essentially the class runs both 787 mod and 951 motored X4s. Super cool racing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps Doc has overcome this but I have an issue with 951 swaps leaning to the right. Many times they will to the right while just floating there but you can feel it when riding also.

I have so many Neptune pipes there is no "market" left haha. They are fantastic but they are heavy and the engine has to be pulled to swap them. If somebody wants one I'll help them but it's not a cheap pipe and they would need carbs, a taller impeller, and a rev limiter at least.

It's great to hear someone else remember Bo's incredible X4 tuning! He was the first to win for Seadoo in 94 before he started tuning for others full time. He can still be found under the tent at the races just like always. I'm looking forward to saying hello in just a couple weeks.

Are you going to give racing another go around?

I have to say, I'm pretty excited about the swap, what year is the best for the 951?

Good question but without a doubt the most important factor is having a FRESH 951. Top to bottom rebuild. The year doesn't really matter as long as it's semi decent to begin with.

Thats interesting news on spec class racing. I guess we shall local races then. Thought IJSBA would dump these in GP class. Matt B I have not seen ours lean, I will check again. It does roll to one side above 68mph. The stock 951 pipe weighs a massive 20lbs, potentially leaning boat. Betting Coffman or Rossier weights are less than 10 lbs. This might help side biasis. Not having the 11lb battery in right rear corner helps. Mine weighs 1 lb in center. The brute force torque of 951 makes it so fun to ride vs 787. Spinning 6900 rpm at 68mph all day on cheap pump gas makes my wallet happy.

No I'm not gonna race myself. I'm just gonna go spectate, maybe be a holder for a racer or two. As far as the rules go these days I don't think anyone is watching or cares. At WF they might actually care if it's ported or not or whatever but the rest just seem to check the safety side of it and are darn glad you showed up to pay the entry fee to keep the sport going.

I set my skis to run on 93 pump gas. It's tough when using the aggressive pipes and other racing parts. I have a couple engines that I will have to buy race fuel to run but at $11 per gallon I keep kicking that can down the road.

SUCH a different sport today. I'm so glad I lived through the PWC renaissance age. It really was special looking back. Hopefully with the advent of the Spark the pendulum will start to swing back the other way. IDK though, as much as I'd like to see manufacturers building water MX bikes again, I just don't see it happening. It was a perfect storm from 1992-2002 for PWC racing with the true hay days right in the middle.

I hear you guys. I remember burning race gas at 4 bucks a gallon all day at the lake and thinking that cost was cheapest item! Looks like a big resurgence of two strokes now that racers can get to course for a couple grand and have fun. Grass roots racing is the future of PWC . Lets just have fun and stop worrying about a guy running a cheater light flywheel. Win by riding and having fun. I agree Stun... the Spark is fantastic marketing ploy to "Spark" this racing enthusiast back to racing. I miss my first local race lining up with 17 other X4's!

Good question but without a doubt the most important factor is having a FRESH 951. Top to bottom rebuild. The year doesn't really matter as long as it's semi decent to begin with.

What skis did the 951 carbureted come in? I'm hoping to find a cheap boat to buy and rip it apart!

It usually says on the ski if it's di or rfi. So if it doesn't and the price is right, Google to be sure then pull trigger. 99- 2000 and after they put out multiple versions like example a carbed and di millennium edition gtx... just had color difference

Ooh boy.

I used to be able to answer this easily. I've forgotten a lot. Haha!

1998-2002 XPL
1998-2002 GTX(L)
GSXL all years
LRV (I think) all years
RX all years
RXX all years

I have a feeling this is close but not spot on. But whatever you do, don't cut up an RXX. Part of my soul will die a little.

Stay away from the 97.5 GSX white mtr. Nightmare. I think the 98 is the best choice since its same style ignition as 96 xp x4. You can use the whole 96 787 ignition on a 98 951, even the stator. Buy a donor $500 broken XPL or Gsx , then spend $1k on freshening up mtr. Imhop

Hear that Stunner. Anxious to try one. Wish I could get my hands on a Rossier. Matt Braley you hoarding all of them? (;

Nothing like the sound of my twin pipes coming down the lake. Last summer I had a bass fisherman follow be back to the ramp cause he wanted to look under the seat said he never heard a seadoo or any other ski that sounds like that.

Hear that Stunner. Anxious to try one. Wish I could get my hands on a Rossier. Matt Braley you hoarding all of them? (;

I only have one Rossier pipe setup for the 951. It's probably the one I'll use on my XPL.

If someone wants to run 787 electrics on a single coil 951 they must change the timing curve to match the 951. This takes the MSD Enhanser or an Advent ignition. Then they're rave valves will not function because there is nothing to operate the rave solenoid. The rave housings can be drilled to compensate for this.

Hey I found a 98 GSX limited, with a burnt piston supposedly. Asking 1000 but I am sure I could get it lower. What all could I use from that boat just the engine/exhaust? Is there any other useful stuff? I also found a guy selling complete engines and stuff that has 951's but I'm wondering if a whole ski would be better??

Whole ski is ideal as you can get all of the electronics too. Anything left over you can part out. If the hull is clean and titled you could potentially get a bit of cash for that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back