The X4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 97 SPX. The handlebars hit my knees when I am turning unless I put my feet way up front on the incline (bad for back) or if I tuck my feet back a long way. I am only 6' tall. Anyone else have this issue? Would UMI steering help?
You don't have to go full umi. Any aftermarket bars will correct it. I'm 6'2".

You need to take the pad off and loosen the 4 bolts that hold the bars in position and rotate them upwards to give your knees some more clearance. Those things must be pretty far down if they're hitting your knees...

Sent from Cody's iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I'm 6'2" and I ride with my legs back and my feet are only on from my toes to the ball of my foot. How can you ride with your legs forward, that just feels awkward to me. I will do it while in a no wake zone for a short bit but usually get hip cramps so back the legs go.

Just bought a 97 SPX. The handlebars hit my knees when I am turning unless I put my feet way up front on the incline (bad for back) or if I tuck my feet back a long way. I am only 6' tall. Anyone else have this issue? Would UMI steering help?

I normally just stand up haha. UMIs will put the bars further up though

Here is what I put together just before the Sortie. I had slowly saved NOS parts off ebay and stuff the last few years and decided to have my engine guy put together a almost new OEM 787 motor. I started with a set of mint used 787 RFI cases due to the case cooler on the bottom and the intake tract is a bit smoother. New OEM crank, New OEM pistons, oem CB shaft bearings, RV bearings, Rotary valve, RAVE valves and bases, Starter...as good as it gets.

Bolt on parts; ADA head running 180psi for now, Novi intake and 44mm D carbs, Tau-ceti flame arrestors, 5/16" fuel system out of a SPX, Spec 1 pipe with race chamber, shaved OEM Ex mani, GP 760 waterbox, Rhaas motor mounts, OSD bearing carrier.

Trick parts: Westside Powersports Silicone exhaust kit, Westside Powersports power, ground, and starter wires, Westside Powersports flame arrestor splash guard, Silicone cooling hose throughout, sleeved the fuel lines, plug wires, and wire harnesses.

The hull is my old beater, it had to be reinforced where it had cracked in a couple of spots internally. New tank, extra reinforced UMI, Rox 2.5" risers, Renthal Fishetti bend bars, Jet-trim 2" rise seat, Hydro-Turf, single gauge hood, Beach house sponsons, 2 one way valves and a bilge pump. Out back its got a 6 vein Skat Mag pump and 16/24.5 prop, Jet dynamics intake grate and a ultra rare set of JD nozzles with interchangeable rings.

I plan to get another hull fixed up next year and move everything over I just didnt have the time this year. Hoping for a 98 SPX hull, but I have a 97 thats in great shape.

Gotta halfie right?? :coolgleam:

Heres a couple pictures...

And heres my brother at the sortie breaking it in...lol well it was on its 2nd tank in this pic...

Full on X-4 mega boner!!! LOL

Looks killer nick! Where did you say you snagged that wire mesh covering from again? I love the way that looks

Oh and speaking of a 98spx....I just picked one up yesterday morning in Des Moines for $400, needs motor tho and some TLC. I'm also gonna send the MPEM off to you within the next couple weeks to have you get some info off it for me..
119.jpg

Sent from Cody's iPhone

I called him he was saying he was going to keep it. hook a brotha up!! Its my unicorn ski...every time I think Im getting one it gets sold before I can get it!!!

I've been on the hunt for a 98' spx for a winter project all summer long LOL! But if I get busy with the rest of my fleet I'll get ahold of you and give u first dibs.
If not though that just means I'll be pestering you for parts all winter long lol

Sent from Cody's iPhone

Nick I gotta say that ski looks SWEET!!!!!!!!! I like a nice sanitary build and you got it right. Even the spaghetti of cooling lines are extremely tidy. Great job. I think your bro probably got an enema on that landing. You got any video of that hang time?

Yep, I'm 6'2" and I ride with my legs back and my feet are only on from my toes to the ball of my foot. How can you ride with your legs forward, that just feels awkward to me. I will do it while in a no wake zone for a short bit but usually get hip cramps so back the legs go.

6'4" here and do the same thing. Anything else feels weird.

Very nice Nick! I'll send you up a nylon nut for that pto cover, lol. The plug leads are terribly sexy. They look like my old Specrta-Flex guitar cables.

Are you happy with the setup? Does it kick the but of your previous ski?

I've been on the hunt for a 98' spx for a winter project all summer long LOL! But if I get busy with the rest of my fleet I'll get ahold of you and give u first dibs.
If not though that just means I'll be pestering you for parts all winter long lol

Sounds good I'd really like it. I can def make it worth your while.

Nick I gotta say that ski looks SWEET!!!!!!!!! I like a nice sanitary build and you got it right. Even the spaghetti of cooling lines are extremely tidy. Great job. I think your bro probably got an enema on that landing. You got any video of that hang time?

Holy crap coming from you thats an honor!! Yeah I went nuts on the cooling setup. Biggest problem is I had to make a special mount for the Factory pipe strainer since the hoses were too floppy to support it like the oem stuff. I also drilled and tapped a couple more connectors into it to feed all the different cooling spots.

I went and chopped out a min or so of the video off my brother's go pro for ya...

[video=youtube;4sWmEpdnn7s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sWmEpdnn7s&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Very nice Nick! I'll send you up a nylon nut for that pto cover, lol. The plug leads are terribly sexy. They look like my old Specrta-Flex guitar cables.

Are you happy with the setup? Does it kick the but of your previous ski?

Its still got a little tuning to do and you were right about the ADA head it has terrible cooling. I have a novi head but its not in all that of shape and dont have any good domes for it. It feels good but the jury is still out.

Holy crap coming from you thats an honor!! Yeah I went nuts on the cooling setup. Biggest problem is I had to make a special mount for the Factory pipe strainer since the hoses were too floppy to support it like the oem stuff. I also drilled and tapped a couple more connectors into it to feed all the different cooling spots.

I went and chopped out a min or so of the video off my brother's go pro for ya...

Credit given where credit is due! I like nothing more than a clean and tidy build. If you already have the hull empty(engine out) it doesn't take much more to detail/wipe down the wiring harnesses detail the inside up and upon reassembly cable tie up every last tube and wire neatly. Especially on a build like yours with all the plumbing, it's gotta be easier to follow a tube when they're run neatly vs. digging through a bilge of spaghetti. It's so much more enjoyable to work on something clean I think.

Thanks for the vid! Was someone launching a GTi?

This is great! Nick I remember your bro riding by and yelling turn your bilge pump on at me but the bilge was dry I just sat back on the ski and pulled back way to hard resulting in this lolol
132.jpg

I did get some good ones in tho
133.jpg

Nick and the crew popped my double up cherry at the TCJP 2014 sortie at lake Pepin a few weeks back, what a great group of guys I'll tell ya! I had one hell of a time and will be returning next year no questions asked (hopefully with a better than new healed up ankle) LOL

Sent from da iPhone

Watch his vids. These guys use a 2 buddies boats cruising at same speed and they ride right through the middle launching off the two boats mixed wakes. Creates a huge depression/ramp in water and the results are brapappapaaaaaappppp!

How big are the wakes/waves that let you guys launch that high?

Yeah this isnt a prime example, but the guys on the bigger boat were taking video (we didnt even know them...this was all random) But if you watch the V-wake changes constantly. Couple nice Spark jumps in there too!! I was out with my daughter on pinkie when it came about...we hit it at 1:34. We then got flagged down by the red X-2 and had to pull him all the way back. I hopped on my machine and raced out there but they shut down right when I got there. DOH!

[video=youtube;uBGGw4LadQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBGGw4LadQw[/video]

This is great! Nick I remember your bro riding by and yelling turn your bilge pump on at me but the bilge was dry I just sat back on the ski and pulled back way to hard resulting in this lolol
132.jpg

I did get some good ones in tho
133.jpg

Nick and the crew popped my double up cherry at the TCJP 2014 sortie at lake Pepin a few weeks back, what a great group of guys I'll tell ya! I had one hell of a time and will be returning next year no questions asked (hopefully with a better than new healed up ankle) LOL

Sent from da iPhone

I see you have a billet gas cap (hot products?) Is there an o-ring or gasket on it like the plastic OEM cap? I recently pulled a hot prducts one off an HX and put it on my spx. It seems to seal tightly, however, i think it might leak slightly since there's no o-ring or gasket on it. My question is, does your tank still build pressure and when you pull the cap off do you hear the air release?

It's a billet triton cap, and ya it has a big oring on the underside to seal it up. I actually have 2 of those triton caps and one of my skis will hiss when the cap is removed and the other one doesn't, I need to look into that...

Sent from da iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back