The X4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
floating all around the state. headed to mountains tomorrow till next Wednesday

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

New 96 XP owner here. Been reading a lot about what to do/look for and how to do stuff ie fuel line replacements etc..

Anyways- picked it up dirt cheap without doing compression test. Trusted the seller and found it had 160lbs each cylinder so score! Replaced the fuel lines and just wanted to give a quick tip to those doing it themselves:

After replacing the fuel lines, cleaning the fuel cutoff etc etc..... MAKE SURE THE FUEL CUTOFF IS TURNED ON!! Been chasing my tail for 2 hours trying to figure out why I wasn't getting fuel to the carbs. :)

Really enjoy working on it (for the most part) and it's been a fun project so far but I just found it funny today that I forgot to turn the fuel back on. Glad to be on the forums and it's been a world of information reading up on the XP.

Jeepfreak I am relatively new to the pwc/seadoo world and am in love with the x4 hull. Have had my 96 XP for a month and am head over heels about it. So in love in fact that I just bought a 95 XP with a double trailer just so my fiancee (who loved my 96) could have fun with me. Given the 95 doesn't have the 787 with RAVE, it's still a fun hull that can't be beat for the price. Welcome to the fandom, hope to see your resto posts in the future

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen them in several locations. But legal? I've also seen a few race skis wearing 2 different registrations from 2 different states.

Personally, I don't see the difference on a ski, as long as you can see it. I mean, you taking less than 4'

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

New 96 XP owner here. Been reading a lot about what to do/look for and how to do stuff ie fuel line replacements etc..
Anyways- picked it up dirt cheap without doing compression test. Trusted the seller and found it had 160lbs each cylinder so score! Replaced the fuel lines and just wanted to give a quick tip to those doing it themselves:
After replacing the fuel lines, cleaning the fuel cutoff etc etc..... MAKE SURE THE FUEL CUTOFF IS TURNED ON!! Been chasing my tail for 2 hours trying to figure out why I wasn't getting fuel to the carbs. :)

Really enjoy working on it (for the most part) and it's been a fun project so far but I just found it funny today that I forgot to turn the fuel back on. Glad to be on the forums and it's been a world of information reading up on the XP.

Jeepfreek, what part of Michigan are you in?...... see below for michigan thread

I'm in the Upper Peninsula on the eastern end. I've had it on the Brimley Bay a few times and I think I'm going to be selling it because the family is unable to use it how I would like to. Looks like I'm going to be needing a 3 seater to tow a tube and take the kids for a ride. Too bad really because it's a blast to ride single but I can't be having all the fun.... Or could I.... :)

anyone know what the part number is for a new oem starter? is 278001301 what im looking for and will it include the bendix

anyone know what the part number is for a new oem starter? is 278001301 what im looking for and will it include the bendix

Just looked at the fiche, that is the correct part#, it will be a complete starter. Fiche says it includes part# 1 thru #17

convert

Went to go out riding today got to the dock put the key on got 2 beeps then right after got 8 more beeps and the temp light flashed 4 times. Anyone knows that this means?

Eddie I know that this is the X4 thread and your question is concerning an X4, but if you start a new thread it will probably receive a faster response and been seen by more members.

Just had a wonderful weekend on the 96XP. Spent several hours yesterday touring around the lake and made a makeshift buoy course to race around.

I met a buddy with a 2008 Honda Aquatrax F-12x (Turbo) and we did some informal racing. I have finally figured out how to launch the XP.

The best method I have found for launching is:

1. Put the trim in the "middle" position
2. Place left thumb on VTS "up" switch.
3. Launch with weight over the bars
4. Once the boat is out of the water and the nose is coming down, trim to full up.

Using this method I would pull 2-3 boat lengths racing from a dead stop every time, he would end up catching up to me on top end (temporarily) until his Honda reduced RPM and boost due to heat buildup. At top speed we were neck and neck (when it was hot).

My best GPS speed of the day:

690.jpg

Pics of the XP

691.jpg

692.jpg

Pic of the Aquatrax

693.jpg

Awesome day! Thanks to everyone here for helping me get this thing restored and running in top shape!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! Mine won't go past 52 :/ I have a Nujet prop and it spins about 6900rpm WOT. Does that last 100rpm really make that big a difference?

Also, if I have mine trimmed up, it starts to porpose like crazy. Can't keep the nose down in anything but perfect glass conditions, and even then sometimes it'll do it just naturally. I notice top speeds when my trim is down.

Damn! Mine won't go past 52 :/ I have a Nujet prop and it spins about 6900rpm WOT. Does that last 100rpm really make that big a difference?

Also, if I have mine trimmed up, it starts to porpose like crazy. Can't keep the nose down in anything but perfect glass conditions, and even then sometimes it'll do it just naturally. I notice top speeds when my trim is down.

I am turning 6850-6900 RPM with a Solas X0 prop and R&D 85/87 nozzle setup.

I found the nozzle being longer gives the trim a little bit more "authority" in the bow position. I also use R&D trim tabs to help stop the proposing. Engine is all stock, stock flame arrestor, jetting choke plates etc. Still on the original pistons and bores with ~230 hours on the engine. Compression even at about 148 on my actron compression tester.

Original Pistons! That's impressive!! I might still be on original pistons had my needle bearings not let go and kill my original engine :( Since then, I've just had a slew of bad luck. How are your rave housings, have you replaced them yet? Once you replace them, how long do they last? They say the jugs wear out and allow excessive exhaust gas to go up and melt the rave pistons... Been having problems with that a lot too...

Original Pistons! That's impressive!! I might still be on original pistons had my needle bearings not let go and kill my original engine :( Since then, I've just had a slew of bad luck. How are your rave housings, have you replaced them yet? Once you replace them, how long do they last? They say the jugs wear out and allow excessive exhaust gas to go up and melt the rave pistons... Been having problems with that a lot too...
I am not responsible for the original hours on the engine. I purchased it in the beginning of '13 and it had ~212 hours on it at that time via a MPEM check when programming a key.

As for the RAVE's I have not had any problems with that, I clean my raves pretty regularly though, perhaps twice a season. I got a late start to the water this year and have only put about 8 engine hours on so far, and only 10 hours last year. I am finally starting to trust that I have the kinks worked out and feeling comfortable to run tankfuls of fuel in a day.

Raves are a sore subject for me :( Every time I order a new kit ($200) one of them goes bad that same season and starts melting stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back