The X4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your kid is going to love you!! LOL Its a great ski and you stole it! That thing is in very nice shape. It is a X-4 hull, and the 720 is plenty of motor for a kid!

If you find you need anything for it let me know. I keep all the typical Resto parts in stock; carb kits, needle and seats, orings, VTS parts, etc.

Thanks! I've already ordered fuel line, oil line, carb kits, flush kit. Would you recommend other things I should have on hand for a things that would be replaced under normal Preventative Maintenance? The engine is a complete unknown, with good compression. Filters, gaskets, etc? I'm all ears.

Replace the pump oil and add an in-line fuel filter, a Fram G2 works pretty well in there. Replace the OEM oil filter with an OEM one.

yup what he said. Also make sure you dont have a broken motor mount, check to make sure the motor isnt loose on the bedplate.

Make sure the pipe is tight to the manifold and keep an eye on it.

OOOOOH....the VTS boot. They need replacing every 3 years. Also open the vts cover and make sure there isnt water in there.

I carry the boot kits in stock, along with the pipe mounting bushings which wear out and then the pipe wiggles loose.

I know this isn't the "ideal" place for a thread like this... but I am in the market for some aftermarket trim tabs for my x4.

I figured I would hit more x4 owners this way.

feel free to send me a PM or post in my wanted thread here

Thanks,

Chris

Hello everyone. I have a 1998 Seadoo SPX that is hard to start once warmed up. It is a little temperamental on start up if it has been a while since it has ran like any 2-Stroke. Once started for the day it will kick right off for short test however once it has warmed up it will often just crank away until the motor is cooled. Any ideas on where to start?

Sounds like leaky needles and seats in the carbs. Mine did the same thing after I rebuilt my carbs with aftermarket kits. I put mikuni diaphragms in and the issue went away.

So you think the carbs need to be rebuilt. I was leaning that way my self as I could not think of anything else that could be responsible. I have gotten as far as cleaning the tiny fuel filter on the front of the carb once a year but have not gone further that that so the internals are at least 5 years old. I haven't rebuilt a carb in over a decade. How hard are these? How expensive to have it done?

You will spend about $100 on a kit for both carbs. There are a few people here on the forums that will rebuild them. If you want to know for sure ride the ski and warm it up good. Basically put in the same situation it is hard starting. Before you turn the ski off turn your fuel selector off and wait till you start hearing the idle rpm go up wait a second or two and then kill the ski. Let it sit 5 mins turn the fuel selector on and see if it starts easier. That's how I figured out my ski was flooding because of leaky needles and seats.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I just herd of the Sea doo Spark. Could this be the first thing to out jump the 4x hull??? Tempting price.

The potential is there, but with a top speed of 50 mph it doesn't really excite me personally. They say they pull as hard or harder than a x4 in the mid range. If they get one to run the same top speed as a x4 without having to dump $3k in mods and voiding the warranty then I might be tempted to get one. Until then i'm happy with my RXT and X4. That is just my opinion based on my riding style. I ride smooth lakes 9 out of 10 with supercharged 4 strokes so at 50 mph I wouldn't be able to keep up. Been there done that already on a 50 mph 96 SPX. They do have a good price point and fuel economy is awesome! With that said my RXT fuel economy is awesome also with tons of mid range and a good 14 mph to 15 mph over the spark and I gave the same money for it as a base Spark. I can cruise in the low 50's and it sips fuel compared to a 787. Yes it is a tank and not as playful, but it is a awesome machine! Of course that is not really comparing apples to apples. Just a broad scope. :thumbsup:

18 year old oil lines, grey tempo crap lines and no air box! Ha yea let me drop 4K on that one...fail

Long live the 2 stroke Seadoo!

Well as sad as it makes me I cannot go on further with my XP :(. After a long winter to think it over I decided its not worth sinking another $800 into a motor not even knowing if that will fix the phantom vibration. 2 years of ownership and no seat time is rough. I will be parting out my ski on the very cheap side to move it out quickly. I have a lot of aftermarket and new parts that haven't even been used. I wanted you guys to get the first crack at all of it before I posted a legit ads. Ill take reasonable offers until I form my list and post. (248) 240-6247 :facepalm:

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...rformance-and-new-parts!)&p=391382#post391382

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as sad as it makes me I cannot go on further with my XP :(. After a long winter to think it over I decided its not worth sinking another $800 into a motor not even knowing if that will fix the phantom vibration. 2 years of ownership and no seat time is rough. I will be parting out my ski on the very cheap side to move it out quickly. I have a lot of aftermarket and new parts that haven't even been used. I wanted you guys to get the first crack at all of it before I posted a legit ads. Ill take reasonable offers until I form my list and post. (248) 240-6247 :facepalm:
-Single Gauge hood painted black
-Renthal Bars with UMI switches (new grips)
-Yellow/Black/Silver Black tip covered seat (New)
-R&D Plenum/flame Arrestor
-Complete working VTS with new motor and boots
-SBT starter (new)
-Worx Sponsons
-R&D trim Tabs
-R&D 85/88 nozzle
-R&D Intake Grate
-Solas X/0 Prop
-Mpem with 2 keys (1 new)
-complete jet pump
-new all weather cover
-New uninstalled primer kit
-Rebuilt carbs
-Anything off the motor or sell as a core.
-Shell newly buffed with new blacktip mats
-Multigauge
-exhaust set up
-Shorelander single place trailer. needs 1 bunk replaced. tires are decent

Hate to see ya go but PM sent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Minnetonka4me has the Blue silicon Exhaust Outlet Pipe... Has anyone ever tried a Aluminum one? Would it change the sound of the Exhaust or No gain anywhere just for looks? Or bad Idea?

Also the water Box on a 1998 Challenger 800.. Is it smaller then the water box on a x4 800 ?

Just making forum talk...

-Single Gauge hood painted black
-Renthal Bars with UMI switches (new grips)
-Yellow/Black/Silver Black tip covered seat (New)
-R&D Plenum/flame Arrestor
-Complete working VTS with new motor and boots
-SBT starter (new)
-Worx Sponsons
-R&D trim Tabs
-R&D 85/88 nozzle
-R&D Intake Grate
-Solas X/0 Prop
-Mpem with 2 keys (1 new)
-complete jet pump
-new all weather cover
-New uninstalled primer kit
-Rebuilt carbs
-Anything off the motor or sell as a core.
-Shell newly buffed with new blacktip mats
-Multigauge
-exhaust set up
-Shorelander single place trailer. needs 1 bunk replaced. tires are decent

Trim tabs are mine! Thanks a bunch man! Payment sent

first ski was my dream ski, 97 xp 787, didnt know crap about jetskis then, found out i didnt have the 951 being the fastest top end engine i ended up being some what upset but still super excited, i was 20 years old, at the end of that summer i sold it, fell in love with my buddys kawasaki stand up, so i bought a super jet, had 2 different superjets, almost broke my leg on one, my head on the other, decided it wasnt for me, sold them for a nice wave jumping ski, couldnt afford a wave blaster, and boy am i glad now i decided to buy my first x4 96 xp, now my favorite skis, wouldnt own anything else but a wave blaster, things are pretty bad ass, but only at the same time.. currently have my 95 xp800 and my little brothers 98 spx, wish they were better on fuel, my xp seems to be noticeably worse then the spxs fuel consumption, but f it, keep putting fuel and having a blast

She needs a little resto, that will have to Waite till winter though

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    869.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back