The X4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a '96 XP with the X4 hull, and the ski runs great, but it bounces. The water here is dead flat. But it jumps in rhythm, causing short fast moments of cavitation when bouncing. Literally out of the water, so it hops along as it goes.its starts around 1/2 throttle and gets worse with speed. The ski itself is quite fast, until fast enough where the bouncing makes you loose control kind of, and in turn speed as well. VTS WORKS and I have tried all the positions up and down to see if it would smooth out. Nope, still bounces on flat water causing cavitation

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a '96 XP with the X4 hull, and the ski runs great, but it bounces. The water here is dead flat. But it jumps in rhythm, causing short fast moments of cavitation when bouncing. Literally out of the water, so it hops along as it goes.its starts around 1/2 throttle and gets worse with speed. The ski itself is quite fast, until fast enough where the bouncing makes you loose control kind of, and in turn speed as well. VTS WORKS and I have tried all the positions up and down to see if it would smooth out. Nope, still bounces on flat water causing cavitation

I know there's a company (R&D) I think that made a small attachment you could bolt onto the pump that extends the ride plate. My buddy has one and claims that it helps with the bounce. I experience the same thing. I use turns and acceleration to mask it. Sometimes, you can catch it out of bounce in mid-throttle, but the bounce will eventually find you ;) Stock, the X4 is an aerobics gym.

I wonder if fixing the bounce would deteriorate the wave jumping capabilities of the craft...

Tried to upload a couple more but i guess i hit my limit on this site or something.

you can link more but you can only upload 4 or 5 on a page.

if you get a photobucket account (or similar) you can upload as many as you want there and just link them here with the image button and they will show up bigger and you can post more.

I know there's a company (R&D) I think that made a small attachment you could bolt onto the pump that extends the ride plate. My buddy has one and claims that it helps with the bounce. I experience the same thing. I use turns and acceleration to mask it. Sometimes, you can catch it out of bounce in mid-throttle, but the bounce will eventually find you ;) Stock, the X4 is an aerobics gym.

I wonder if fixing the bounce would deteriorate the wave jumping capabilities of the craft...

Yup! IMO
Extended tabs help handling, hurt jumping.

I have a r&d center plate extension... If anyone is interested pm with offer...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

So a guy from Montgomery started calling me a while back asking about aftermarket X4 parts. He would call a couple times a week "tire kickin" until he showed up one day and bought a bunch of AM parts. Then he came back a couple days later and I helped him bolt them all on. I tuned it up on the safe side and his 16 year old son will be happy.

Why am I telling you this?

Cause he now went and bought that XP800(X model) we have all been looking at (relisted on Ebay) and now he wants to bring it to me for fixing. I can't stop saving Seadoo's.

I just got home from taking it too him 10 hrs later due to a broke down truck , and I think I let him have the wrong pump I fell over one in the yard where the ski was parked and I dont rember what it was for , I was running late my son helped me hook up and I left in a hurry .i Think that ski is jinxed I spent well over what it sold for just to get my dually back home now I gota get it fixed oh well. Oh and something on it or the stand broke me out all over so I get to go to the doctor tomorrow , WHAT A DAY!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So a guy from Montgomery started calling me a while back asking about aftermarket X4 parts. He would call a couple times a week "tire kickin" until he showed up one day and bought a bunch of AM parts. Then he came back a couple days later and I helped him bolt them all on. I tuned it up on the safe side and his 16 year old son will be happy.

Why am I telling you this?

Cause he now went and bought that XP800(X model) we have all been looking at (relisted on Ebay) and now he wants to bring it to me for fixing. I can't stop saving Seadoo's.

matt if you fix it and it is the wrong pump let me know

Here you guys go.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/seadoo-xp-h..._Watercraft_Parts&hash=item2581e0508e&vxp=mtr

A yellow single gauge hood with a multi gauge with the boot for $50 shipped.

I have 2 right now and I was going to buy this but have at it. Only 12 hours left

The gauge colors are vivid.

421.jpg

422.jpg

Looks like it sold for $75 shipped which is a really good deal. The gauge alone is worth that. Shipping on that will be about $40. As for the sponson he has those for sale in another auction.

So 3 years, 1 hour seat time. endless frustration and money into this thing and still cant figure out the issue. So I decided to tear down the supposedly rebuilt motor today and this is what I found.

I didnt even bother to remove the other jug. I was disappointed enough with these findings. I'm going to finish the tear down next week. ill share the rest of my findings as I go.

I saw that on cl for many months. The hull looks nice and clean. Someone at some point had it apart the gasket is a dead give away for that. Hopefully the jugs are borable.

yea, it's pretty beat up, but so what? Long as you have good compression, what should a few pits in the head do to kill performance? I bet the motor wasn't pressure tested upon rebuild and has a little case leak. That'll kill performance. I consider a pressure test a MANDATORY part of any rebuild.

A beat up piece like that will develop hot spots and I think can cause detonation. Not to mention little fragments could work loose and screw things up.

My rule of thumb is light dings or less than 10 bigger dings...run it. That piece there is scrap.

Hmm... you have an interesting point about pre-detonation. But by that logic, wouldn't even one big ding could cause a hot spot and cause pre-detonation?

Tried to upload a couple more but i guess i hit my limit on this site or something.

Dude SWEET SKI northshore! Clean, simple and I bet, pretty damn effective on the water :) ::sigh:: I really need to spend some time on mine and bring it up to this standard this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back