RESTO Rosie's Rebuild and More!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright folks time to order me a new prop. Talked to dave from Impros and he recommended with my setup either the Skat Swirl 16/24 or the Solas Concord 15/23. I told him i had wanted some mean holeshot with no loss of speed(don't we all! LOL). He should have never recommended two props because now i cant decide(the differences are probably minimal) Someone help me out . Swing me to either Solas or Skat lol

The only 15/23's I used were in a Challenger 1800, and that thing hooked 'n booked. I was impressed with them. I'm sure Braley will chime in.

Thanks for the info 1 of 500, but i would rather get an opinion from people that may have used the individual props rather than a rep for a single company. And im sure matt has used them both at one time or another.

I sent the pump from my rxx to them to replace the stainless wear ring and repair the prop I spoke with him a few times during the process he has been involved in the research and development for pwc products for over 20 years

Yes Glen at Skat is great. His props hook up better out of the hole. A Skat swirl will have better holeshot and be less likely to cavitate in choppy or foamy water. They don't get the fastest top speeds though without being "set back". He made pumps that took longer drive shafts placing the impeller further back. With those you get the best of both worlds.

Solas is not made in America like Skat I think they come from Taiwan. They do make a nice prop though and I've seen my best top speeds with them. Not sure about the Concord though, I've always used the XO's. 15/23 would be too short in a XO their #'s seem to run closer to the Skat swirls.

In a Skat swirl you would want a 16/23 maybe. Do you have aftermarket nozzles? You might be able to pull a 16/24 with stock nozzles but it's the prop I've seen in full race skis. With a 16/23 it would accelerate better and rev more up top. This can be faster if you run out of power trying to turn a taller prop.

All Solas XO's are not the same. They have slight pitch variations. Usually a 16/24 or a 16/24.5 is just right. If you end up buying one that you don't like you can send it to Skat or Impros for a re-pitch.

Yes matt i have 85/88. i have a solas xo on the shelf that i had Impros refinish last year. good mid range prop for sure.

Just ordered me a new Solas Concord 15/23. We will see what happens, Got my trust in dave.

Plan for the weekend is .
1. Install new wear ring/ prop.
2. Go thru carbs and install all new parts.
3. Hopefully put it all back together lol

Still have to run all the fuel lines etc.

Sounds like everything is coming together nicely!
What made you decide to go with the concord 15/23?

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

I had talked to Dave and told him the mods i have (head,nozzles,Pump wedge, rejet, etc) and told him i wanted some bottom end hit (of the skat swirl),but wanted to keep my speed of my current prop(solas XO). He came up with either a modified swirl or the Concord. He said the concord will help with the bottom end without scrubbing too much off the top. Think the pump wedge will help with keeping some speed. We will see!

No pipe? With all those mods a pipe would really give you some power

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Well ladies and gents, She is ALIVEE!!!
Carbs will of course need tuning on the water, still have to put the new handlebar cover and some other little stuff on . Thanks to everyone who helped get me this far but we all know its not over until a water test lol
https://youtu.be/htyQP3tWx1s
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/htyQP3tWx1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have a question lol The ski is premix , I looped the RV oil hose and put in the radiator T. I filled it up and it does have a small air pocket, but should i drill a small hole in the top of the cap for vent?

I've done it with and without a vent and been OK so far. I'm always rocking the T back and forth to get the bubble out. I've learned to like the bubble though so I can glance at it and determine if it is consuming any rv cavity oil or not. Many older bottom ends do consume some and that's fine if you don't let it run dry.

UPDATE:

Such a pretty day today, took the ski out for her first taste of water with the new motor. Wish i would have gotten some more pics but will get some of the ski next weekend. First off just idled the ski around for around 30 mins, then swapped in some new plugs and rode it varying the throttle through 50% for about 30 min. Swapped the plugs again and rode it the same varying the throttle all day. All i have to say is dang!The ski has some serious throttle response off idle. Very peppy and I like:) Ski ran pretty good all day. At around 1/4 throttle sounds like it is missing out so i think it's a bit rich down low from looking at the plugs. Need some advice though, after letting the ski sit for 30 mins or so.. It starts pretty easy but anything more than idle it just bogs down and wants to die. After a few seconds of idle and blipping the throttle it will eventually be good to go. Think it may be just that rich down low and maybe because of the 32/1 ratio I was running for the first tank. Not sure, but advice is appreciated. But once it clears up, you can go down to idle again and it runs fine from idle with no hesitation/stuttering.Thanks guys!

I'm having the same problem with my ski. It's only when it sits for a decent amount of time and only when first started. I found that if I pump the primer it will go away. I just tired riching the low speed needle to see if it will help. I will let you know what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back