Please need help !!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I did not ask. The motor also was not aligned, nor did it have sealant between the case halves. He put it everywhere else though.

All the holes were cleaned out with taps

417.jpg

All the bolts were wire wheeled

418.jpg

419.jpg

420.jpg

421.jpg

All cleaned up

422.jpg

423.jpg

424.jpg

The case halves had sealant applied, the crank and counterbalancer were aligned

425.jpg

426.jpg

All seals and orings replaced
427.jpg

428.jpg

The cases were torqued to spec in the pattern shown in the manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I'm not a perfectionist by any means (you should see how I fixed my leaky toilet last nite) but that is a straight up sin.. So just by the bendix missing the bracket alone, the ski probably wouldn't have even started/engaged? Wow the owner would've spent tons of time and possibly money with no results on why this thing wouldn't have run or lasted.. Kudos to you JSG for stepping in.. Seriously. You have no idea how much time and trouble you've saved him.. Regardless of the cost..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No the crank was not rebuilt. The only new parts are the pistons and gasket kit. Looks like someone was just attempting to freshen up the motor. The cylinders were honed too. Alot of things were done wrong. The biggest issues so far have been the bendix plate missing. The pickup covered in goo and the sealant and gasket issues.

The crank was in good condition, the rods were tight, the bearings sound good with no movement side to side or up and down. The counterbalancer is in perfect shape.

More motor work.

The pickup was covered in caulk

433.jpg

Cleaned up
434.jpg

Cylinders covered in goop

435.jpg

436.jpg

437.jpg

All cleaned up

438.jpg

439.jpg

All this came off of them
440.jpg

Pistons and rings installed, with a new base gasket not a reused one lol
441.jpg

Make sure to have the arrows pointing towards the exhaust outlet.
442.jpg

Cylinders on
443.jpg

Studs going in, with blue lock tite
444.jpg

To torque the studs take 2 nuts and tighten them up to each other and torque
445.jpg

446.jpg

After the studs are in coat the orings with grease and slide them over the studs into the cavity. Make sure to wipe the grease off the threads when done

447.jpg

The head was filthy but no pitting
448.jpg

Looks great after a scotchbrite and degrease
449.jpg

Base gasket on, now we put synthetic grease and blue locktite on the nuts and bolts
450.jpg

Flywheel, pto and bendix installed
451.jpg

This is the part that was missing. I ordered one from Nick but we used the one off my 98xpl.
452.jpg

Then we put sae 30 oil in the counterbalancer cavity. 1.3 oz is called for.
453.jpg

454.jpg

The motor is back togethor and now will be prepped and painted. Hopefully next weekend it will be going back in.

Doing a great job. Can't wait to see how the motor turns out, gunna do some custom paint on it to match the body? Shoot you should let the guy come back and paint the motor, I know your good but that guy seems to know what he's doing as well!

Lol, he is picking up the motor and painting it. We decided on that the first night. We have just been playing the waiting game on gaskets and parts. Now that the motor is done he is going to take it and paint it. When we get it back we should have it back togethor in 1 day.

JSG,
so with that bendix bracket GONE, the ski would NOT have ran, or will it still have started at some point?

There's no way it would have started, the Bendix would have kicked to one side and the starter would spin or grind gears.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

that appears to be the worse assembly job I've ever seen, top to bottom, It's almost as if he intentionally butchered it.

Prob good that they coated the pickup, that motor wouldnt have lasted 10-15mins. Ive pulled apart some motors that looked similar. They at least used RTV though...not bathtub caulk.

On the front mag cover....obviously this one was done insanely bad, but I do put a light coat of RTV on the seal on the mag cover. Just a little...and a little on the starter when that gets installed. It will keep water from getting inside if it has a moment with a bunch of water in the hull.

Prob good that they coated the pickup, that motor wouldnt have lasted 10-15mins. Ive pulled apart some motors that looked similar. They at least used RTV though...not bathtub caulk.

On the front mag cover....obviously this one was done insanely bad, but I do put a light coat of RTV on the seal on the mag cover. Just a little...and a little on the starter when that gets installed. It will keep water from getting inside if it has a moment with a bunch of water in the hull.
Makes sense. I think some of the people who use a ton of that stuff are probably from the old school car era of where they'd use gasket maker in lieu of the actual gasket that is called for. I've NEVER used just gasket maker. I've used it in CONJUCTION WITH the intended gasket (just a tiny bit to HOLD the gasket in place, especially if you're installing something from a top position where the gasket can fall off or misalign) but NEVER by itself.

Makes sense. I think some of the people who use a ton of that stuff are probably from the old school car era of where they'd use gasket maker in lieu of the actual gasket that is called for. I've NEVER used just gasket maker. I've used it in CONJUCTION WITH the intended gasket (just a tiny bit to HOLD the gasket in place, especially if you're installing something from a top position where the gasket can fall off or misalign) but NEVER by itself.

I'll go one step further and say that I love the new spray on gasket maker to hold gaskets in position! Just makes it easier to get everything lined up. I don't use it as a sealer but just to hold gasket in place when necessary

they do make gasket holder that is made just to hold gaskets in place for assembly, comes in a brush can. i use it all the time for those carb gaskets that love to slide under the engine when installing carbs.

they do make gasket holder that is made just to hold gaskets in place for assembly, comes in a brush can. i use it all the time for those carb gaskets that love to slide under the engine when installing carbs.

That's what I'm talking about, they make it in a spray can too!

No that stuff with the brush is the devil... That shit is so hard to clean up. The spray on copper is sticky but is easy to clean up.

Yup just used some the other day on one I went thru. Love it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back