Challenger extended ride plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have my boat back off the lift and in the driveway. What are the dimensions of the plate from the front to back?

I am going to get out my tape measure and see what length I may need one made to clear my cobra fins. This sounds way too good. If I have to have you make it a bit shorter, I suppose it won't have as much effect, but I bet it will help.

Thanks for the measurement, hopefully I will reply back with an order. Also let me know what your ratio of SS to Aluminum orders have been. And if anyone has had issues with the Aluminum losing it's shape.

Thanks guys!

I am going to get out my tape measure and see what length I may need one made to clear my cobra fins. This sounds way too good. If I have to have you make it a bit shorter, I suppose it won't have as much effect, but I bet it will help.
I'm interested on hearing you measurement for the length of the extended ride plate with the Cobra steering, as I was considering getting one. My ride plate is 6" longer then the stock plate.

What are your thoughts on the Cobra system?

I'm interested on hearing you measurement for the length of the extended ride plate with the Cobra steering, as I was considering getting one. My ride plate is 6" longer then the stock plate.

What are your thoughts on the Cobra system?

I measured 5.5" when straight and 4.5" turned. So If it is 6" past the normal plate, I would need it 1.5" shorter at least.

The reality is, if the new plate is dropping at a greater angle than the original plate, then it would actually drop below the fins and it's a non issue. That also leads me to believe that the fins would lose any usefullness.

I honestly would consider giving up the fins to rid my boat of the porpoising. It's a fair trade off as the fins made an improvement, but not as dramatic as what you guys are saying the plate does.

Aquaman, what is the verdict. How much longer over stock is your plate, and is it at more of an angle than stock?

Thanks guys!

Ok, I have my boat back off the lift and in the driveway. What are the dimensions of the plate from the front to back?

Thanks for the measurement, hopefully I will reply back with an order. Also let me know what your ratio of SS to Aluminum orders have been. And if anyone has had issues with the Aluminum losing it's shape.

Thanks guys!

The overall length of the ride plate is roughly 12 1/2 inches long. From the bend it is 10 inches long. 2 1/2 inches gets tucked underneath the pump mounting plate. The aluminum ones started to bend over time. I no longer make those. The stainless steel are the only ones that I make. What do the cobra fins do for the performance of your boat?

For all of you waiting for the ride plate plate, I'm sorry it has taken so long. The guy who make some for me at the shop is extremely busy. I am going to call him again tomorrow and hopefully he can have them done by the end of the week, but no guarantees.

The ride plates will be done Wednesday. For all of you who are waiting for the ride plates I need to get your address where you want the plate shipped and also your email address.
Thanks Mark

I will have to check on the shipping to Canada. The ride plate is $100.00

I just got a unexpected phone call. The ride plates are done I'm going to get them up tomorrow and I can ship them out tomorrow.
I will be sending out the PayPal invoices when I get home later tonight

Well, I have to admit I am jacked to get my new AM Extended Ride Plate installed this week. Mark just messaged me that he thinks it will be here Thursday or Friday. Just in time for the holiday.

So in preparation, I went out with the proper tools and checked to see if I could loosen up the bolts. I rigged my 3/8 socket with a T27 socket and my 1/4 socket with the largest Phillips driver. I really didn't want to strip those heads.

Before hitting them with PB blaster, I gave each a little nudge, and wouldn't you know, they all came loose! I am ready for the plate.

For those of you that have installed this thing, were longer bolts needed, or is the extension at a similar drop going to do the trick? Thanks for the input guys.

image.jpgimage2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Aquaman....I have PM'ed you twice but it is not showing up that I sent you anything. I had requested one from you in July. I will try to PM again if you haven't received anything. Thanks.

The last PM I got from you was on 8/25. I sent you a PayPal request on Monday. Let me know if you did not get it

Well, I have to admit I am jacked to get my new AM Extended Ride Plate installed this week. Mark just messaged me that he thinks it will be here Thursday or Friday. Just in time for the holiday.

So in preparation, I went out with the proper tools and checked to see if I could loosen up the bolts. I rigged my 3/8 socket with a T27 socket and my 1/4 socket with the largest Phillips driver. I really didn't want to strip those heads.

Before hitting them with PB blaster, I gave each a little nudge, and wouldn't you know, they all came loose! I am ready for the plate.

For those of you that have installed this thing, were longer bolts needed, or is the extension at a similar drop going to do the trick? Thanks for the input guys.

View attachment 27552View attachment 27553

You will not need longer bolts. A good starting angle for the ride plate is, measure From the bottom of the right plate to the nut that holds on the steering nozzle. approximately 2 inches to 2 1/4 inches is a good starting point. Let me know if you need any help.

Ok, so I have it installed. Of course we were out late on the river last night, and the boat is not square on the trailer. And this leads to the visual squaring up to be way off!

I measured down from a common point to get it as level as possible. I will just have to water-trial it and see if it pulls left or right.

This is one of those designs that you get in your hands and cannot help but think, WTF, why didn't I just make one of these. I am more than happy to pay for ingenuity if someone takes the time to do it.

Here are some pics. And for those that are considering Cobra Fins, just skip it and get the longer plate. I took the 1.5" off to accommodate the fins, and I think they negate whatever the fins did anyway. we will see.

Thanks Aquaman (Mark) The new AM Extended Ride Plate has got to help!

photo 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

well, i never got to install my aluminum plate... due to the fact the the bolts were completely stuck.. and before i could try other methods to remove them.. last weekend apparently oil pump died while out in the water.. and well.. led to a blown engine... therefore if anyone is looking to buy one aluminum plate from Aquaman1, i have one available for sale.. brand new that i purchased from him not long ago... let me know if anyone is interested.

p.s Aquaman1, don't mean to interfere with your sales but i didn't know anywhere else to post it where people would know what it was.. so hope you don't mind me posting it here.

That is a total bummer for sure. I always think about that when mine fires up, I get the usual amount of smoke. But then I realize, that's a good thing, and it's still burning oil.

Good luck with your engine repairs.

That is a total bummer for sure. I always think about that when mine fires up, I get the usual amount of smoke. But then I realize, that's a good thing, and it's still burning oil.

Good luck with your engine repairs.

i know man! worst part is that i had done the weekend before a complete tune up, from sparks to filters , sensors, and all and it was running soo smooth!.. i can only speculate on the cause of the damage.. to be honest ive been to pissed off to look into it.. all i know is that i found the hole and end of connecting rod. so thats enough for me.. as far as the repair.. i just posted the boat for sale.. i really dont have the time and money right now to get it fixed... it sucks.. but hey.. life goes on!

IMG_2377.JPG
Finally got my ride plate on and took it out for a spin. Ended up having to drill and tap to get the Phillips head screws off.

In case anyone was wondering the M8-1.25 30mm SS Screws can be found at Home Depot online or in my case of one of 6 stores near me locally stocked them.

Huge improvement in smoothing things out but I still think I need to make a few adjustments though. On smooth water at 30+ it feels unstable and gets a back and forth instability I can only equate to tank slapping on a motorcycle. Slow down and it goes away. I did recently swap the steering cable so I probably still have some fine tuning to do with it but it seems to track pretty straight with a little torque steer.

Attachments

• IMG_2377.JPG
    IMG_2377.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 98
Ok, I finally got the chance to get out on the boat after installing the AM Extended ride plate. AMAZING!!

It was just me and my buddy in the boat which usually means porpoising, especially with 15mph wind and chop. I immediately noticed that it planed quicker, and we were ripping at 50mph through the chop! It's an incredible improvement.

I was happy that I got it the angle right the first time, and it didn't seem to pull left or right. Thanks Aqua Man!

Ok, I finally got the chance to get out on the boat after installing the AM Extended ride plate. AMAZING!!

It was just me and my buddy in the boat which usually means porpoising, especially with 15mph wind and chop. I immediately noticed that it planed quicker, and we were ripping at 50mph through the chop! It's an incredible improvement.

I was happy that I got it the angle right the first time, and it didn't seem to pull left or right. Thanks Aqua Man!

I'm glad to hear that the ride plate is working out for you. Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back