Seadoo 95 XP - Ran great... For 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So disappointing but very satisfying after getting it in the open ocean today. Xp ran well. I think it could do better but that will come with time. Maybe new wear ring or something. Did some random swell jumping. Nothing spectacular but was a blast.

New Seat Cover :)

The XP is running pretty well and so is the tigershark but I took it out yesterday and when I was launching, this guy with a 100 year old pro-line was staring at my boats and shaking his head in disapproval.! His boat looked terrible. Never again. This is what it looks like now but not for long. Only problem in my opinion is that the purple is everywhere. Bumpers, hydroturf and sponsons are so expensive and I want them gone. Any advice on cleaning it up a little bit would be appreciated.

580.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, Im not really digging the black. You got black, purple, yellow, pink and white. Its hard to make those match, I would get rid of the black and go back to the stock look if you can...

Thanks for the honest opinion. I'm too far gone to turn around now. Just keep on painting... I have a handlebar pad and hood cover from an gtx or something. Painting it Black and the pad upholster to grey. I was thinking about changing the decal colors to black and painting the gas cap and side vents grey. Also have grey hockey tape for the grab bar. Evntually I want the black marble hydroturf and the black bumpers. But that's a lot of money. Soons hopefully.

Heres where I'm at.
I have the black sponons ready to go on next.
You could paint gas cap / air vents / fuel selector or get pieces for 20+ bucks.

Edit: I've switch to a black single hood since that pic.

Thanks for the honest opinion. I'm too far gone to turn around now. Just keep on painting... I have a handlebar pad and hood cover from an gtx or something. Painting it Black and the pad upholster to grey. I was thinking about changing the decal colors to black and painting the gas cap and side vents grey. Also have grey hockey tape for the grab bar. Evntually I want the black marble hydroturf and the black bumpers. But that's a lot of money. Soons hopefully.

In my opinion it would look better with the decals taken off, like ocod's. I would leave the vents and gas cap yellow and paint the grab bar yellow, I think it would look nice with some yellow up top with all the yellow on the bottom. Do the trim, and turf when you get money. Oh and paint the sponsons black. Again just my opinion, looks like you got a good start :thumbsup:

Actually like that idea youcandooit. The handlebar pad is already yellow and the handlebar cover is painted gloss black so that should add a little more yellow to the top. Definitely getting rid of all the pink and purple when the time comes. paint the sponsons in place or take them out and paint? seems like a pain to take off.

I like your style. good work. What are you doing after the sponsons? I was looking at a single gauge hood but couldn't afford it. Do you have the original traction mats? They are terrible. As hard as concrete but they do grip well enough. How long did it take to buff out the decal marks?

Actually like that idea youcandooit. The handlebar pad is already yellow and the handlebar cover is painted gloss black so that should add a little more yellow to the top. Definitely getting rid of all the pink and purple when the time comes. paint the sponsons in place or take them out and paint? seems like a pain to take off.

I would probably take them off to paint, and yes it is a pain to get to them lol. I have never swapped a set out, but the previous owner replaced a set on my xp, and absolutely butchered the foam. I think he got pissed and cut the foam out to install, them used some glue to put it back. Looks like a set of black sponsons on ebay are going for around $20 if you would rather save the time of painting them. The yellow handle bar cover would look good too I think. IMO aftermarket traction mats are all over priced for what they are. The stock traction mats are pretty bad, I still have some on my old spi. I hit a wake one day my foot slide over a rivet that had popped up, and sliced the hell out of my foot. That made me really appreciate hydro turf on my other skis lol.

Yeah what he said...seadoo would have been better off putting nothing on them. I take customer machines out and always forget how slippery they are.

Dr Honda, who was homegrown in the same area as I am, recommended getting a large intake grate and some trim tabs for my rough water XP problems. Seems pretty simple. Just swap them out, squeeze some Loctite on the screws, and bolt the new ones on. I just don't want to pay a bunch of money for a new one. I mean, I only paid 750 for the two skis that didn't run when I got them. I didn't even hear them start. Just on the guys word. Which surprisingly meant something. I think I put in about 450 into them to get them running and some cosmetic stuff. So about 1200 for two running pwc's and a trailer. Came with more lifejackets than I need, all the coast guard safety stuff, about 2 gallons of the expensive xps oil, and permanently registered trailer which i'm repainting soon. I still need to figure out how to get the handlebar cover on. Haven't really tried to get it on or anything but going to have to make some type of bracket for the pad.

I bought the Solas intake grate that Dr. Honda recommended because he knows my area very well. Also asked him if he could make me trim tabs like he has on his XP. I hope it works out.

Your ski's look really good. I started out with a older seadoo and tigershark just like you, however, you have yours looking much better than mine ever did!! The Heck with the way that guy with the old pro line looked at you and your ski's. Keep doing what your doing they look great.

The reason I didn't go with the jet dynamics was I was worried about trash and stuff getting sucked up around the single bar. There is a lot of debris and kelp forests nearby. You can't ride a few seconds without seeing trash, drifting kelp, or hoop nets where I ride and I was speptical about the single bar. He never said the solas was the best but practical for my situation. :)

Thanks. I've been working hard on the XP but some of the cosmetic stuff is hard to justify spending the money. I originally bought it just to get it running and to ride to some spearfishing spots. Then it turned into buying aftermarket intake grate, trim tabs, painted hood, painted handlebar cover, new seat cover, and handlebar grips. Now I want it looking like showroom. hahaah. You guys created a monster.

I paid $85 for the new solas intake grate. I hope it makes a big difference because I think my friend that I work on the skis with is a little skeptical about it. I'm sure we will get something out of it but who knows. Thats the most we have spent for the XP. Intake costs more than sending the carburetor to be rebuilt and I spent the money that I was saving for hydro turf. A couple of the rivets came out of the stock traction mats. Will it leak into the hull or is there something stopping it? I'm guessing its leaking. hahah. A couple cups of water came out the drain plug after riding for a couple hours but we were wave jumping and doing spins. Basically beat the hell out of the skis to see if there are any problems.

Another problem free day for the XP. Except the bouncing which I'm addressing with a solas intake grate, maybe some trim tabs if i can find some, and adjusting my vts, which is broken, closer to the middle position. My friend was riding the xp today and he noted how tired he was from the porpoising. The tigershark bogged down and stalled two times early in the day after running hard and then to idle but started right back up and ran perfectly for the rest of the day. I'm guessing the carburetor filter is clogged a little bit or something. What do you guys think.

you better do a carb cleaning before it blows up. there are no tigersharks anymore so parts are harder to find and more expensive

Hahah. Will it really blow up? You think the carb is the problem. Yeah tigershark parts have been really tough to find. I should have sent Dr Honda the tigershark carburetor when we sent in the xp carb but we didn't know anything was wrong with it. Its just a single carb maybe i can get to the filter without unbolting it from the block... probably should just rebuild the thing. Ty for the quick response creynoldsmiz.

Clogged carb filters are about the top reason seadoos blow up their motors. The filters get clogged, and then the ski runs lean and boom goes the dynamite. If you have never cleaned the one in the tigershark, you might as well now and make sure it stays running for a long time

That's true I should have cleaned them as soon as I bought it. I think the fuel tank vents were switched. Theres one flow in and another flow out. When the tigershark stalls, we try to open the gas tank and it's vacuumed on there. After turning it with all my might I can open it and it starts right up. I think we have it right now because it hasn't stalled since the last time we messed with the vents. I'll talk to my buddies and try to convince them that the problem is large enough to get the carbs rebuilt.

Also getting a new wear ring for the XP because I looked at it. The gap from impeller to wear ring looks larger than it should but its worn evenly except it doesn't have an even gap on the 4th quadrant. I could fit probably 3 sheets of printer paper or more in the gap on the bottom right hand corner. My friend said that the 95 XP will never beat the 97 Tigershark 640 Montego in chop because of the Tigersharks hull design. I'd like to prove him wrong. Intake grate coming, fixing vts(hopefully everything is not ruined. have yet to troubleshoot) and new wear ring on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back