Seadoo 95 XP - Ran great... For 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I get a message from the ebay seller that I bought the WSM wear ring from and he sent me a message after I purchased it. I asked him if it had a lip and what material it is made of. He said it had a lip and made of delrin. Then after I purchased it this is what I get.

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in our parts. Unfortunately I don't know the exact design of this wear ring, however they are usually a delrin material. Usually these wear rings won't work on anything but the WSM housing as well so if you have a stock housing I can't promise this will work. Thanks and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Please let me know if I'm being unreasonable. I read through the ebay page to make sure. Isn't he describing something that should fit my XP? Can't promise this can work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta stick with OEM for wear rings. I've heard of issues from SBT and WSM wear rings. Naturally never experienced it personally.

From the pic it even looks like an OEM, but if he says he can't guarantee it'll fit......it's not OEM.

Well aint that some B.S....yeah, I would see if you can get your money back. You shoulda just bought an oem one, that is the only way to go.

I bought a wsm and it was not a good fit, the gap between my old worn one was closer than the new wsm one I installed. The one I bought was white. My gsi never cavitiated before I put the wsm wear ring in but I bought a new impeller and while I had it apart I wanted to change the wear ring. Since I am a cheap asz I thought I would save the $20 but that was a huge mistake, the first time after I installed my wear ring I experienced the worst cavitation I have ever felt. When I hit the throttle out of the hole I went nowhere and the whole seadoo shook violently.

I bought a WSM wear ring last year from Atlantic Jet Sports. I usually buy OEM but it was an emergency and I couldn't find an OEM. God forbid I couldn't use my ski that weekend. Anyway it's all good so far, it fit well and it seems to be wearing well also. For some reason I'm hard on wear rings.

Lou

New tigershark seat cover and painted hood.

166.jpg

The XP intake grate came in and also the wear ring. I think it might fit but since some people have problems with wms wear rings he wants to cover himself. I don't think that the right way to do business.

Painted the handlebar cover for the XP. Needs some sanding and painting again. I think we are going to weld a bar with a couple threaded holes for the handlebar pad. probably not the easiest way but that's the plan. Yellow pad and black cover.

Solas intake grate and wear ring. Intake grate was super easy. Looks like it will work great. Tried to get the wear ring off by the freezer method. Didn't work. Live to fight another day. No impeller removal tool so I'm busting out the trusty jigsaw, screwdriver and hammer to muscle the wear ring out with the impeller still in. I read something about cutting it and then wedging a screwdriver into the wear ring to pry it until it snaps. The impeller has a few nicks and gouges on the impeller leading edges. I should've taken a picture. I saw a solas one on ebay that a member here is selling but that's another $100 that I don't have. Sigh. The impeller will have to do. Old wear ring was really bad. Huge gap and the lip on it had gouges everywhere.

Yes it is. Would that gouge you noted on the description influence performance at all? To be honest I didn't see anything. The leading edges on the stock one I have is pretty bad but might have to do for a season. I will get it soon the only thing is that I want to ride it tomorrow. haha.

It is in this picture. It is very light but I tend to put everything I notice in my descriptions, I do not want anyone to think I am pulling a fast one.

It looks like something was sucked through and hit the impeller. The pump had a brand new wear ring in it, so I will be using the housing on a future build, maybe the 99spx

The previous owner had it n a 98 spx. Judging by the chart, I think this is meant for the 717 not 787.

43.jpg

Yup that's the only way to do business. Honest sales get repeat customers. That little gouge will buff out right? hahah. The leading edge looks nice compared to mine. I'll take a picture this weekend of the wear ring and impeller.

On a side note, I cleaned the internal carb filter on the tigershark and still won't start. Probably could have started if the battery was not so low and I didn't get to try very long to start it so I'll try again tomorrow after charging. Thinking about putting some premix in the spark plug holes to start it up or installing an inline primer bulb from my friends outboard I found in the garage if it's still hard starting.

Is it unwise to sand or file the impeller if there are some gouges in the leading edges? It doesn't look too bad just a little beat up. I can probably sand it and try not to touch the edge.

Would the ding influence the performance of the impeller? Would this one give me better acceleration and hookup? or top speed?

so here is my impeller. The dust is from the dremel tool I used to cut the wear ring.

photo_zps061a5f52.jpg

All the blades look the same. I think a few strokes of a file would do it well. I read to count the file strokes and do it evenly or it will vibrate. I'm glad I read that, especially with a new dremel in my hands. After working all weekend I'm excited for what I call Monday funday. I love going to the boat launch and nobody's there.

You were right. The impeller was fine today. Actually ran great today but its hard to say because it was really choppy. The tigershark handles it way better but it was porpoising for the first time for me. The XP jumped out of the hole with a new wear ring and intake grate. Hooked up a lot better but it was no use out there today. We were literally the only ones out. I stuck a swim fin and a vhf radio into the box just in case hahah. It was really crazy out there today especially outside of the breakwall. We got out there at around 3pm, and in southern California. The winds churn the ocean into brown pudding with huge white caps. There was some 3-4ft swell out there and it made for some fun wave jumping. We literally beat the crap out of the skis and they held up. Ran better after running hard actually and almost no water came out of the hull at the landing when we pulled the plugs. How much of a beating can they take? When they jump they dive back into the water like a submarine. Scary but fun. Thought I filled the hull with water and so did my buddy but it just dripped out. First time we had no problems with both skis. It was great. TY guys! On the tigershark I got the carb filter out, cleaned it, and it doesn't bog anymore.

Sorry there was one problem. Tachometer died on the way in today. Just dropped down to zero. I watched it die. At least we got the carb synced before it passed. The information gauge still works and the vts sensor works. Vts doesn't work. We take the motor off and turn it by hand and put it back. :)

I imagine a bunch of water got into the tachometer today when we were using it as an underwater scooter. hahaha.

Take of the access cover on the backside of the hood. Maybe the tach just came unplugged, since you were jumping larger waves it may have jolted it loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back