RESTO Rosie's Rebuild and More!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosie2514

Hey guys, Since the XP is out of commision and needs ATLEAST a new topend, I figured I would start this thread now and just keep adding until its completed.
The ski has been giving me problems for the last couple of times ive taken it out and have been trying to diagnose it ever since.
You can see in these Threads:
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?70549-(-96XP-down
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?70370-96-xp-runs-fine-then-doesn-t-run-at-all-!
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?65718-The-My-96XP-always-dies-at-the-same-interval-thread

Background:
The Ski is a 96XP.
Purchased in 2012 from a man in Nevada where it was stored since 01.
The ski was a gift to the original owner's daughter for her 16th birthday back in 96.
In 01 the ski blew an exhaust gasket and was put up until 2012 when the guy fixed it and listed it for sale(his story).
The original owner's daughter joined the Army and was stationed in Fort Hood.
Saw the ski for sale and he brought it down from Nebraska with the 01 registration stickers and the Nevada Title in Hand.

Did all the regular maintenance the ski like usual.
Changed fuel lines.
Checked oil lines(Should have replaced)
Changed oil filter
Cleaned Carbs
Compression 150 150
Cleaned RAVE valves
Fixed Fuel guage
Fixed Trim
Buffed Ski

Stickers were in bad shape so i removed them and added my own taste

Then added a Solas XO, Odyssey Pump Wedge, Trail Tach, And R&D 85/88 nozzles.
Vid:http://youtu.be/KlqcP3xjOh8
She ran good! 6900 RPM no dead spots.
This is the last picture of her running, from this weekend(5/24/14)

Then This happened :/.

Which can be read about here:
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?70549-(-96XP-down
Anyway, Sicne full damage hasnt been discovered yet since i havent pulled the head(Pulling motor tommorow) , We will see what happens!
Plans are:
rebuild from FullBore at the least.
Add Sponsons
Add A/M Head (dont know what kind yet)
Pro K's /rejet
And a Rossier pipe(if i can find one ) HINT: Anyone that has one for sale :)
Single guage hood
New stencil on seat
And of course other misc stuff like new plug wires and yada yada

Ill be posting pictures all the way for all that are interested and even if you arent interested i figured it would be cool since ive read SO many good build/resto threads.. Suke, DoberDan,Racerxxx,JetSkiGoodies,CReynoldz,blacknyellow.. just to name a few!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pull the PTO off now if you're splitting the cases, easier to do it in the hull and bolted down.

good to know racer.
Not sure if im gonna split the cases or not! Kinda scared lol!
Never been further than top end.

Hi

All the best with the restore.

It will be nice to check and see what you have been up to. I regret not taking pictures when doing my top end. Its nice to have something to refer to when your asking questions or telling people what you have done. Will watch out for new entries to your thread.

Rhonus

I'm praying every time I take my ski out( which I haven't yet this season) that I don't run into an issue like you Rosie. Hate to hear it. :angelsad:

Thanks rhonus and suke . I'm kind of at a crossroad though . I'm pulling the motor out for sure so that I can clean up the engine bay and what not also . I honestly don't want to touch the bottom end .

Sent from my Walkie talkie using Tapatalk

Anyone have any opinion on just doing topend and leaving the cases together ?

For me, I would also split it down and check the crank especially if parts scattered off a piston and measure the tolerances on the crank (specs in manual). If the bearings feel/sound good, rods check out with tolerance etc.... then I'd use it. I'd also at a minimum put new bearings on the counter balance, hate to see it all go back together just to unload cause a rear CB bearing failed and wiped the CB drive gear off the crank. I'm also a bad guy to ask, I could never buy a runner and just keep using it. Exactly what is going through Suke's mind would be going through my mind every ride during the whole ride, "When's it gonna let loose?" I can't ride like that cause I will ride solo and only carry a spark plug wrench and 2 plugs. Do the cost analysis on the top end vs. a full rebuild vs. how long you want to remain the owner, and then is it a financially smart move? Don't over extend yourself if you can't afford it--be smart with your money!

Here's a for instance:

SBT top end $475(plus shipping--not sure if return shipping is included but probably)
SBT standard engine $845 (plus shipping and misc gaskets(includes return shipping of core))

All said and told you're probably about $500 between the two after you ship your jugs back. There are other rebuilders out there cheaper but you also don't get new RAVES, housings, bellows so you should factor that in too. I assume pistons are gonna run you $200, bore job is probably $100 for the pair plus wrist pin bearings, and gaskets, you're getting close to $400+/- plus the wait to get the stuff. It's a tough nut to swallow. Put it all down on paper and make your best judgement.

Have it lots of thought all day and Well I've came to the decision . NEW MOTOR time . I simply am not going to risk having something in the crankcase . . I don't ever see myself selling this ski and it only makes financial sense to do it and do it right . Thanks racer , you really put the costs into perspective and I don't see the benefit of doing it half ass .

Have it lots of thought all day and Well I've came to the decision . NEW MOTOR time . I simply am not going to risk having something in the crankcase . . I don't ever see myself selling this ski and it only makes financial sense to do it and do it right . Thanks racer , you really put the costs into perspective and I don't see the benefit of doing it half ass .

Good decision ... too nice a looking ski to not make the innards match ... plus the warm-fuzzies of going out and feeling comfortable that someone like me on my 89 SP does not need to tow you back in.
Rod

Thanks for the compliment Rod. Now the question is ..
New motor from SBT?
Or full rebuilt motor from FullBore ?
Researching both companies you find some bad apples. Price wise , they are nearly the same and both come with warranty . Only thing is that SBT gives you a rebuilt DIFFERENT engine . While FullBore rebuild your actual engine . It would be my luck to use SBT and end up with someone's old motor that lived a salt water life lol
Paint can only hide for so long .

if you want to ride asap sbt would be the way to go as you can have an engine within few days, had mine done by ses but turnaround time could be a few weeks or more depending how busy they are.

I'm currently running an SBT motor in my 96xp as well. It runs great, but I kept the original motor to rebuild myself at a later time.
If you have an old core laying around, it might be cool to send it in instead of your engine.
Good luck. :)

Had a little surgery today on the XP

Motor is dirty dirty.

PTO Piston

Head

Thinkk my Carbon seal is still good? lol

Hi Rosie

Looks a bit like mine did when I stripped it down. Not sure what the other guys will say. But the pitting on the cylinder head. I buffed with a dremel, psi was 153 approx. after rebuild. As I had both the Cylinders off I was able to wash out the bottom end. If I remember I had a few crumbs in there. Maybe I'll be in trouble later! I did give it a good wash out and there was no residue their after. My problem was the shop ceased the engine and said it was scrap. That the money it would cost to repair would buy me another ski. I disagreed and rebuilt it myself, felt it would be good experience. I wasn't confident enough to split the bottom end though. Maybe I'll look into that come November. Or before if I've not cleaned it out properly :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info rhonus . Any idea on what you think caused this ?

If you mean the pitting on the Cylinder head. your piston caused that when it disintegrated. Not sure why it disintegrated though. I would guess possibly over heating or lack of oil, if your not premixing. I'm not doing this myself. I'm only doing it while I run the engine in. Maybe even age comes into it too, some of the others I sure will give us more details on the disintegration.

When I rebuilt the guy I bought the pistons off was very helpful. In that when I went to him for tools he would tell me if I needed them or not. For example the is a tool for compressing the rings to get your cylinder on to the piston. He told me to squeeze the rings one at a time and slip the piston over them. His advice worked a treat and saved me £100 quid. Others are not so helpful one let me buy OETIKER-PLIERS (£76) a waste of money you can tie wrap the rubber to the PTO and drive shaft as you'll see in some YouTube videos.

Best advice is to ask lots of questions here. Their knowledge saves you time and money. The more posts they have the better experience they'll have. Unlike me :)

Looks familiar
42.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back