Engine compartment gets smoked up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick,

Talking about tools and gadgets, have you seen these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-portable-worklight-flashlight-67227.html

I even keep one on the refrigerator in case of emergency, it'll light up the whole room.

Lou

LOL gotta love disposable light! I quit buying those because the batteries cost more than the whole thing and they dont last very long.

They sell these separate at Northern and they use AA batteries. More light, cheap batteries.

16377_lg.jpg

I have a weird issue with disposable stuff...visiting the dump a few times a year does that to ya...LOL

I've been working on it for the last hour or 2... Slowly but surly I'm getting it apart. I got the cap and cylinder head plates off, took off the air box and pulled all of the bolts to the white piece of the exhaust pipe. However I'm stuck at this point now. I'm really struggling to get the exhaust off of the cylinder. But I have to go to work :( I will definitely be knocking out more this evening. So far so good

Sounds like you need a good rubber mallet. Back to harbor freight!

I'm confused...the 96 had purple pipes...not white. Theres two bolts holding the lower part of the pipe to the back of the engine, one on the mag housing bracket, and the 3 bolts and the nut on the manifold.

Hmm I saw 4 bolts holding the lower pipe on the engine block... and the lower pipe (the piece from the engine that connects to the upper pipe with the 3 bolts and a nut) is white on mine. Maybe I missed a bolt?

The mag bracket bolt often breaks off...I find many like that. Sounds like you got it. I leave the pipe in one piece if the whole motor is coming out. If its staying in I just take the head pipe off.

Time for a rubber mallet!

:ack:Go to work. You need to get your priorities straight, call work, you've got a sick SeaDoo at home.

Lou

Alright I finally made my way through it. I successfully removed the heads. The only thing I have left to do is get the pistons off... Butttt I don't know how to do that so I've got some homework to do :confused: .... Now the side that had the bad compression looked a little rough so I think I am going to go ahead and send them off to get redone like you suggested. And as far as the water leak, right where the water was coming from the base gasket was torn. So I think that problem is solved :) Now to get these pistons off

Sounds great, I was more than a little disappointed when I heard you went to work when you had a sick SeaDoo at home. :lols: But it looks like you're on the right track now.

With that few hours it sounds like the P.O. either used the wrong oil, but probably ran out of oil. Hard to say. It might help to post pictures so we're sure what ever caused this doesn't happen again.

If you need to go more than one piston size over your RAVE valves will need to be champfered so you probably should send the rave valves with the cylinders.

Also I would get someone local to look at the cylinders and pistons, could be, with the few hours you have, you just need to hone the cylinders and new rings.

Lou

The PO said that at one point the oil pump went out and he had to replace it. But in the mean time I guess he manually mixed the fuel..... I wonder if maybe he mixed it incorrectly or possibly he ran it with straight gas on accident. Anything is possible. Well I already paid to have it done by "Full Bore"... I plan to ship it off tomorrow or monday and they said it should be done within 7 to 10 days. And I guess they send it back with all new gaskets, pistons, rings, o rings, circlips, head gasket, base gasket and everything. I also went ahead and ordered new exhaust gaskets since I have everything apart anyway.

O.K., that's probably not a bad idea, this should put your motor back in like new condition. Be sure send your RAVE valves with the cylinders.

Lou

Sure will. Only costs an extra $20 to do both valves... btw if later on down the road I need to buy a new rave valve, can I send it somewhere to get it bored down to fit my cylinder? Maybe I could even just send em back to 'full bore' if that situation ever arrises

If you got the $$ buy new ones now...they are all pretty tired at this point.

They could prob trim a new set w/o the cyl, but they would have to cut them extra far to make sure there are no issues.

LOL at LOUs pic....who photoshopped the aussie chick in there?? LOLOL

Lou, we is definitely swinging thru Kentucky on the way home to chek out your new seat cover. Remember, after 4 hours ya have to seek medical attention.

Well I got the heads all packaged up today and ready to ship off and bam it hit me...... Its presidents day. Nobody around here is open to ship today so I will be sending them off tomorrow :rant:

So now that my heads are off getting done I'm sitting here thinking of what all I need to do to prepare my engine for the re assembly process. One thing I was wondering about is whether or not I should change the oil in the bottom end just in case any water may have dripped in there when I was disassembling the heads? If so, how would I do this on a seadoo? And one thing that makes me a little nervous is that one of my rings is broken and only half of it is accounted for. I'm nearly positive that it didn't fall into the bottom end but it still scares me. I should probably try and see if its under the engine inside the engine compartment. Any suggestions on what I should do about that? And one other thing, when you guys reassemble your heads do you use gasket sealer? Thanks again

dave

Good to see your moving ahead in the right direction.
Don't mess things up by not opening bottom end and going over everything.

So I started another thread about this but nobody has been able to help me so I figure I will post it here to. My question remains: How do you change the oil in the 1996 model of the 787 engine since there is no threaded fill port on the engine? Thanks a lot guys :)

You can't unless you rebuild it. Then you fill the little area with oil before you put the cases back together.....YES a very bad design!!!!

After (I think 96) they added a drain plug....go figure, we are both in the same boat, so to speak.

Haha pardon the pun. Its a shame but there is no way I will be able to change this oil. Hopefully there is no water in there or my engine might blow up :( ....... Thanks for the response by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back