Engine compartment gets smoked up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everybody. I'm nervous but I'm starting to feel better about this... I went shopping today and I will start picking away at this either today or in the next few days by starting with a compression test. I'll keep you posted and I'm also going to dig out my camera and take pictures along the way as well.

wish me luck!

Dave

Ok so I did a compression test and it came back negative. My front cylinder is ok at 131 pounds but the rear one is only coming up to 101. Any ideas?

:agree: Doesn't sound good. Even though with only 67 hours I would check the compression again. My 96GSX with 107hrs. was 156 and 160. When you checked the compression did you have the throttle open? Also see if you can borrow another gauge, I know that Auto Zone and Advance will loan you a compression gauge.

If you do need a top end rebuild you might want to look into Full Bore, they will take your cylinders bore or hone them, fit new pistons and send you all new gaskets. Makes it almost easy.

Lou

One mistake I did make was that I did the compression test with the engine cold... From what I know about motorcycles your never really suppose to do that but I honestly just thought about it... Hey Lou, what kind of $$$ are we talking for that? might not be a bad idea if its not to crazy on the pocket book.

Is this sort of what you mean? http://www.shopsbt.com/seadoo-jet-ski-cylinder-exchange/62-107.html

Started taking her apart tonight but I'm having a little trouble with the second layer (under the cap)

Last edited by a moderator:
well arrived in Charlotte about 2 hrs ago, very tired and going to bed early. But given only 67 hrs on the engine, i would definitely test the compression with another gauge before assuming the top end needs rebuilt. i just passed 100 hrs on both my 96 and 97 GSX's this year and have 150 on all. guys could his gasket issue be affecting compression? btw, checking compression cold is correct

Welcome to my hometown :driving: ...... Well I would really like to get the rest of this head off and see if there is any obvious damage to the pistons before I rule out anything... Any suggestions on getting the second layer off?

Not sure what you mean but if you got all the head bolts off and none broke then gently tap it up and it should pop off.

Waiting for answer.
Did you get my pm??
That should be helping you

well arrived in Charlotte about 2 hrs ago, very tired and going to bed early. But given only 67 hrs on the engine, i would definitely test the compression with another gauge before assuming the top end needs rebuilt. i just passed 100 hrs on both my 96 and 97 GSX's this year and have 150 on all. guys could his gasket issue be affecting compression? btw, checking compression cold is correct

low number on rear cylinder and water leaking from front
Anything is possible though

we're all tree shade mechanics trying to save a few nuts :)

Sorry! Yes I did. thank you. And yes it does help. As I'm sure you can tell by now I ask a ton of questions. I'll study up a little more on the manual. I'm going to call it quits for the night but I will get back at it tomorrow.

Sorry! Yes I did. thank you. And yes it does help. As I'm sure you can tell by now I ask a ton of questions. I'll study up a little more on the manual. I'm going to call it quits for the night but I will get back at it tomorrow.

did you get head off though??
Your almost there to peak inside.....

No its really stuck on there. I think its going to take some effort to get it off for whatever reason. I have the top cap off but not the second layer that covers up the pistons. I can't really figure out why its still stuck

Try wedging an old blunt screwdriver between the head and the cylinder, tap very gently you're dealing with aluminum. I suspect you have some corrosion and you just need to break it loose.

Lou

No its really stuck on there. I think its going to take some effort to get it off for whatever reason. I have the top cap off but not the second layer that covers up the pistons. I can't really figure out why its still stuck

yup #19 is where your at

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/seadooforums/Seadoo_oem/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=13&A=39&B=5

Do what Lou said with a thin flat blade. Should just pop when you break seal.

Now go do it and come back :). Its still early to call it a night

You don't even know how bad I want to keep going but everybody is in bed now and the ski is in the garage so I think I'd better wait :( Thank you sooo much for all of the help so far by the way. I have some pics but this computer wont upload them so I'll have to do it from a different computer tomorrow.

Oscar,

You know it's a lot easier to sit behind a computer and give advice than actually go out to the garage and do the work.

I've got my ski's done, just gotta drop the batteries in and head for the lake. I had a really strange problem with the GSX, turned out to be my own doing but she's ready now. I'll be on the lake first Saturday in April.

Lou

You don't even know how bad I want to keep going but everybody is in bed now and the ski is in the garage so I think I'd better wait :( Thank you sooo much for all of the help so far by the way. I have some pics but this computer wont upload them so I'll have to do it from a different computer tomorrow.

Or you can open photo bucket account and clip pictures. Much easier...
Okay we'll let you off this time but I better see pictures and an "AHA" tomorrow that its off.

Oscar,

You know it's a lot easier to sit behind a computer and give advice than actually go out to the garage and do the work.

I've got my ski's done, just gotta drop the batteries in and head for the lake. I had a really strange problem with the GSX, turned out to be my own doing but she's ready now. I'll be on the lake first Saturday in April.

Lou

Thats why I take my computer to the garage :)
I'm just about done with mine too. One of the BT mats on the xp didn't adhere too good. I then made a mess w/the contact cement and turned the bottom of mat gooey.
Sent pm to WCS to see if they will send me another piece :(

Hey David, just read up on all of this. It's not to bad of a job taking apart the top end. Did mine last summer Thx to these guys here for what ended up being only a starter issue. But learned a lot.

Tools - to add to what Lou said, I would also buy the shorter ones as well. There are a lot of hard small places to get to.
I took the whole top end apart with only the use of hex keys (don't recommend).

As for it the piece being stuck - try a mallet. It really shouldn't be that hard.

Then remove cylinder bolts (4 in each), exhaust bolts behind the carbs (a bunch of those ), vent line to each cylinder and then pull.

Gl - in good hands with these guys.

As long as we're spending your money, get one of these, it's one of the best tool investments I ever made.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=3/8"+mini+air+ratchet

Lou

That ratchet with the short ball ended metric allen sockets are SOOOO golden. That combo can get the OEM airbox off in 3mins.

I also recently acquired an IR brand impact "gun" and holy cow...I feel like a total idiot putting up with the harbor freight equivalents.

Also...if you dont have a li-ion impact driver...keep your eye out for a good deal. I've got the Ridgid setup and could not be happier. Just bought the trouble light that uses those batteries and its the best ever. Small enough to drop into the hull and it lasts about 4hours on a charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back