Engine compartment gets smoked up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I fixed up my rave valves today and started it with the hose... Well everything seems much better except one major thing I noticed. There is a solid stream of water coming out of the exhaust right where it connects to the engine block. it shoots straight back to right behind the battery. So I'm thinking I probably need to replace some gaskets or something. Any ideas?

Take a picture.
Hopefully cylinder isn't cracked from freezing??

Is it from the top riser(3 bolts and one nut) or from the exhaust port

Well I don't think its a cracked cylinder because it sees like its coming from the corner right where the exhaust connects onto the block... But it looks like there is also a gasket thats under the block? Hopefully that wouldn't be it. Is it a real major project to replace the exhaust gaskets? Looks pretty easy just by staring at it... Both gaskets are $13 on SBT's site so I think I'll order them and give it a try. And these exhaust gaskets seem ancient lol they are very flakey and I can even see/feel a little piece of something sticking out right in that corner. I'm thinking maybe its my split gasket? hopefully

Oscar makes a good point. I didn't even think about it because we've had such a mild winter here. Did you just purchase this ski? And was it winterized last fall?

Lou

I did just purchase it... but it was winterized when I bought it. Now I'm not exactly sure when it was winterized though. But it has been very mild here too so I hope thats not it. Never know though. I'll go see if I can get a good picture of it

Just for kicks take a look at the cylinder cases where the connect to the block. Does anything look bulged in that area, also can you see a black rubber gasket? If anything looks suspicious take a picture and post it.

Lou

Every time I read the subject I think of this....lolol

Cheech-and-chong-Up-In-Smoke.jpg

this was my pto cylinder

View attachment 11001

Its tight to remove 8 exhaust bolts to get to gasket :banghead:

To remove pipe take top 3 bolts and one nut off. Remove coupler to water box then tilt that end up(kinda like a J) then wiggle it out.

Haha that pic is funny... But anyway so I started it again but I couldn't seem to get a good picture. However I can see exactly where the water is coming from. Its coming from a small spot under the block where it attaches to another piece (that is white) and there is a gasket that is in between them. Well right where the water is coming from the gasket is torn and the little piece is dangling... I'm thinking this is a little more major and maybe I should just take it somewhere? Also there is no bulging and no signs of any obvious cracking or damage to the block.......

Nick - you never smoked up the inside of a car did you????

GTBAP - You can probably do it yourself...be patient and get a manual.
Are you in Pilots school now?

Yes I believe you hit the nail on the head. The gasket that seems to be ripped is NOT the one between the exhaust and the case, but rather the one at the bottom of the case. Does this seem likely? I'm a little nervous about taking the cylinder case apart. I wonder what price range I'm looking at to take it and have somebody else do it for me? And yea I have my pilots license but I'm working on my commercial ratings right now... pretty exciting!

Yes I believe you hit the nail on the head. The gasket that seems to be ripped is NOT the one between the exhaust and the case, but rather the one at the bottom of the case. Does this seem likely? I'm a little nervous about taking the cylinder case apart. I wonder what price range I'm looking at to take it and have somebody else do it for me? And yea I have my pilots license but I'm working on my commercial ratings right now... pretty exciting!

You don't have to take case apart but you will have to get cylinders off to get to base gasket.
One you get head off see if bolts holding cyl to case aren't torqued down

Its not a big deal but time consuming to get exhaust off cylinder to undo cylinder to case to replace base gasket :(

I would imagine at least 4 hrs at $65 to do it if not more......

Check compression first. If is low might as well do top end since it will be apart :rolleyes:

It looks like this might get a little involved so not being too personal. What's your first name?

Also before you start dismantling, hook the battery back up and see how many hours are on the ski. Just put the lanyard on the post it should show up on the digital read out.

Lou

My name is David. And there are 68.9 hours on her... Before I jump in head first I will need to go pick up some new tools. For starters I don't have a torquing tool so that could be a problem lol and I could use a new set of sockets for my wrench. Also I can't find my compression test kit :banghead: Any ideas before I head to the store?

David,

68.9 hours is nothing, it's like a new ski, I just wanted to see if the ski was worth putting money into, it definitely is. My 96GSX has 107hrs. and I thought it was low.

Go to harbor freight, they should have everything you need. If you're not a professional mechanic their tools are good enough, pretty much what I use.

Get a set of these, you'll find them invaluable, especially removing the carbs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-38-metric-long-ball-head-hex-socket-set-67888.html

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep you can call me dave. and ok there is a harbor freight near here, I will go there. btw Which bolts have to be torqued properly? just the head bolts or all of them?

Dave, Check my previous post I added an item to the tool list.

Pretty much everything should be torqued, head bolts, and exhaust bolts especially. You need to download a manual for the specs.

Lou

You can go to discount for compression tester for 25 bucks.

invest in good air compressor and attachments as it will make taking several bolts out easier VS ratchets.

There are new battery powered ratchets but more$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back