96 GTX Won’t Run

Dill

Looking for little help before I try to find a shop in my area that still work on 2strokes. This has been a project I’ve been working on for the past couple years of getting my families old jet ski running again. Bought a rebuilt 787 for it and can’t get it to run. Has spark, fuel and voltage isn’t a problem. Was possibly thinking at this point that the rotary valve is a little off causing it not to run. Open to any suggestions anyone has.

Attachments

• IMG_2968.jpeg
    IMG_2968.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Is the ski not even trying to start? Does it backfire? Gotta pull the carbs to check them out so... when you pull the carbs, remove the rotary valve cover and check the timing. If the timing is off you'll likely be blowing oil into the intake. If all is well there, have a look at the carbs.

Shoot some starting fluid in the intake and see if the engine fires. I remember the time I painted a set of carbs and I taped off the air holes on the diaphragm covers. I painted everything black and did a really good job too. Couldn't even see the tape at all. ski wouldn't start. I got out the starting fluid and boom cranked right up and killed right away. After about 5 times I went... Hmmmmmm.... got in there and removed the tape and Shazzam.... fired right on up. :D

Back