Watching your iPad on the TV Screen advice.

Coastiejoe

I use my iPad all the time and would like to watch the video on my TV.

I know all I need is a basic Lightning Digital AV Adapter. In my case, I am using an iPad 4 which is the small 8-pin plug (Lightening).

I have found many, but found some consistent complaints as well. Such as, on some apps I can hear it but can't see it, every now and then the screen goes to black and I have to restart it (What the "it" it I do not know. The iPad or the movie for example).

So,, my question to you is, who is doing this and have you had good success with it? If so, what cables or suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance...

Well i do know that unless you have purchased the media ( movie, etc ) from apple itunes then the picture will only be square, it will not take up the whole screen of your tv.

You will see everything in the older fashioned tv look 4:3 aspect ratio when using ipad.

But if you use a laptop with the proper adapter it will show up full screen, just like hooking up a larger monitor to your laptop, ( tv will be that bigger monitor for example )

Rob

Oh and I would go with an apple branded product in this scenario, I don't always with adapters and whatnot but the only decent reviews are from the apple brand lightning digital AV adapter.

Rob

I'm an android guy so not sure about the iPad but with my Note 4 I cast my screen to my Chromecast which plugs into an HDMI port on my TV. Instant connect great signal and no lag at all.

I'm an android guy so not sure about the iPad but with my Note 4 I cast my screen to my Chromecast which plugs into an HDMI port on my TV. Instant connect great signal and no lag at all.

Apple TV allows to send the iPad/iPhone display to the TV. But with videos and live TV there is a Lag... For that reason, I am looking for a cable to eliminate the lag and or buffering..

I was going to go with a cable from my computer as anything on my iPad and I can do on my computer. Just thought it would be nice to have as I travel all the time. The TV's hotels would easily accept my iPad input.

But,,, I may just go with a computer adapter and make this easier in the big picture...

Ama zon.com is that the one you looked at before? Apple has everything so proprietary that components like this have trouble functioning properly.. one of the reasons I like android so much.

X100

We do the same thing with all of our tablets, phones, and laptop (all Samsung devices) and also use Chromecast. You can get Chromecast and use it with an iPad.

Well i do know that unless you have purchased the media ( movie, etc ) from apple itunes then the picture will only be square, it will not take up the whole screen of your tv.

You will see everything in the older fashioned tv look 4:3 aspect ratio when using ipad.

But if you use a laptop with the proper adapter it will show up full screen, just like hooking up a larger monitor to your laptop, ( tv will be that bigger monitor for example )

Rob
That's just lame that they do that.

I will be the fist to admit,,, Apple is love hate...

They do like (read: MAKE) you buy and use their products for sure...

I have good work arounds for many things, but this one will likely require their cables and simply use my computer instead..

Thanks for the advice and links,,,

Get an apple tv they are $69 bucks and for sharing anything to your tv you can't beat it works much smoother for apple devices to tv then just about anything.

Get an apple tv they are $69 bucks and for sharing anything to your tv you can't beat it works much smoother for apple devices to tv then just about anything.

I have Apple TV. But when watching videos from my iPad, it stops and buffers. This is the reason I am looking for a better answer...

Unless you have some specific advice as to a setting or something?

I have Apple TV. But when watching videos from my iPad, it stops and buffers. This is the reason I am looking for a better answer...

Unless you have some specific advice as to a setting or something?

If your getting buffering from an iPad to an apple tv then your router is most likely at fault. Your not using public internet or anything when sharing from device to device. So a decent router will go along way. I have this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-x6-ac3200-tri-band-wi-fi-router-r8000-black/7201035.p?id=1219257124935&skuId=7201035 and its amazing but is deff over kill for many it has a smaller brother that I know is also extremely good http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-bundle-r7000-nighthawk-ac1900-smart-wi-fi-router-a6100-100pas-802-11ac-wifi-mini-usb-adap/1314010259.p?id=mp1314010259&skuId=1314010259

don't buy either from best buy tho go amazon and same some money

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the router that is supplied by Comcast. But I am willing to buy one if it would solve the issue. I can return theirs and save $8 to $10 a month..

You have to pay monthly for their router? God, Comcast is just like Apple. Glad I threw them out years ago.

Hahahaha ok well at the chance of getting in trouble.... i might happen to be an emp there.... if thats what your using, its most likely your problem... IF you swap out theirs you will need to either get a cable modem and router like i showed u or get a "gateway" modem/router combo kinda like what they gave ya. ARRIS SURFboard SBG6782AC DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi AC1750 Router - Retail Packaging - White List
Price: $164.99 & FREE Shipping. Thats from amazon, we have many people using these and don't seem to have many issues. I personally like having the router and modem separate but thats my personal pref tho.. even this is often a little more expensive $65-80 for modem and $150-250 for a really good router. and like u said saves ya 10 bucks a month in rental charges

Last edited by a moderator:
In your opinion, is the combo unit or the two-piece option a better way to go?
I like having the 2 separate units, if one goes bad then only have to replace one not both plus depending what ur spending you can get a much better router as a stand alone then you will get as a combo deal... see one u have now.....

ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White or ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White for a stand alone modem IF you have comcast blast the 150mbps service get the second if you have the performance the 25mbps get the 1st one and same some money

so one thing I didnt think to ask do you have their CDV aka comcast telephone? If so you won't be able to get rid of their modem entirely as you would need it for the phone. You could still get the stuff we talked about and use it for the internet side but would still have to keep rental for phone. IF you don't then forget this post :p

I have no home phone lines haven't in Omer 20 yrs now,,, Thank you for your guidance. I'll order what I need later today.

Back