Walmart discontinuing Quicksilver API-TC oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gtx I sold had over 200 with more than half of that running mystik

Long live the 2 stroke Seadoo!

The Gtx I sold had over 200 with more than half of that running mystik

Long live the 2 stroke Seadoo!

See that's the thing, so many oil threads all with scant detail. I think that's great if it works for you, and my 951 had TCW-3 in it when I brought it home, no damage found (aside from stuck RAVES, ironically that's probably what saved it), but there's never enough supporting data to make me confident enough to endorse (or try) it.

Boats come and go out of here and they all get the oil specified by manufacturer, these later 2-strokes are tight motors (have you seen the price of an Evinrude 220 powerhead? :O) running thin ratios the old smoky motors all tried and failed to accomplish, billions of dollars were lost trying to run 100/1 back in the 70's to acknowledge oil technologies just weren't up to snuff or maybe owners got into the habit of mixing or dumping whatever off the shelf junk oil they had left over in their garage in those oil tanks?

No offense but lacking comprehensive empirical data, you can be confident lose claims go right out the other ear over here.

just went to walmart yesterday, quicksilver pwc is still on shelves at 38 something, with bunches of bottles, doesn't look like they are discontinuing them in the good ole sunshine state

Looks like it is discontinued. The non synthetic version at least.... $21 per gallon if it is still in your store. They are still carrying the synthetic at $38 per gallon I have about 8 gallons... A GREAT buy.

On a side note, when I drove an hour to one of the stores, they could not find it even though it was showing in stock. When I complained to the manager about my two hour drive total for nothing, he offered to sell me the $38 synthetic PWC oil at the $21 price for the discontinued PWC non synthetic.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mercury-Quicksilver-PWC-2-Cycle-Oil/17165293

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up the last 6 gals ($21ea) at my Walmart today. Before they discontinued it, I paid $28/gal. Looks like I'll be paying even more in the future ($38/gal) :facepalm: . Perhaps its time to go back to oil injection.

Picked up another 6 gallons... Took me 5 stores and had 3 orders cancelled before I found 2 stores that actually had them in stock...

Why not just try mystik from academy for 24$ a gallon

It is $24.99 at academy For $4 more per gallon, that is like getting a free gallon with my purchase of 6... I have a company car that I do not pay for fuel on personal use for so not a big issue to drive a little to get it!

I understand that. But in all serious I think some of y'all should give the mystik a shot. I've been running it a while now, my raves never come out gummy or really nasty and I've had 0 complaints about it. And at 19-24$ per gallon always in stock at academy, it's not too bad

It is $24.99 at academy For $4 more per gallon, that is like getting a free gallon with my purchase of 6... I have a company car that I do not pay for fuel on personal use for so not a big issue to drive a little to get it!

At the academy here it fluctuates from 19.99-24.99

I understand that. But in all serious I think some of y'all should give the mystik a shot. I've been running it a while now, my raves never come out gummy or really nasty and I've had 0 complaints about it. And at 19-24$ per gallon always in stock at academy, it's not too bad

I'll keep the Mystic in mind for sure.

As far as the discontinued Quicksilver oil goes, I went to my other Walmart today. Its one of those old fashioned small, non-Super Walmart stores. You know, one that actually closes at night! They had five 1 quart bottles for $3/qt. They had one last gallon bottle for $10 :o ! Needless to say I left the store with all of those!

I'll keep the Mystic in mind for sure.

As far as the discontinued Quicksilver oil goes, I went to my other Walmart today. Its one of those old fashioned small, non-Super Walmart stores. You know, one that actually closes at night! They had five 1 quart bottles for $3/qt. They had one last gallon bottle for $10 :o ! Needless to say I left the store with all of those!

AWESOME! And I thought I was getting the best deal....

Awesome information, wish I had known about Mystic before last week.
I am new to the scene and researched oil before just buying any oil as the guy told me I could use that I purchased units from.
I found the Walmart PWC to be one that met the specs.
Off to Walmart I go, after three stores I finally found the oil and was told it was being discontinued at that store. (None of the stores I visited are close to water, so maybe no need for them to stock). The clerk did tell me I could order online and have shipped to any Walmart store when I needed more.
I am going to see if my local Academy stocks Mystic. If they do, I will probably return the PWC (if I can find the receipt) and support Academy.

Port Clinton Ohio Walmart has 3 gallons and 1 quart left as of this morning...

Awesome information, wish I had known about Mystic before last week.
I am new to the scene and researched oil before just buying any oil as the guy told me I could use that I purchased units from.
I found the Walmart PWC to be one that met the specs.
Off to Walmart I go, after three stores I finally found the oil and was told it was being discontinued at that store. (None of the stores I visited are close to water, so maybe no need for them to stock). The clerk did tell me I could order online and have shipped to any Walmart store when I needed more.
I am going to see if my local Academy stocks Mystic. If they do, I will probably return the PWC (if I can find the receipt) and support Academy.

I doubt you will be able to order it on line and have it delivered to the store. I could not get any to my local walmart before they discontinued. Also, the stores right on Lake Erie are also stopping to carry it so I believe this will be done at all stores. I do not think that there is much of a market for them to carry this specialized oil for skis that are no longer produced... If you cannot get a whole bunch, I would switch to something you can still purchase. You should not mix different brands of oil and the correct way to switch brands is to do a full drain of tank and all lines before you switch... That is part of the reason why I now have 15 gallons... I have done that clean out twice so far and trying to avoid a 3rd time as well as the price could not be beat!

I doubt you will be able to order it on line and have it delivered to the store. I could not get any to my local walmart before they discontinued. Also, the stores right on Lake Erie are also stopping to carry it so I believe this will be done at all stores. I do not think that there is much of a market for them to carry this specialized oil for skis that are no longer produced... If you cannot get a whole bunch, I would switch to something you can still purchase. You should not mix different brands of oil and the correct way to switch brands is to do a full drain of tank and all lines before you switch... That is part of the reason why I now have 15 gallons... I have done that clean out twice so far and trying to avoid a 3rd time as well as the price could not be beat!

Thanks for the info.. If you can't find near the lakes, I will probably never get it here. Looks like a trip to Academy to check out the Mystic.

Those in/near Michigan can contact Kamp Oil in Grand Rapids for Mystic. Our sleds have been using it for countless years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found out that Academy in Warner Robins and Macon, Ga. carry the Mystik JT-4.
Thanks again for the great info.

Im new to having seadoos, I picked up two this spring a 2001 LRV with 92hrs (ski looks brandnew, older owner, just barely rode it) and a 1996 GTX (hrs unknown, have to do the guage film fix). The LRV has had the oiler blocked off and running premix for years, he only mixed seadoo oil (xps2) with it. The 1996 GTX has the oiler still, but the owner says he always premixed anyways but he used the Pennzoil XLF oil and also filled the reserve up with that too.

I have been told by a repair person in the area that it would be ok to mix the pennzoil with both skis (premix) but to make sure that I used the seadoo oil in the resevoir so that it would oil the bottom end with the seadoo oil. Does that make sense? Im kinda confused with it... Ive read about the Quicksilver oil, and the mystic.. but the seadoo oil is very expensive as everyone says here, but its also hard to get unless i order it because theres no shops for about 80 miles. I will get it if need be just to put in the resevoir but would it still be ok just to mix the pennzoil with the gas? I would really like to be able to just put one oil in the reservoir and the gas tank lol. Thanks for any help in advance.

Im new to having seadoos, I picked up two this spring a 2001 LRV with 92hrs (ski looks brandnew, older owner, just barely rode it) and a 1996 GTX (hrs unknown, have to do the guage film fix). The LRV has had the oiler blocked off and running premix for years, he only mixed seadoo oil (xps2) with it. The 1996 GTX has the oiler still, but the owner says he always premixed anyways but he used the Pennzoil XLF oil and also filled the reserve up with that too.

I have been told by a repair person in the area that it would be ok to mix the pennzoil with both skis (premix) but to make sure that I used the seadoo oil in the resevoir so that it would oil the bottom end with the seadoo oil. Does that make sense? Im kinda confused with it... Ive read about the Quicksilver oil, and the mystic.. but the seadoo oil is very expensive as everyone says here, but its also hard to get unless i order it because theres no shops for about 80 miles. I will get it if need be just to put in the resevoir but would it still be ok just to mix the pennzoil with the gas? I would really like to be able to just put one oil in the reservoir and the gas tank lol. Thanks for any help in advance.

I still cannot figure why anyone would go premix on the Seadoo brand. Maybe some other brands that have had issues with the oil system failing but Seadoo is pretty rock solid in my opinion. Not only will your carb internals not like the oil, you use way more oil going premix than you would with the oil pump. This is because the pump regulates the amount of oil as the rpm increases or decreases. Being that you have to keep the oil bath going for the RV valve, I would confirm the oil pump is working still and if it is, make sure it is all plumbed correctly and go back to using the oil system. Personally I cannot see spending $50 for a gallon of XPS oil when you can get the other compatible oils for half of that.

Thanks for that opinion, ill definitely take it into consideration. However, the situation at hand requires me to either purchase more seadoo oil or use the pennzoil to mix for both... OR to get another brand that would be better than the Pennzoil or seadoo oil or just as compatible.

Thanks for that opinion, ill definitely take it into consideration. However, the situation at hand requires me to either purchase more seadoo oil or use the pennzoil to mix for both... OR to get another brand that would be better than the Pennzoil or seadoo oil or just as compatible.

The penzoil is not the correct oil for your seadoo.. It is a TC-W3 which will not protect your rotary valve. You need an API-TC rated oil like the expensive Seadoo XPS or for half of the price, Mystik. Any oil you use must show the API-TC rating...

While we are on the subject of oil let me ask a question. We have a bunch of mosquitoes on the slough and I was wondering if it would hurt anything to add just a little in the gas, not as a measured premix, but just a little for insurance. My injection works great but we all know if it fails the engine seizes up quick. BTW just kidding about the skeeders. Thanks. :cheers:

The penzoil is not the correct oil for your seadoo.. It is a TC-W3 which will not protect your rotary valve. You need an API-TC rated oil like the expensive Seadoo XPS or for half of the price, Mystik. Any oil you use must show the API-TC rating...

Thank you for that information, that is why I posted it. I knew it said TC-w3 and I knew that wasnt right or at least what is called for. I have a quart of the quick silver PWC oil, but I have read some good things here about the Mystik JT oil here and I have an acedemy close by which carries the Mystik oil. Would it be sufficient to use in the resevoir to oil the lower end also? What would need to be done with the ski that still has the oiler? I suspect the resevoir is full of the pennzoil...

picked up the mystik for 24.99 a gallon today at acedemy. Bought a pump to get all the oil thats in the oil tank out, and then use the mystik jt-4 in the seadoo that is already premixed. Ill also get all oil out of the oil tank (pennzoil) and then replace it with mystik. Will it hurt that it still has gas premixed with the pennzoil or should i get all the gas out too...about 4 gallons left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back