Timing ? Rotary Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunster

Hello..

Spring will soon be here in Nova Scotia..
So I would like to get my 1999 sportster ready for the Water..

I only got to use the boat half of last summer..

It took me into the fall to figure out why my boat just quit cold turkey on the lake..

Its jumping its timing..I put my Valve at top dead center..put my rotary valve back on and put everything back togather
and she starts..when i increase the RPMs she stalls ..

Take everything apart again and put my Valve at top dead center and the rotary valve is where it shouldn't be..

So I put it back where it should be and started it up and Winterized it..(Last Fall)

Now.. can I fix this without tearing the top in apart by replacing the Rotary Valve or Rotary Shaft or both..?

Thanks!!

if the gear is stripped most likely there is metal fragments in the RV case and bearings. A job like this should be done on the bench and not in the boat.
I recommend removing the engine and getting the necc tools to pull the RV shaft , inspect and reinstall. if you find a lot of damage then you might as well look at the cranks seal for the RV.

if the gear is stripped most likely there is metal fragments in the RV case and bearings. A job like this should be done on the bench and not in the boat.
I recommend removing the engine and getting the necc tools to pull the RV shaft , inspect and reinstall. if you find a lot of damage then you might as well look at the cranks seal for the RV.

Thank you
shaun

Yes you can buy an assembled RV shaft from mostly anywhere..

Another possible issue (and one I ran into personally) Is that the RV shaft is a brass gear, the crank gear is hardened steel. I bought a 587 GTS that did not have the correct oil being used. The brass gear fused itself to the steel gear when it began to fail, and ultimately stripped out. All I am saying is that I would consider preparing for a crankshaft as well. With the fragments that Pale Rider mentioned, the crank seals for the RV cavity are likely compromised, solidifying the major consideration of replacing the crankshaft.

All in all you really need to pull the engine and the RV shaft, and go from there.

Thanks guys for your help..

Just another question..
How to I reinstall the RV Shaft?
Tap in back in with a mallet..?

Shaun

Thats how I did it... and I cant stress enough- GENTLY. If there is debris, I would highly recommend doing the rear bearing of the RV shaft. Thankfully I have access to the long reach puller that is needed, so it was simple. The reason I say this is because the oil cavity behind the bearing may be holding some of that debris and it would be very difficult to clean out.

A ball point pen, here's a video from SBT, the video has crappy resolution, but you can get an idea of how to set your timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULL5gfQs_UA

Lou

Thanks Lou

Yea .. I seen that Vid..

Im going to pick up .. Rotary Valve Shaft Complete ..

on ebay ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/SeaDoo-BRP-...ft_Parts&hash=item1c38797d5c&vxp=mtr#payCntId

I haven't taken the RV shaft out yet ..its so darn cold here still ..

But my guess .... the Gear is shot..

Which is why (I think) the timing keeps jumping every time i increase the RPMs

Last edited by a moderator:
This site contains eBay affiliate links for which Sea-Doo Forum may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back