Sea doo won’t start after carb rebuild

I have a 94 sea doo spi that I just bought, took it out to the river first time and it ran great no issues at all. Take it out again and all then it would still start just fine but when I would hit the gas it would go great for a couple seconds then bog down and die, will crank right back up every time. Rebuilt the carb thinking it had trash making it act like that and it now will not start and run.it will run pouring mixed gas into the carb until it runs out of that gas then will die and not start again. Has fresh fuel and lines flow just fine. Any help is appreciated!

When you rebuilt the carbs where did you buy the rebuild kit from? Was it genuine Mikuni? Did you clean the pilot jet and circuit well? Was the carb cleaner flowing through good? Did you check the pop off? Sounds like it’s not getting fuel, be interesting to see what would happen if you were to put fuel in the plug holes like you were while on the water and then gun it, to get past the 1/4 throttle.

When you rebuilt the carbs where did you buy the rebuild kit from? Was it genuine Mikuni? Did you clean the pilot jet and circuit well? Was the carb cleaner flowing through good? Did you check the pop off? Sounds like it’s not getting fuel, be interesting to see what would happen if you were to put fuel in the plug holes like you were while on the water and then gun it, to get past the 1/4 throttle.
The carb rebuild kit is from OSD, it’s a genuine mikuni carb as well as the kit, the carb is spotless inside, I did not check pop off. The other day I was able to push air through the reserve hose and get fuel up to it and it fired up but I did not gun it, I cut it off so I could get water running through it, once I got the water hooked up it cranked again, revved a few seconds then died again, didn’t seem to be any fuel in the line again. Tried that a couple more times and still couldn’t get it to keep fuel pulling up to it.

I wouldn’t bother with the garden hose, your only risking getting water in the engine if it does out and your fine to run it without the garden hose for 20 or 30 seconds. Well the OSD kits are what everyone uses, good kits. Did you set the high and low, more specifically the low speed screw to spec? What was your setting? Maybe try opening that screw a quarter turn? You could test the diaphragm in the fuel pump by putting 4 pounds of air into it, what is your compression at? Low compression can affect your fuel pump as it runs off the positive and negative pressures created by the engine. Maybe double check yourr RX fuel lines are routed correctly, verify your pulse line is hooked up, maybe take it off the carb, and crank the engine over while checking for pressure cat the end of the pulse hose. I’m almost sure it’s a fuel issue so maybe check out Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread, maybe you missed something

I wouldn’t bother with the garden hose, your only risking getting water in the engine if it does out and your fine to run it without the garden hose for 20 or 30 seconds. Well the OSD kits are what everyone uses, good kits. Did you set the high and low, more specifically the low speed screw to spec? What was your setting? Maybe try opening that screw a quarter turn? You could test the diaphragm in the fuel pump by putting 4 pounds of air into it, what is your compression at? Low compression can affect your fuel pump as it runs off the positive and negative pressures created by the engine. Maybe double check yourr RX fuel lines are routed correctly, verify your pulse line is hooked up, maybe take it off the carb, and crank the engine over while checking for pressure cat the end of the pulse hose. I’m almost sure it’s a fuel issue so maybe check out Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread, maybe you missed something
I set the screws pretty close to what they were when they came out, such as how many turns out they were before The rebuild, one was 2 rounds out and other was about a quarter turn out. I haven’t checked the compression but being how it was able to work before I find it had to believe it’s the issue I’m having but I do understand how it could be an issue I should check, I’ve checked fuel lines they seem to be where they should be as well as the pulse hose and it does have pressure while cranking. I believe it is a fuel issue also and rebuilding the carb I’ve watched videos and looked over the sheet that came with the kit so I am almost certain its back together how it should be. Just cannot pinpoint what’s causing it to have this issue now but it didn’t before taking the carb off. Maybe any other ways you know if I could prime the system better?

I set the screws pretty close to what they were when they came out, such as how many turns out they were before The rebuild, one was 2 rounds out and other was about a quarter turn out. I haven’t checked the compression but being how it was able to work before I find it had to believe it’s the issue I’m having but I do understand how it could be an issue I should check, I’ve checked fuel lines they seem to be where they should be as well as the pulse hose and it does have pressure while cranking. I believe it is a fuel issue also and rebuilding the carb I’ve watched videos and looked over the sheet that came with the kit so I am almost certain its back together how it should be. Just cannot pinpoint what’s causing it to have this issue now but it didn’t before taking the carb off. Maybe any other ways you know if I could prime the system better?
There is a way to prime the fuel system but I’ve never had to do it, always started right up after a carb rebuild. You’ve put gas in the plug holes and ran it so it had had plenty of opportunity to draw fuel in, your going to have too take steps to fix the fuel issue, did you clean the pilot circuit? Take the jets out? test for leaks with 8 pounds on the carb fuel supply fitting? test the fuel diaphragm? Maybe poke a hole in one of the grommets while installing the Mylar discs? If you got this issue only after rebuilding the carbs, then I would follow through some testing as something wasn’t done correctly. Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread which is available on here under his profile is better than any YouTube video, i would start there. Best of luck, big heat wave coming here, so hope you get it figured out

There is a way to prime the fuel system but I’ve never had to do it, always started right up after a carb rebuild. You’ve put gas in the plug holes and ran it so it had had plenty of opportunity to draw fuel in, your going to have too take steps to fix the fuel issue, did you clean the pilot circuit? Take the jets out? test for leaks with 8 pounds on the carb fuel supply fitting? test the fuel diaphragm? Maybe poke a hole in one of the grommets while installing the Mylar discs? If you got this issue only after rebuilding the carbs, then I would follow through some testing as something wasn’t done correctly. Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread which is available on here under his profile is better than any YouTube video, i would start there. Best of luck, big heat wave coming here, so hope you get it figured out
Yes all the jets came out of it and made sure they are spotless, and I also left out that when I first cleaned the carb instead of rebuilding it was when the no start issue started, it’s my first ski and I’ve never messed with carb like these so I assumed that it and trash in it causing it to not keep the bowl filled since it would run fine idling and for a few seconds of riding hard. I thought it was pulling the fuel out the bowl and wasn’t able to fill back up fast enough causing it to bog out. I did not know these carbs had their own fuel pump system like they do. So after just simply cleaning the carb without replacing any discs or diagrams it had the problem. I appreciate the help!

Yes all the jets came out of it and made sure they are spotless, and I also left out that when I first cleaned the carb instead of rebuilding it was when the no start issue started, it’s my first ski and I’ve never messed with carb like these so I assumed that it and trash in it causing it to not keep the bowl filled since it would run fine idling and for a few seconds of riding hard. I thought it was pulling the fuel out the bowl and wasn’t able to fill back up fast enough causing it to bog out. I did not know these carbs had their own fuel pump system like they do. So after just simply cleaning the carb without replacing any discs or diagrams it had the problem. I appreciate the help!
I’ve been told that simply cleaning them doesn’t work, I’m stubborn and cheap so I tried just cleaning them on 2 machines, no luck, I had to rebuild them, I think if you follow through Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread you will be back on the water before you know it. If you have any questions post here and someone will help. Good luck

Yes all the jets came out of it and made sure they are spotless, and I also left out that when I first cleaned the carb instead of rebuilding it was when the no start issue started, it’s my first ski and I’ve never messed with carb like these so I assumed that it and trash in it causing it to not keep the bowl filled since it would run fine idling and for a few seconds of riding hard. I thought it was pulling the fuel out the bowl and wasn’t able to fill back up fast enough causing it to bog out. I did not know these carbs had their own fuel pump system like they do. So after just simply cleaning the carb without replacing any discs or diagrams it had the problem. I appreciate the help
I’ve been told that simply cleaning them doesn’t work, I’m stubborn and cheap so I tried just cleaning them on 2 machines, no luck, I had to rebuild them, I think if you follow through Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread you will be back on the water before you know it. If you have any questions post here and someone will help. Good luck
i will definitely check that out and verify everything, thank you.

I just posted a very similar post on a 92 sp I’ll watch your post maybe we’ll both get back running
If you are still having issues getting yours to run, I was able to run a short clear hose to a container of premix that I run, crank it and it pulled the gas right to the carb and let it run for a few seconds, then I just hooked my main fuel line back up to the carb and it was able to crank and run, it’s a pain to start still and it will ride, but you should try this and see if it helps. Apparently these things just have to be primed right.

Back