Replace all gauges with new electronic display?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

markconfer

I am at the point of needing all the gauges on my 2006 Challenger 180 to be rebuilt and refreshed. All work but the housings are failing. Has anyone tried to replace the gauges with a single electronic display? The digital networking protocol NMEA2000 seems like it would allow all gauges to be consolidated into one display. Back up plan maybe replace analog gauges with newer digital pod?

In case anybody is interested I was able to go back to the instrument OEM Faria Beede and they will overhaul to new condition any instrument. I sent my gas gauge and it was returned in new condition cost $73.50 all in. There are no replacements available so this is a very attractive solution to anyone that is trying to keep one of these older seadoo going

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpeg
    IMG_2579.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2578.jpeg
    IMG_2578.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 16
I haven't replaced the gauges with an electronic display, I added a Garmin unit though. My understanding is that you need to keep the factory gauge cluster regardless. I bought the NEMA2000 module so I can monitor all data, get MPG info, etc. I also upgraded to a FUSION stereo head unit so I can control the whole audio system from the garmin as well. :)garmin.png

Last edited:
I haven't replaced the gauges with an electronic display, I added a Garmin unit though. My understanding is that you need to keep the factory gauge cluster regardless. I bought the NEMA2000 module so I can monitor all data, get MPG info, etc. I also upgraded to a FUSION stereo head unit so I can control the whole audio system from the garmin as well. :)View attachment 62806
I love the Garmin install! You just needed the NEMA2000 module? Got any pics of how you installed the Garmin and transducer?

It looks like he used the Yacht Devices J1939 converter. It seems they support the 4-Tec engine.

Engine Gateway for Volvo Penta and J1939 engines

I'm going to try this for my 2005 4-Tec SCIC and see what comes up for gauges. If you don't want to spend the that much for a Garmin MFD, Maretron has a 4" configurable N2K display, DSM410. Depending which boat you have you may not need to keep the gauges, I have the 05' Challenger 180 and the gauges are all analog, so they can go. Not sure which route I am going to go but I ordered the N2K adapter and will play around with it a bit first.

It looks like he used the Yacht Devices J1939 converter. It seems they support the 4-Tec engine.

Engine Gateway for Volvo Penta and J1939 engines

I'm going to try this for my 2005 4-Tec SCIC and see what comes up for gauges. If you don't want to spend the that much for a Garmin MFD, Maretron has a 4" configurable N2K display, DSM410. Depending which boat you have you may not need to keep the gauges, I have the 05' Challenger 180 and the gauges are all analog, so they can go. Not sure which route I am going to go but I ordered the N2K adapter and will play around with it a bit first.
I have an 06 Challenger and mine are analog as well, and half don’t work!

I have an 06 Challenger and mine are analog as well, and half don’t work!

Mine either. I just got the warnings working and verified the tach has a signal. The fuel gauge is the big one and the N2K converter doesn't fix that one. ...

I haven't replaced the gauges with an electronic display, I added a Garmin unit though. My understanding is that you need to keep the factory gauge cluster regardless. I bought the NEMA2000 module so I can monitor all data, get MPG info, etc. I also upgraded to a FUSION stereo head unit so I can control the whole audio system from the garmin as well. :)View attachment 62806
how do you connected to garmin ? i just installed garmin 95 on my challenger 230

Back