Pulling Tube Not working....

Travisgg

Ok pretty sure wear ring even though new last year and haven't driven much. 1996 Seadoo 787 GTX with 787 motor. Rips awesome just cant pull tube. Revs up trying to go but feels like it cant get traction. Take the tube off amd rips great. I think it was an oem wear ring last year can't remember. When I bought it it had an aftermarket solas prop on it not sure what kind.

Now my 94 GTX pulls the same tube no problem and it's got a 657 motor. Definitely has a way better whole shot than the 787.

Do the wear ring again?

I would start by measuring the clearance and see if it is within spec before you change the wear ring. Also how does the wear ring look and feel? Any signes of something getting sucked up in there? Also look at the impeller and see if there is any damage on it. But it sure does sound like a wear ring issue. I am just hesitant because you said it was replaced last year and does not sound like it was used much since.

You are either cavitating,
Are over propped
Have compression issues
I would also check that it is charging properly
Load test the battery
Change the plugs.

You are either cavitating,
Are over propped
Have compression issues
I would also check that it is charging properly
Load test the battery
Change the plugs.
Thanks man it definitely is running awesome no worries at all there just the hole shot it cavitates.

1000013789.jpg
Factory is 16/23. Solas is 16.5/23.5. Not sure if that makes much difference?

Attachments

• PXL_20240805_004525382.jpg
    PXL_20240805_004525382.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I don't think the aftermarket impeller is an issue. But that gap between the wear ring and impeller at the widest point is too much. I'm not sure what would cause that. If there is an issue with the pump or if it as simple as a bad wear ring. Hopefully a member with more experience can chime in.

Well technically that's still under the wear limit but yeah weird that is a little wide there compared to the other spots. Ill report back here in a bit, need to get it up to the lake to test it as I resealed up the pump, and pushed the bellows forward to add more pressure on the carbon seal.

Heres the solas site..... I interpret it as replacement for stock not modified..... I know nothing about props though other than reading that chart. 1996 Gtx 787

Impeller Finder

Yeah that’s true I didn’t

think about that
Yeah that's my next test for when I get out in the water as I put some extra pressure on the bo ot and it will press the carbon seal tighter I'll report back. Visually looks okay but we will see if this makes a difference. Other threads suggested testing the carbon seal this way by making the accordion boot/bellows tighter so it puts more pressure on the seal. We shall see excited to test it!

Yeah that's my next test for when I get out in the water as I put some extra pressure on the bo ot and it will press the carbon seal tighter I'll report back. Visually looks okay but we will see if this makes a difference. Other threads suggested testing the carbon seal this way by making the accordion boot/bellows tighter so it puts more pressure on the seal. We shall see excited to test it!
Alr cool hope it works

Make sure there are no air leaks between the pump housing and hull. The 96 GTX parts diagram doesn’t show the foam gasket that has been recommended to use. With a new wear ring, the impeller should be very tight to the wear ring all around when new. I wonder if your pump housing is damaged causing the wear ring and impeller not to interface properly, or allowing an air leak.
Does the engine rev without getting a lot of bite in the water with the tube (cavitation)? Or does it bog down like it needs more power (over pitched prop, compression)?

I still haven't been out to test it yet since my last message.... But yes it just did rev up cavitating when trying to pull the tube... If you're not pulling anything it spins/cavitates a little bit but takes off pretty quick after that. Really runs awesome all around just cavitates bad when you're trying to pull the tube. I did put a neoprene seal on it cuz it was recommended previously last year.

I'll report back after I tested out again hopefully it was just the carbon seal leaking. If not obviously I'll start looking into the pump 🤪

Finally got out today.... I think still about the same. Ill have to record it but you pin it.... revs up to 7000 perfect and holds for a couple seconds all while moving forward not too bad... then really hooks up and goes. Went side by side with my 657, and the 657 eats it on the hole shot then i pass by not long after lol. Again runs perfect just lousy hole shot and tube pulling issues. So new OEM ring??? See my ring video above. Ring still in spec but had a wider gap in one spot...1000014036.jpg

Finally got out today.... I think still about the same. Ill have to record it but you pin it.... revs up to 7000 perfect and holds for a couple seconds all while moving forward not too bad... then really hooks up and goes. Went side by side with my 657, and the 657 eats it on the hole shot then i pass by not long after lol. Again runs perfect just lousy hole shot and tube pulling issues. So new OEM ring??? See my ring video above. Ring still in spec but had a wider gap in one spot...View attachment 66475
Yeha I would do a where ring

With a good load like a tube, these can only process so much water so they will never get out of the hole without cavitating like a boat with a prop.
They can only be so good but new wear ring is never a bad idea.

So just picked up a WSM wear ring....seadoo didn't have OEM in stock. I put the impeller in the wear ring on the counter and it has the exact same /darn close impeller clearance as the old one. Old one didn't even have a scratch on it.

So....... Took some measurements of the impeller. Is it possible for the impeller to be a smidge too small? Not sure what an impeller should actually measure at.

Attachments

• PXL_20240823_023756076.jpg
    PXL_20240823_023756076.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240823_023751563.jpg
    PXL_20240823_023751563.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 2
Back