RESTO My Carbon Fiber X4's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting close to tearing into the yellow 96 that gets the 787. I've been assembling some parts for it and wanted to start showing them off. I got these billet mounts from Rhaas Products. The aluminum flywheel was old stock in a performance shop out west....Brand New! I want to use one of my R&D steering stems on it also.

Is that the stem I sold you?

Yes it is. It is the most purple of my three. The anodizing on the others has started to fade more.

I keep trying to picture the "look" of this thing. I want it to look awesome at first sight and be unique enough so it's signature to me. I like sunburst so orange is in order but I like brown with the yellow and don't want to give up the purple?!!? Of coarse my rails are black and sponsons are white (head bang on brick wall).

I'm sure open to ideas. Does somebody know which site lets you make a yellow X4 image and then look at different decals on it digitally? I think I remember one of the online sign shops having something like that.

Exotic signs used to allow you to change graphics colors.

About the anodize, if you can find a place that can do the purple they can de-anodize then anodized again. We've changed black anodize to clear and also clear to red when the plater messed up. Now you can de-anodize yourself, but if you don't get it right it will show. Most places have a lot charge for anodize. Not sure what they charge to strip anodize.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that but the exotic site is not working. I can keep moving on the mechanical stuff I guess. It's not a bad looking ski the way sits and I can always re-badge it later. I think all my builds are just gonna end up multi-color, I just hope it works well together.

That's why I said I don't need a great looking set I was thinking of either powder coating them or having them hydro dipped.

I broke out a pair of cylinders I took off an old race ski. They need a lot of cleaning up but I want to use them because someone has done a little porting and polishing on them. I thought the pistons were too sloppy in the holes so I broke out my 81.91 pistons to get the clearance right. Then I realized that they were Wiseco pistons and they need more room because they're forged. They are lighter as well so that stays with the theme.

I left the new RAD aluminum flywheel new and went with this purple Jetinetics. I have a brand new pickup bracket with the post 97 wings on it for insurance(got towed home about 10 miles by a Yamaha once from the famous and dreaded broken bracket). I have a lightweight pto for the back end coming from Jess(@99spxxx). It won't be the first or last Westside Powersports

I got in a Slippery brand cover that slipped through on Ebay. These are super heavy duty and they work on my X4's with aftermarket steering systems since the OEM ones won't.

Really excited to see this come together. Keep up the good work Matt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am excited to see this carb fiber xp back on the water! Heck Id drive down to Florida to see this thing run

Thanks for the support. I'm looking forward to it myself.

I put my Buckshot head on today that someone had previously painted. I would have never painted over that pretty billet purple ut since the last guy did it frees me up to do it again without guilt.

I used the OEM non caged wrist pin bearings of coarse

Loving the build Matt! I want to bead blast that engine to rid the corrosion so you can lay down a nice monochromatic color. Then send that head out and have it de-ano'd and re-ano'd make it look like 1996 under that seat again. I would love to see a period correct performance build that looks showroom fresh inside and out.

And for powder coating the vintage speed parts--please don't. That just ruins the look in my opinion. For what you will spend to have them powdered it would cost the same to have them de-ano'd and re-ano'd and they would look so much better. Even if that was a different color.

Thanks guys. I wouldn't rule out the bead blasting. Maybe not on this round but I do have a cabinet new in the box. I found a spot where someone had filled in part of the head with epoxy. It looks sound and should hold the water pressure fine but I'll stick with the paint with a clear conscious.

It's more important to me that the the ski runs perfectly and beyond what other pump gas 787's can. I don't know if I'll ever overcome the multi-color look cause I'll keep bolting on different stuff until I get the best result. Inevitably there will be a version 2.0 before it's really done as I think of how it could be better.

Yesterday I took a cleaner pair of ported cylinders to the local machinist with my new Wiseco pistons.They are 1.5 over which is too far really but I'm just thinking about power. That will make a 782 810CC! (I think). I scored another rebuilt crank and counter balancer on Ebay so I'll put together a second engine. That way I can choose and swap or whatever.

I wish they had not of removed the ride plate. There are extra holes in a couple places where a bolt stripped or broke and they decided to "fix" it that way. They also ate into the surface that the pump mounts to. I don't know what the meaning of that work was but it seems there is plenty of meat left to seal a pump on it after I get it sealed to the hull again.

This bolt was drilled to get the plate off, there are two others broken flush

And there is no way that there is good news for me under this "grate must have gotten ripped off" silicone job.

It looks like more work than I was expecting, get everything cleaned up and see what you are working with. The broken bolts should be removed, I have had good luck with drilling out the center of broken bolts and collapsing the remaining perimeter and removing with a pick. It is time consuming but worth it, thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I sold the hood off it and the "T" tank is broken so I took the UMI off it and put it for sale. Luckily the plate from the R&D steering stem shares the same bolt holes, I just have to enlarge the center hole a bit toward the top.

This is gonna allow me to flip this and get the access I need to do my best job on the underside. It's not my cup of tea but I'll take it to a real glass guy if I get in over my head.

Wowser! Had one these. ATM hull. S glass. Engine set back 2 inches. Uses shorter 587 driveline. Very wicked unpredicatable violent handling. Best rec boat you will ride.. 312lbs said,and done.

Thanks for the input guys. I hope this thing handles nice when I get it going. I know it did 64mph last year so it can't be too bad. I have a lot of cool sponsons and trim tabs to try if I don't like the way it feels. I gotta flip it and get that ride plate right.

Thanks Nick for the carbon X4 tip. Wayne in NY wants it and that's great cause I've got plenty. I have to make all these projects I've taken on reliable runners.

Still some more "custom" problems. I go to pull the tank out today and It's not coming out......not in one piece at least. I pulled the Aluminum strap with the front mount on it and it was just not gonna happen. They must have stuck the T tank in there before they fused the top and bottom together.

My trusty Roto-Zip made short work of it but now I want to find as large a tank that will fit through an X4 hood.

Looks like they missed with the first sponson attempt. You can see three holes with silicone in them above this sponson.

And as long as we are talking about three extra holes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back