Fun Fact of The Day

Ford, who made the first pick-up trucks, shipped them to dealers in crates that the new owners had to assemble using the crates as the beds of the trucks.
The new owners had to go to the dealers to get them, thus they had to "pick-up" the trucks.

perfectly timed pic:thumbsup:

Attachments

• perfectly-timed-photos-enpundit-25.jpg
    perfectly-timed-photos-enpundit-25.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 38
A lot of people have their own ideas of what a flavor a mystery dum dum is, it's actually the last half of the flavor they were making mixed with the next half of the flavor they are going to make. Instead of stopping production and cleaning out the machine they mix the two together and sell the by product. Pretty ingenious.

A lot of people have their own ideas of what a flavor a mystery dum dum is, it's actually the last half of the flavor they were making mixed with the next half of the flavor they are going to make. Instead of stopping production and cleaning out the machine they mix the two together and sell the by product. Pretty ingenious.

Is it Spring yet?

I'm pretty sure there must be a Seadoo around here somewhere.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 29
In my college physics class , we were talking about antifreeze, different mixtures, and freezing and boiling tempertures. Most people do a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water. With this mixture, it will freeze at -34*F, and boil at 227*F. If you pressurize it, the boiling temp increases. I believe on our cars, the mixture is under about 15 or 16 pounds of pressure. This raises the boiling temp to 262 to 264*F. That's overheated for our cars. If you do a 68% antifreeze, 32% water mixture, the freezing temp is lowered to -90*F, and boiling temp is almost 300*F when pressurized to 15lbs. 241*F not pressurized. However, antifreeze all by itself with no water added will boil at 320*F, but will freeze at only -8*F. So, never pour straight antifreeze in your car, especially if you live way up north where it gets that cold in the winter. Still, the best antifreeze mixture for most areas of the planet is 50/50. Water does cool better than straight antifreeze. So, to cool your engine off faster, you need more water. I'm pretty sure, that straight antifreeze doesn't expand like water, but I'm not totally sure. Water is one of only a few substances known to man that expands when it freezes. Anyways, I don't know if anybody cares. I just thought that this stuff was kind of interesting. If anybody is interested, I can scan my chart that shows the freezing and boiling tempratures for different mixtures and pressures.

sooooo .... straight antifreeze ??? not real good

In my college physics class , we were talking about antifreeze, different mixtures, and freezing and boiling tempertures. Most people do a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water. With this mixture, it will freeze at -34*F, and boil at 227*F. If you pressurize it, the boiling temp increases. I believe on our cars, the mixture is under about 15 or 16 pounds of pressure. This raises the boiling temp to 262 to 264*F. That's overheated for our cars. If you do a 68% antifreeze, 32% water mixture, the freezing temp is lowered to -90*F, and boiling temp is almost 300*F when pressurized to 15lbs. 241*F not pressurized. However, antifreeze all by itself with no water added will boil at 320*F, but will freeze at only -8*F. So, never pour straight antifreeze in your car, especially if you live way up north where it gets that cold in the winter. Still, the best antifreeze mixture for most areas of the planet is 50/50. Water does cool better than straight antifreeze. So, to cool your engine off faster, you need more water. I'm pretty sure, that straight antifreeze doesn't expand like water, but I'm not totally sure. Water is one of only a few substances known to man that expands when it freezes. Anyways, I don't know if anybody cares. I just thought that this stuff was kind of interesting. If anybody is interested, I can scan my chart that shows the freezing and boiling tempratures for different mixtures and pressures.

The antifreeze for antifreeze is water.

"It's better to shut up and let people think you're dumb, then open your mouth and prove them right"

I found this on the internet:

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

-Albert Einstein

Definition of insanity;
Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

Sent using Tapatalk

In cars/trucks this is very important. Why??? As you noted the percentages change the boiling points. As it is a closed loop system under pressure that also changes he boiling points. Vehicles with air conditioning have a condenser that is designed to operate in such a way that the freon (generic term) will "condense" approximately 1/4 to 1/2 way through the condenser. When we change the percentage of antifreeze to water it will move the location that the freon condenses. If we change it too much, it will allow the freon when in a liquid state to enter the A/C compressor and destroy it as it is not designed to pump liquids.

Also, with todays vehicles the temperature are read at various points for many reasons. If we change the temperate by changing the mixture it screws with the ECM (brain) which will affect your gas mileage...

Neat, it even looks like a Jeep. Hey Jake, check out the Florida classifieds thread, Art Vandeley lives!!!!!

Lou

Back