Fun Fact of The Day

The SDB MIA???

Just sitting here reading the morning posts and it suddenly struck me that I didn't see a single post from the SDB. This is a bit concerning as the SDB has a personal goal of posting at least one comment on every thread. Should we call 911 or as they say down there in Florida Nueve, Uno, Uno ?? Can somebody call Ole Wallstreet to go check on SDB?:willy_nilly:

thanks for looking out for me. I was actually painting my boat trailer over the weekend after somebody tried to steal it back in April with the boat on it. Luckily he didn't see the heavy chain I had wrapped around the wheel and frame but it made a mess of my fender. I bumped it out, primed and then painted it with OEM paint from Eagle trailer comp. I was just finishing up today before work......
So no need to send John to check....beside it's a long ways from Fl to MI

thanks for looking out for me. I was actually painting my boat trailer over the weekend after somebody tried to steal it back in April with the boat on it. Luckily he didn't see the heavy chain I had wrapped around the wheel and frame but it made a mess of my fender. I bumped it out, primed and then painted it with OEM paint from Eagle trailer comp. I was just finishing up today before work......
So no need to send John to check....beside it's a long ways from Fl to MI

Glad to hear, do a compression test and post pics when done painting

a good fact is checking drain plugs -- i have lived in fla over 30 yrs and had numerous boats, and never a drain plug issue -- here is a first for me though .......... when i hook up to the truck, i always, hook up lights, safety chains, check tie downs and put drain plugs in (always), then before i back into water, i always take off tie downs, and recheck drain plugs (always), did all this saturday am, drove down to island break of day, (like 3 miles) and took a hr or so walk down beach, came back and was going to go for a ride, found water in hull, half way to top of battery -- left side drain plug loose, just dangling in hole , bailed it all out, ran it bailers taking most out, ran back to truck and put on trailer to finish draining it -- was puzzled, went back to island, was fine all day .....

went back out monday, was fine all day, everything is ok from all the water -- (dielectric grease saved the day) anyways, looked at everything real close, and found there is the small black o-ring missing on left drain plug -- this i believe made it come loose , (guess from vibrations) ... ordered 2 new ones -- has anyone ever had this issue ???? i never ever really looked at a drain plug that close before,and never really knew that there was an o-ring on it, and guess this was the issue with it ... soooo check them plugs out ....

a good fact is checking drain plugs -- i have lived in fla over 30 yrs and had numerous boats, and never a drain plug issue -- here is a first for me though .......... when i hook up to the truck, i always, hook up lights, safety chains, check tie downs and put drain plugs in (always), then before i back into water, i always take off tie downs, and recheck drain plugs (always), did all this saturday am, drove down to island break of day, (like 3 miles) and took a hr or so walk down beach, came back and was going to go for a ride, found water in hull, half way to top of battery -- left side drain plug loose, just dangling in hole , bailed it all out, ran it bailers taking most out, ran back to truck and put on trailer to finish draining it -- was puzzled, went back to island, was fine all day .....

went back out monday, was fine all day, everything is ok from all the water -- (dielectric grease saved the day) anyways, looked at everything real close, and found there is the small black o-ring missing on left drain plug -- this i believe made it come loose , (guess from vibrations) ... ordered 2 new ones -- has anyone ever had this issue ???? i never ever really looked at a drain plug that close before,and never really knew that there was an o-ring on it, and guess this was the issue with it ... soooo check them plugs out ....

It has never happened to me, but I know of others that have either over tightened the plug or somehow cut it and the plug then leaked.
I am pretty anal about my toys, I have found just SNUG is plenty good enough. I have been on the water for many hours and have no water or such a small amount it meant nothing. I doubt i have ever had more than a cup of water in my hull.

Hey Griz,

I too have a routine I go through when I take the SeaDoo's to the lake, I check the drain plugs when I take them out of the garage, check again when I arrive at the lake, but this year I have left them out twice. I don't think in the years I have been riding I have ever left the drain plugs out. Fortunately I have bilge pumps in my ski's, they really saved my ass this year.

Anyway, oh I forgot what I was going to say, now I remember. Maybe I should contact Doc Honda and get him to increase my dose of aerocept. What do y'all think?

Lou

Griz, that was no fun fact of the day, that was a great TIP of the day.
Thanks for sharing your unexpected experience with us.

ski-Doo

Just announced:

"BRP PRODUCES 3 MILLIONTH SKI-DOO SLED
54 years after the Ski-Doo snowmobile was born in 1959, we produced our 3 millionth Ski-Doo on August 29. The milestone sled was a 2014 Summit X with E-TEC 800R engine destined for a European customer. This is an incredible achievement and we need to thank you, our loyal owners, for making it possible."

There is that pesky E-Tec 800 motor again......wish they would put it in a PWC

I put out the flag today, guess how many flags I saw in our neighborhood including mine? You guessed it one!!!!! How soon we forget...

Lou

I put out the flag today, guess how many flags I saw in our neighborhood including mine? You guessed it one!!!!! How soon we forget...

Lou

that's a shame, especially with how divided the country is these days. There was an email going around reminding people to hang a flag today. We are in Hilton Head, so that was my flag. I never thought I would go to the ocean and say it's too hot, but it has been too damn hot here to really do anything. Been watching video of 9/11 on the History channel the past couple hours. They should play this over and over on prime time TV instead of all those reality crap shows and get this country united again as it was in the days immediately after 9/11.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's a shame, especially with how divided the country is these days. There was an email going around reminding people to hang a flag today. We are in Hilton Head, so that was my flag. I never thought I would go to the ocean and say it's too hot, but it has been too damn hot here to really do anything. Been watching video of 9/11 on the History channel the past couple hours. They should play this over and over on prime time TV instead of all those reality crap shows and get this country united again as it was in the days immediately after 9/11.

Amen to that. My flag is flying 24/7 in the Spring thru the Fall....except in really bad weather. Actually we just bought a new one a few months ago.

Griz, that was no fun fact of the day, that was a great TIP of the day.
Thanks for sharing your unexpected experience with us.

OK a drain plug fun fact. I did a 45 mile ride with Doc a few weeks ago, I rode his XP. We pulled the skis out afterwards and the drain plug on the XP is not on the back of the ski, you kind of have to reach your hand in a 3" gap in the hull to get to it. I couldn't get a good hold on it and unscrew it. Tony unscrewed it and said "He just had to move my purse out of the way", LOL :)

Amen to that. My flag is flying 24/7 in the Spring thru the Fall....except in really bad weather. Actually we just bought a new one a few months ago.

You better have a light on it at night time! And please tell me you bought one that was made in America.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

You better have a light on it at night time! And please tell me you bought one that was made in America.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I do have a low voltage spot light on it. American made I can't remember, I threw away the wrapper already.

Some Pittsburghers cited for parking in driveways

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Some Pittsburghers are being ticketed or warned not to park in their own driveways under an obscure ordinance that requires them to pay $225 for a permit if they wish to park within 30 feet of a street.

Some residents have complained about the tickets and warnings, which are issued by the city's Bureau of Building Inspection.

The agency is caught in the middle, contend John Jennings, its acting chief.

The bureau doesn't issue tickets unless residents complain and, often, those complaints aren't prompted by people who park in driveways but by those who create cement or gravel parking pads in front of their homes.

Those pads are often closer than 30 feet to the street, dug out of people's front yards, and used to park larger commercial vehicles, which some residents consider eyesores.

"That is not the neighborhood we want," said Steven Hawkins, a member of the Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition. The nonprofit neighborhood group opposes parking pads.

But City Councilman Corey O'Connor and Councilwoman Theresa Kail-Smith are hoping to change the seldom-enforced, little-known ordinance to prevent people from being ticketed for parking in their own driveways.

Eileen Freeman, 45, said she and her husband parked in their driveway for 18 years before they were warned about a possible fine. The couple can't park far enough into their driveway to be 30 feet from the street because the space between their house and the neighbor's is too narrow at that point.

Instead, the Freedmans are parking on the street, taking up space someone might otherwise want to use to patronize nearby businesses, she said.

"It's ridiculous and it doesn't make our city look very smart," Freedman said.

Associated Press

I do have a low voltage spot light on it. American made I can't remember, I threw away the wrapper already.

Thanks you sir for the light, but there is nothing worse than an American flag made in China. I'd rather see the flag in the rain and in the dark before a tag reading Made in China on it or on the packaging. An american flag made anywhere but HERE should be outlawed. My father flies his all the time, with his Marine Corp flag proudly below the Stars and Stripes.

:patriot:

Thanks you sir for the light, but there is nothing worse than an American flag made in China. I'd rather see the flag in the rain and in the dark before a tag reading Made in China on it or on the packaging. An american flag made anywhere but HERE should be outlawed. My father flies his all the time, with his Marine Corp flag proudly below the Stars and Stripes.

:patriot:

Kudos to you father for his service:patriot:

We found out on our trip to Florida that if you go to use the timer on the over the stove micro-wave make sure you press "timer" instead of turning it on high. It will cook for about 11 minutes before the exhaust fan comes on (my wife then called me over to see why) and then it shuts off automatically after that.

The cabinets above it will be hot and the little rubber door bumpers will be melted off & turns into a sticky mess, even on the doors next to it the bumpers will be soften.

After a few minutes it still wouldn't do anything. I unplugged it. I looked up GE hotline on their website and called them. The tech had me plug it back in. All the lights came on and we tested it with a cup of water....all works again :)

so instead of burning down the kitchen/house we just had a "hot time".

....Just saying......

Back