Electrical Mystery 2003 GTI LE RFI

Slikk55

There seems to be a great deal of knowledge on this forum. I have been scouring the internet for guidance and trying to find the solution to this problem.

In May I charged and connected my battery ( 1 year old) to our 2003 Sea-Doo GTI LE Rfi. Put the Dess key on and everything seemed ready for a test run in the driveway. Pulled the Dess key off to get ready to start the motor with hose for cooling. When I reattached the Dess key, nothing, nada, no beeps, no panel indications. Checked the battery connections they were fine and proper. Troubleshooting since then including:
Clean battery terminals and wires, check voltage of battery = 12.4v , have the battery load tested = OK. Checked fuses in the access on the MPEM and checked Dess wires and trouble shoot Dess problems IAW internet guidance, Dess switch tests good with continuity and I can hear the relay on top of the MPEM rack. click when Dess key is in proximity of Dess port.
Took the relay to the dealer in my area, they sold me a 30 amp Relay and said "this will be the fix". Since then using a parts search have determined that relay did not get used till 2012 models. So much time lost looking for the box that relay went into. Pulled almost every plug apart and cleaned with electronic connection cleaner. Pulled the ground wires off the front of the engine and cleaned and reattached with di-electric grease treatment. Checked numerous ground wires in plugs for continuity to ground. 12 volts getting thru to main relay when Dess key installed, yet panel has no power and no beeps. Did get one random beep when Dess key was on the port and was staring into the abyss trying to figure out WTF to try next.

Clearly, I am missing something or the MPEM is shot. I have pulled the MPEM out as the dealer told me the 30 Amp relay went in there (WRONG). The Transformer Rectifier passed the Diode check, found that on the web from a snowmobile shop. Found and checked the 20 amp fuse in the front of the engine compartment. The SEA-Doo warehouse site has great manual and parts info but has not led me to find the problem. It could be the main relay p/n 278001783, but I can hear it clicking when the Dess key is placed, so I hate to spend $100 if that is not the problem.
This Sea Doo has been well maintained and has run great for years. We bought it in April of 2014, 2nd owner. The sudden change is baffling. Literally less than 10 minutes from good to go to DOA. I have talked to a number of mechanics in my area who are reluctant to work on it. One guy told me the 2003 is a one off year. The Sea-Doo dealer said we don't work on older SEA-Doo's.

So, if you have any thoughts on this feel free to chime in. To clarify it is a 2003 GTI LE RFI 6102/6104. I will try to add some pictures to the posting in the next day or so. Thanks for reading this sad mystery novel.

Last edited:
There seems to be a great deal of knowledge on this forum. I have been scouring the internet for guidance and trying to find the solution to this problem.

In May I charged and connected my battery ( 1 year old) to our 2003 Sea-Doo GTI LE Rfi. Put the Dess key on and everything seemed ready for a test run in the driveway. Pulled the Dess key off to get ready to start the motor with hose for cooling. When I reattached the Dess key, nothing, nada, no beeps, no panel indications. Checked the battery connections they were fine and proper. Troubleshooting since then including:
Clean battery terminals and wires, check voltage of battery = 12.4v , have the battery load tested = OK. Checked fuses in the access on the MPEM and checked Dess wires and trouble shoot Dess problems IAW internet guidance, Dess switch tests good with continuity and I can hear the relay on top of the MPEM rack. click when Dess key is in proximity of Dess port.
Took the relay to the dealer in my area, they sold me a 30 amp Relay and said "this will be the fix". Since then using a parts search have determined that relay did not get used till 2012 models. So much time lost looking for the box that relay went into. Pulled almost every plug apart and cleaned with electronic connection cleaner. Pulled the ground wires off the front of the engine and cleaned and reattached with di-electric grease treatment. Checked numerous ground wires in plugs for continuity to ground. 12 volts getting thru to main relay when Dess key installed, yet panel has no power and no beeps. Did get one random beep when Dess key was on the port and was staring into the abyss trying to figure out WTF to try next.

Clearly, I am missing something or the MPEM is shot. I have pulled the MPEM out as the dealer told me the 30 Amp relay went in there (WRONG). The Transformer Rectifier passed the Diode check, found that on the web from a snowmobile shop. Found and checked the 20 amp fuse in the front of the engine compartment. The SEA-Doo warehouse site has great manual and parts info but has not led me to find the problem. It could be the main relay p/n 278001783, but I can hear it clicking when the Dess key is placed, so I hate to spend $100 if that is not the problem.
This Sea Doo has been well maintained and has run great for years. We bought it in April of 2014, 2nd owner. The sudden change is baffling. Literally less than 10 minutes from good to go to DOA. I have talked to a number of mechanics in my area who are reluctant to work on it. One guy told me the 2003 is a one off year. The Sea-Doo dealer said we don't work on older SEA-Doo's.

So, if you have any thoughts on this feel free to chime in. To clarify it is a 2003 GTI LE RFI 6102/6104. I will try to add some pictures to the posting in the next day or so. Thanks for reading this sad mystery novel.
Two things happen when you attach a DESS key. The reed relay in the DESS post makes the connection and that activates the main (power) relay which gives the power to the MPEM. My machine is 2004 LE RFI, but I am pretty sure your is very similar, there is a fuse that is located within the relay box (attached on the top of the metal mounting bracket that holds the MPEM). You should hear a click in the main relay when you bring a magnet or DESS key close to the post. When MPEM gets the power it attempts to read the key binary code.

Check the three fuses (5A, 10A, 15A) on the black MPEM housing and two 20A fuses (one is from the rectifier and the second is within the main power relay).

Last edited:
Back