RESTO Double trouble: 97 & 98 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAGRE147

Picked these up in a trade. 97 XP and 98 XPL titled with double trailer, sbt 951, silver cowling for XPL, seadoo cover, and a few odds and ends and $500. In return he got a non running 2001 kawasaki prairie with mud tires.

97 supposedly has a seized motor, and both are pretty disgusting. 98 needs exhaust pipe. Both seem to have everything else, I'll have to give it a once over in a bit.

197.jpg

198.jpg

199.jpg

200.jpg

201.jpg

202.jpg

Thats a good question lol I'm a little overwhelmed with it all right now, first step I reckon will be to scrub em down.... they are both pretty gross. Then move on to the 787 and see if it's actually seized or If it's something sense

212.jpg

This was a pleasant little surprise, it was in the utility box on the trailer with a few life jackets.

I think you did great on your trade. With a small financial investment even if the 1997 is toast you will have some great relatively cheap fun come summer.

looks like you got a good deal! i love the cleaning/buffing stage of getting a new ski, they just clean up so well. some good music and beer goes a far way.

My point is that your gonna need a "keeper" ski and that XPL with a fresh 951 is a fine candidate.

Does anyone know if there is a write up on proper wetsanding and polishing techniques? I have been searching and keep getting cross-eyed and side tracked by the many excellent resto threads on the site. I remember seeing something posted somewhere, but i'll be damned if I can find it now

JSG has an AWESOME right up [MENTION=51350]Jetskigoodies[/MENTION]

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Shoot dagre147, I liked the outlaws on the prairie. I though you had it fixed but I guess not? I saw you on the kawie riders forum lol, too bad. If I was you drop them off at Braleys house and he will get them running right and you do the cleanup! Ha

Lol yeah thought I had it running but I think the ignition is going on it, doesn't turn on but every 20 or so key turns.

You for sure made out in that deal!

I have a thread on the buffing/ wet sanding.

I will look for the link and post it tomorrow

PWC stand

anybody had any luck with these stands? I was gonna build one out of lumber, but the last thing I need right now is another project. Seems reasonably priced?

edit: just checked and my "left over lumber" might not be the best candidate for building a stand to hold up a few hundred pounds of beauty. So pricing out buying the materials myself, I figure i'd be in for close to $80-100 regardless. hmmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very interested in people's experience with this stand as well. I've got that exact stand in my watch list right now actually. I think it's $20-30 higher on Amazon and gets a range of reviews. The main thing (which doesn't bother me) is you need to drill your own holes, b/c theirs are incorrect supposedly.

Btw...congrats on that sweet deal!!

Just build it yourself. 2x4s are cheap and get some harbor freight castors if just using in the garage. There was a real good build thread on greenhulk that everyone seems to use. Saving fifty bucks on a stand just bought you a full gallon of oil and a new oil filter

Bahhh you're right, I know....I was hoping to be talked the other way in justifying the easy buy but I know I should just build it. Grrr

Just build it yourself. 2x4s are cheap and get some harbor freight castors if just using in the garage. There was a real good build thread on greenhulk that everyone seems to use. Saving fifty bucks on a stand just bought you a full gallon of oil and a new oil filter

Totally agree, I used what scrap wood I had and a few new 2x4s, total time spent was about 3 hrs.

244.jpg

I probably overbuilt it, but I've got a little over $100 in the one I built. Holds the ski and me on it though lol For the money, I don't know if it's worth building another, or just buying the one the OP is looking at. 4" locking from harbor freight...should have gone bigger looking back, but they work fine.

For some reason the picture seems to have been stretched from the upload btw

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
274.jpg

Just needs bunk carpet. Cost me $106 but I bought enough wood for 2 carts. Doesn't include the skilsaw I had to buy because my battery powered black and Decker shit the bed on my first thing this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back