battery maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigJake

I have 2 skis and kept both batteries charged all winter but one would still not work. Had it tested at Advanced Auto, test showed only 118 CCA although it was over 12V. I got tired of buying new $50 NeverStart batteries from Walmart every year so decided to try a maintenance free battery from Advanced for $84. It's rated at 335 CCA but tested at 459 CCA.

All I'm using right now is a $10 2 amp float charger from Harbor Freight. I have 2 of them that I switched between 4 batteries every week or so over the winter. Is this adequate? It says it has automatic shutoff to prevent overcharging.

I know batteries lose charge from just sitting, If I'm not going to use my ski for awhile does it make a difference to disconnect the battery? If so, I saw on another thread someone said they added an on/off switch for their battery, but I went to the wesite they mentioned and couldn't find anything that seemed appropriate. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I like most of the Harbor Freight stuff... but the float chargers they sell suck. I put two in the trash. Buy a real "Battery Tender". They are the only maintainers that work properly.

Also... don't get cheap on the Battery. Wal-Mart batteries SUCK. I've seen more than one be bad out of the box. The AGM from Advance will be OK.

There is no reason to disconnect the battery during the winter. Just give it a charge once a month... or put it on a tender. If you use a regular charger... don't over charge the battery. That's worse than letting it go dead.

thanks. can you recommend a battery tender, how much do I have to spend? I was wondering more about if I don't use the ski for a week or two and it is sitting on my ramp at the shore in my backyard while I am at home from the lakehouse, I don't have A/C down at the dock to have it hooked to a tender while i am gone. Is it best to disconnect ther terminals or doesn't that matter?

I see we are both from Pgh.

Did you see the picture of Snipes boat I doctored onto that FAIL picture you posted this morning? lol

A real "Battery Tender" should cost you around $35 for the small one. Here's a link to the product. You can find them cheaper local. I got one on sale for $29 last year... but I have a "Jr" at my shop that is at least 15 years old, and still works great. (I just wanted an extra)

http://batterytender.com/motorcycle/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html

If the battery is good... there is no problem with a few weeks storage. Heck... most of the time... during the winter... I don't think about getting my batteries hooked up to the tender... and they will still crank the ski after a month or so. Don't worry about disconnecting the battery. Besides... every once in a while, an MPEM is known to loose it's programming, for the keys, if left un-powered. (it's not supposed to)

I'm close to Irwin. Where you at? Maybe we could hook up for a ride.

thanks guys, I'll pick up one of those tenders.

another battery question. I put the new batttery in the ski, starts right up. but after it starts if flashes 12V Fragile, why would i get that with a good battery. come to think of it i think this ski has done that with evey battery i've had in it. It only had 12.03 volts and 459 CCA out of the box but i figures jsut stick it in and the ski will give it the full charge. Rode for 30 mintues and still get the 12v fragile msg after it starts. but it does start instantly.

I have an Odyssey Battery on one of my skis. This is the 4th year !! I bought the ski 2 years ago and the guy told me it was the best battery to buy. Now I have had it 2 years and it's awesome. I dont know anyone would buy any other battery.
I just had to buy a new one for my other ski. I bought an Odyssey. In the pamplet was a warning about using on SEADOO jet skis. It said to install a cut off on the negative terminal becasuse SEADOO jet skis have been known to draw a current especially if the lanyard stays connected to the ski.
I didn't think much about it till I read this thread.
Boyd

thanks Boyd, that expalins the drain I always thought I had on my batteries while the skis were sitting ( I don't leave the lanyard in). I was actually searching for a battery shutoff switch a couple days ago but didn't have any luck, I'll check out the one from Overtons. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back