97xp blowing 5 amp fuse please help newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
one more pic does this need to be hooked up it wasnt it has the aftermarket carbs on it and its no longer using the mixer i have to mix it manually and put it in the tank....

Attachments

• seadoo2.jpg
    seadoo2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 23
k first is there a reason i need to pull the mag and flywheel or do i need to pull it just to clean it out... and second chester i went to that site you gave me but before i do that test i want to make sure im right... on mine which is a 1997 xp it says "1997 XP 2-26 (3-26) 2-24 (3-24)" so does that mean i need to test two plugs which are labled 2 and 3 and if im understanding this right on the #2 plug i attach the hot to the 26 and the ground on the 24 and then on the plug #3 I attach the hot on the 26 and the ground on 24 also if im right that includes two test or do i do one test which would be both of these at the same time so i would have two hots and two grounds runnning to the board at the same time..... sorry if this is confusing you but i understand what im saying LOL im just trying to understand others as well LOL... thanks for all your guys help....:confused::confused: and last but not least what should i use to clean the shavings off just a rag or should i use some kind of cleaner....

one more pic does this need to be hooked up it wasnt it has the aftermarket carbs on it and its no longer using the mixer i have to mix it manually and put it in the tank....

i'm not sure, but if you are mixing your own gas, then i think you need to have that oil pump removed and a blockoff installed. someone else will have to chime in with this answer, i'm not sure about it.

i'm not sure, but if you are mixing your own gas, then i think you need to have that oil pump removed and a blockoff installed. someone else will have to chime in with this answer, i'm not sure about it.

You are right. 720tobe should at least remove the oil pump driveshaft.

Chester

so only thing i should remove is the white plastic part located in the middle of the magneto.... also can someone answer my q's from a couple post ago where i was talking about the test that chester is wanting me to do.... i just dont want to do it wrong and smoke my mpem if it isnt already....

also if i remove the white shaft do i need to do anything else i read somewhere were i needed a blockoff or is that if i actually take it off the front....

ok so just take out the white shaft and put it back together like you normally would just without the shaft... also here is a few q's i had a few days back that sorda went unanswerd please read and help thanks

k first is there a reason i need to pull the mag and flywheel or do i need to pull it just to clean it out... and second chester i went to that site you gave me but before i do that test i want to make sure im right... on mine which is a 1997 xp it says "1997 XP 2-26 (3-26) 2-24 (3-24)" so does that mean i need to test two plugs which are labled 2 and 3 and if im understanding this right on the #2 plug i attach the hot to the 26 and the ground on the 24 and then on the plug #3 I attach the hot on the 26 and the ground on 24 also if im right that includes two test or do i do one test which would be both of these at the same time so i would have two hots and two grounds runnning to the board at the same time..... sorry if this is confusing you but i understand what im saying LOL im just trying to understand others as well LOL... thanks for all your guys help.... and last but not least what should i use to clean the shavings off just a rag or should i use some kind of cleaner....

k i just got it cleaned up inspected it all and it all seemed in good condition and put it back together and its doing the same thing.... only thing i havent done is the test on my mpem like chester said but i've stated a couple times that i dont want to do the test until someone tells me exactly how to do it let me know if there is any other test i need to do... thanks

You need a new MPEM. A simpler test than the one I linked to, with the wire harnesses still plugged into the MPEM, disconnect the battery & with an ohm meter, check for continuity between the 5 amp fuse connector and the ground (black) wire. If your reading is a closed circuit (0 ohms) replace the MPEM.

Chester

chester, so i need to check it with the fuse out on the left of the fuse or the right of the fuse and just ground the other side.... sorry man ill get it but it takes me a little longer all this is new to me......

k i just checked the left side and the right side and grounded the black side of the ohm meter and i got 0 on both sides.... ???????????? did i do it right and if so does this mean mpem for sure......

ok are you all for sure thats it and is there another test i can do but if you all know thats what it is can i get mine refurbished and if not where is the best place to get one.... thanks guys for all your help.... :cheers:

hey guys the story just changed Ok here it goes it seems that the guy had put different fuses in the wrong spot the one that was popping was a five and it was suppose to be a 15amp so i changed them and it is no longer doing the same it is not popping the fuses at all but it still dies out i dunno but it seems like if i play with the throttle it runs longer at times is there any way its the pickup unit in the tank if there is one... it starts good everytime just dies like u pull the plug......

do you actually think its the carbs it runs so good without a miss and revs fine but then it will just die like you pull the lanyard off also i was doing some more research and it still has the grey fuel lines on it...?????????It seems like if i start it and let it idel it will run for awhile and then die and if i rev in or just play with the thottle in and out it will stay running for along time and then dies..... also it seems to build alot of pressure in the tank when i pull the gas lid off its got alot of pressure but i tried running it wihout and it did the same......

your tank, should be venting. Shouldnt have a big "whoooosh" when opening cap.

If grey lines in, you'll get mix "opinions", but I say, replace them, and go thru carbs. Along with that, check the "spigots" off the tank, where lines plug onto.

Another thing to try, is clean the landyard and post, could be bad connect there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back