RESTO 95 xp800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work, glad I didn't buy it now. That engine is going to be some work that I wouldn't have wanted to do, cant wait to see what you do with it though! Hey if your ever in the northland, I have a ski stand that would be perfect for this. Home built one, looks like the one you have your 95 XP on but might sit a little higher, $30? Cost me like $100 to build. I'm out of the game

Didn't you say that you have an engine that you can just swap into this one, or are you going to rebuild it?

Nice work, glad I didn't buy it now. That engine is going to be some work that I wouldn't have wanted to do, cant wait to see what you do with it though! Hey if your ever in the northland, I have a ski stand that would be perfect for this. Home built one, looks like the one you have your 95 XP on but might sit a little higher, $30? Cost me like $100 to build. I'm out of the game

Didn't you say that you have an engine that you can just swap into this one, or are you going to rebuild it?

I might take you up on the cart, never know. Right now I've got like 14 of them, with three currently empty.. the reason the ski is on the trailer in the pics is because I took it back over to my shop, to make room in my garage for an 01 RX coming my way (in trade for work done to the green/white GTX in the background of one of the pics,) and I was just too lazy to pull it off Saturday.

I do have an engine I could just drop in, but I got nothing but time.. so I'm just screwing around deciding what I want to do. The engine is the least of my worries right now (I guess that sounds weird?) with this project.

I am extremely happy to see you save this one. Mikes 95 decals are on point FYI, if you're planning to try and bring it back to as original as possible

95 XP800!!!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Blasted a bit more tonight, painted a few things.

The white isn't exactly right, but I think i'm going to just forge ahead.
uploadfromtaptalk1453173240318.jpg

The Valspar purple is amazingly close.
uploadfromtaptalk1453173253509.jpg

I also took off the front cover.. I'll just leave this here.
uploadfromtaptalk1453173381072.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453173395395.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I always paint the engine complete so it doesn't chip when torquing down the hardware. As for the color of the white being to white, I always spray the engine down with Seadoo Lube. It will change the color to be closer to the original white color.

Just spending my time blasting and painting here and there.. the front cover cleaned up really quite nicely I must say.
20160120_211444.jpg

So I blast a part, paint the part, two days later I wrap the part up in packing paper and tape it up, put it in a storage tote until time to reassemble.
Reynolds, if you ever want to come check this turd out sometime, feel free..

slow night last night (kids basketball game.. )
Blasted and painted the exhaust manifold, and cleaned up the head bolts.

From janky.
20151220_110815.jpg

To swanky.
20160121_225447.jpg
bolts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your plan, my next ski I get I would like to have it and just take it nice and slow , work on it when it rains and what not...

Just cleaning and prettying things up here and there.. not much of an update.

Bottom case.. it's so purdy. And will never again be as clean as it is right now.
20160201_210305.jpg

damn that looks good. glad to see people using the blasters

Ahhhh painting engines is overrated LOL
I'm never going to hear the end of it for not painting that 95 engine. I just couldn't blast and repaint an original 95 787X. When it gives out on me I'll tear it down and blast and paint it.

I'm never going to hear the end of it for not painting that 95 engine. I just couldn't blast and repaint an original 95 787X. When it gives out on me I'll tear it down and blast and paint it.
You're just waiting for me to paint it.

Hasn't it been rebuilt before? Lol

Yea but oem correct size pistons. Not bored over or anything. When it's not OEM parts anymore I'll feel better about it lol. I look at as a survivor right now. Guess I'm weird haha

Not painting was not an option. Getting ready to blast the top case, so a perfect before and after.
20160202_205439.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Insides cleaned up really really well, actually.
Prior to blasting, I clean it up with my parts washer, then tape up all the mating and bearing surfaces. Once I am done blasting, I remove the tape from all but the RV surface, and blow it all off with compressed air. I give it the paint job.. and once I'm ready to reassemble the engine (this will be in a few weeks) I'll clean the mating surfaces up of any overspray and give it a nice hot water bath.. There's a few spots on the mating surfaces that will also require some touch-up with a stone, a few little dings from a previous engine rebuild.

Just waiting on a few parts to come in from a guy in Pennsylvania, but he's been having PayPal/health/ups/family/sick cat issues that has prevented him from shipping anything for weeks. ;)

Actually, I just ordered the top end kit, few gaskets, and other misc. items to finish the engine assembly and get it installed.. But I've got the bottom end all done. I was fortunate to have had a cherry 97 crank sitting on my shelf to use, so that helped ye ol wallet. (Side note, the crank that was in the engine was not a 95)
So, when the parts arrive, I'll take the pistons and cylinders over to the machinists and get the cylinders bored/honed/chamfered, and by this time next week I should have the engine ready to drop in.

I have to take the pipe to the welders to get a plug fixed, discovered that while blasting.

I haven't even begun on hull cleanup, but it's to the point that I have to address it.

Just waiting on a few parts to come in from a guy in Pennsylvania, but he's been having PayPal/health/ups/family/sick cat issues that has prevented him from shipping anything for weeks. ;)

Actually, I just ordered the top end kit, few gaskets, and other misc. items to finish the engine assembly and get it installed.. But I've got the bottom end all done. I was fortunate to have had a cherry 97 crank sitting on my shelf to use, so that helped ye ol wallet. (Side note, the crank that was in the engine was not a 95)
So, when the parts arrive, I'll take the pistons and cylinders over to the machinists and get the cylinders bored/honed/chamfered, and by this time next week I should have the engine ready to drop in.

I have to take the pipe to the welders to get a plug fixed, discovered that while blasting.

I haven't even begun on hull cleanup, but it's to the point that I have to address it.

Dan,

If you need to buy the plug, buy a couple of them from [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION]. He has some already made up that fit 100% perfect. You can grind it down, so then all the welder has to do is lay down the bead

I hope your not talking about that David w...... adam will know

Dan,

If you need to buy the plug, buy a couple of them from [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION]. He has some already made up that fit 100% perfect. You can grind it down, so then all the welder has to do is lay down the bead

I'll take it to my ex father in laws place, hi tech welding in Lees Summit.. He'll knock it out in a few minutes.

He has ripped off so many guys on our buy sell trade page. Guys are pressing charges. If you are waiting on parts, they are not coming. File a claim now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back