2002 utopia m2 dog getting out of the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evanh

Hey everyone new to the Seadoo scene. Bought a 2002 utopia with the m2 sight unseen. Finally got it out on the water and seems like it is a dog getting out of the hole. 2 adults and 2 children and gear, probably took a good 4-5 seconds to get up on plane. Is this normal? I was hoping to do some boarding or skiing behind this thing, but coming in at 220 lbs I am really gonna have to do my part to get out of the water? Anything I should be checking? Going to check compression and plugs. Anything else? Seemed to top out at just over 40 mph can't remember what the revs were at. Thanks

I can't comment on the Doo with a Merc on holeshot but I did drive 07' Sugar Sand Fish and fun last year and that thing was a mutt out of the hole. I even told the people who I was helping look for a boat not to buy it because they want to use it for tubing/skiing. But they bought it anyway. I just blamed it because I think it was a 200 Optimax, not a 250. Sorry man.

I had a very similar problem. It felt like it would only rev up to a point on the throttle then go no further. Felt like it was struggling at wot. Recorded 39 mph on the GPS. Turned out one of the plugs wasn't firing due to one of the 6 coil packs being dead. Spark plug had been washed clean by the fuel going through the cylinder and not igniting. Pull leads off coil packs one at a time and see if they are sparking. Use a screw driver against the metal and hold the end close to the coil and you should see each one spark. New coil pack sorted it now revs full up the throttle range and shows 49mph on the gps

If you find that you have all 6 plugs firing normally, then it might be that your impellor and/or wear-ring are a bit worn out and thus not getting the push that you should get. I know that mine (2000 Challenger 1800 with a M2 210HP carbed engine) has some wear and I am going to get it replaced probably next year... but I am still getting 47MPH at 5600rpm's. I can get up to 30MPH in about 3-4 seconds or so. To top speed in 5-6 seconds. My engine had a fairly comprehensive tune-up last summer, so it is running well.

More then likely, there is a number of issues at hand here, you might just need an overall tune-up, carbs cleaned, new plugs, new stator and gear oil, fresh fuel, new fuel/water filter, timing adjusted and so on.

Sorry, your 2002 M2 Merc is probably an EFI, so no carb's.... so maybe get your injectors checked and cleaned or replaced?

Yes it is EFI. Does that mean it is the 240 version of the M2? I am gonna tear into it here some when we get home, I will check the firing, compressions, I will get the injectors bench tested as well. It's seems to run really well, idles nice and accelerates smooth just seems low on power.

The compression will tell you alot... The expert on these pages (Dr Honda) gave a general guideline in one of his posts some time ago: Compression values of
135-150 = Brand new;
120-130 = Good;
100-110 = Marginal;
Below 90 = Time to rebuild.

A quick Google search and it showed that the 2002 Utopia 205 model had a large number of engine options.

Merc 200HP OptiMax M2 Jet Drive
Merc 210HP Carbed M2 Jet Drive
Merc 240HP EFI M2 Jet Drive
Merc 250HP OptiMax M2 Jet Drive

If you have the 2002 Utopia 185 model, then the options were limited to:
Merc 200HP OptiMax M2 Jet Drive
Merc 210HP Carbed M2 Jet Drive

I had a very similar problem. It felt like it would only rev up to a point on the throttle then go no further. Felt like it was struggling at wot. Recorded 39 mph on the GPS. Turned out one of the plugs wasn't firing due to one of the 6 coil packs being dead. Spark plug had been washed clean by the fuel going through the cylinder and not igniting. Pull leads off coil packs one at a time and see if they are sparking. Use a screw driver against the metal and hold the end close to the coil and you should see each one spark. New coil pack sorted it now revs full up the throttle range and shows 49mph on the gps

is there an easier way to tell if all cylinders are working?

Thank you. Guessing the optimax is fuel injected then and that is the one I will have. That extra 40 horse would have gone a long ways

is there an easier way to tell if all cylinders are working?

One way I found was to start your engine from cold. Let it run for a minute or two. Then shut it down, you should be able to "feel" each cylinder around the spark plug with your hand. If it's firing, it should be just warm... If not firing it should still be cold.

I had a faulty switch box... In my engine their are 2 of these... Each controlling one cylinder bank of 3 cylinders each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This past weekend, with a full tank of gas and ice box and two adults and two kids, I got 30 mph on the built in speedometer at 4500 but the gps said I was only going 26.2 mph. Assuming the gps is more accurate this is 4 mph slower than the boat test result which achieved 31 mph at that rpm.

I am guessing if the rpm is the same, the only culprits for the difference in speed must be some other factor such as weight difference between my boat and the test boat, water current direction OR a worn impeller or wear ring. Does my analysis make sense?

Get the family out of the back seat! Get some weight to the front, that will fix you. I am always amazed how much the back seaters effect getting started.

Also, check the wear ring / impeller. There's a few posts in this forum around a JB Weld fix, works wonders, and easy to do, just find the right socket ( make one ) to remove the impeller. I get 47 MPH on a new engine ( 200 ) with a perfect ring and impeller.

Please confirm that when you're saying 30mph at 4600rpm, that is the max you can get?

Thanks for all the input. The family was in the backseat so we will try that also, but still want to be able to load up with friends and play as well. Hopefully will get time next week to look into all this stuff.

Please confirm that when you're saying 30mph at 4600rpm, that is the max you can get?

No that is not. I am not a speedster. That is the speed I normally run at.

I was just trying to figure out how far off my performance was from a the original specs and if so what i can do about it.

No that is not. I am not a speedster. That is the speed I normally run at.

I was just trying to figure out how far off my performance was from a the original specs and if so what i can do about it.
Ok, then you really weren't that far off what you can expect. And certainly the number of people and equipment you're carrying will factor into the speed you get at 4600rpms. Also the position where everyone is sitting etc all factor into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there's nothing like actually getting out on the water and seeing for myself! I was a bit surprised by just how much difference there was between a full tank of gas (151 liters) vs a tank only quarter full! With the gas tank position directly under the back seat, it would be somewhat similar to a couple of people sitting back there (as I was by myself). The acceleration is much more sluggish... About 5-6 seconds from idle to 30mph (full tank) vs 3-4 seconds (1/4 tank). And top speed dropped about 3-4 mph. So the moral to the story is as with any boat, weight and weight distribution all play big factors in speed, acceleration and balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back