RESTO 1998 Seadoo SPX Resto Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow what a nice looking "mill" as you would say. You rebuilt my "rebuilt" engine haha

Lol, just swapped internals. But, that cb shaft you got for the 95 crank....I did replace the bearings with skf bearings.

Was the rv shaft rebuilt?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics. What is the white sealant on the case parting line? Is the red stuff on the bolt threads 518? Also, which synthetic grease are you using below the bolt head? (the gray looking stuff)

The white, it's threebond 1211. I'm not getting into a debate on what's better. The red is 518. The grease is clear and its molykote 111.

Yes that is the "rebuilt" cb that you showed me back then from Wizard. I paid him like $125 for that thing from what I remember. I thought you were happy with his stuff previously. Evidently he's a little inconsistent.

Yes that is the "rebuilt" cb that you showed me back then from Wizard. I paid him like $125 for that thing from what I remember. I thought you were happy with his stuff previously. Evidently he's a little inconsistent.

I'm just anal about bearings, when I don't see a name...I worry. Everything I bought from him was NOS in the bag so it is hard to screw that up.

I was asking about the rv shaft? I changed the bearings and the original ones were mint. I kinda feel bad changing them.

The white, it's threebond 1211. I'm not getting into a debate on what's better. The red is 518. The grease is clear and its molykote 111.

Thanks, I may be doing some engine work soon and it's good to know what works. I don't care what's better ... if it works for someone that's done as much engine work as you have, that's all I need to know. I'm sure you've sorted out the also rans.

Engine is done. Pressure test in the AM, paint soon after....I hope.

349.jpg

350.jpg

351.jpg

352.jpg

SO I snagged a yellow single gauge hood for the SPX build the other week. It was yellow-ish. I had to actually compound this one, the scotch brite and soft scrub was barely touching it. Got it cleaned up and hit it with the wipe new. Now, for the repairs/replacement parts. It was missing the hinge and the gasket. The hinge was easy, I just took it form my old 96 XP hood, but then I needed stainless blind hole rivets. Thanks Mcmaster for the right stuff on that. Then the seal, OEM was crazy expensive on ebay. So I found a close replacement on ebay. Almost $10 shipped for like 15'. It's a shame someone butchered it to wire it for a 96 XP...news flash you can fit all that chit thru the original hole. You need to separate the wiring and just run what you need up into the single gauge and just cable tie the rest up inside the hull.

186.jpg

187.jpg

189.jpg

353.jpg

354.jpg

355.jpg

356.jpg

357.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MMMMMMM, my signature hydro turf arrived! It feels a tad thinner than my last set, also looks just a tad different too. Still really nice stuff.

358.jpg

Another day another dolla'

Engine is pressure tested and ready to go. Off to the machine shop to give it one final bead blast, yes complete. The home for paint and clear. Let it dray a little and start the install. Got the pipe painted and cleared in between pressure tests.

359.jpg

360.jpg

361.jpg

Back from bead blasting and it painted and cleared. Drying now and hope to install it tonight.

364.jpg

365.jpg

The clear coat goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

366.jpg

367.jpg

368.jpg

369.jpg

How do you guys paint the engine? Paint the bottom first or last or use a hoist and suspend it or what?

I use my portable work stand from Harbor. I love these things. I just roll the engine to hit the undersides pretty good, then hit the "hard to get to places" so I don't get a lot of build up. Build up leads to runs especially on corners and radiuses. I dust a few coats on starting from the highest to the lowest, then a final one or two medium to heavy wet coats. Let it flash over about 15-20 minutes and do the same procedure with the clear. If you try and paint all over the place the paint will get chalky from over spray and look like chit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/200-lb-capacity-portable-work-stand-38778.html

370.jpg

New fuel tank is in and oil filter too. Love the green stained lines, I guess someone used the wrong oil.

386.jpg

I did this time for some reason. It make no difference for me, most guys can't stand doing starters in these skis. But since the carbs are off you can reach in there no problem.

On top of all this work, I have been taking numerous pics of the engine tear down and rebuild from the CB shaft to the rotary shaft and the steps along the way. I also took step by step pics of the carbs. All in hopes to some day do a thread on a 787 rebuild so guys can see how to do it step by step sorta. You guys are only getting the tip of the iceberg with these pics.

Dan a 787 build thread would be the shiz! I know it would help tons of guy(like me lol) with future builds

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Well guys............I might have fallen short. I have hemorrhaged so much cash in the last week on this ski and it was all for not. I'm gonna sleep on it, but tomorrow is our departure date for vaca. It's very close to brapp time. It's just some small stuff that is eating away at me that I just can let go. I actually rebuilt the pump an hour ago, bearings, seals and a new wear ring. I registered and titled it today, bought a fire extinguisher, 2 gallons of oil. I might pack everything up and bring it with, not sure where I'm gonna store the rub rails, LOL. I'm really bummed, I feel like I just wasted the last few days. So here's where it sits now.

403.jpg

404.jpg

405.jpg

406.jpg

407.jpg

408.jpg

409.jpg

Ok, the party is back on. I took the ski with us. Last night I was burnt on the project. I got some sleep and got my head back on half way straight. I think I took everything with me that I need. I even tossed the side and back rub rail on with a few rivets cause we had no where to store them. I packed the hulls on the 98 and the 96 full up by the storage bins, brought my turf, stapler to work on the seat a little. Basically everything but the single gauge hood, I couldn't find a boot for the gauge so I left it at home. I'm hoping to have it running in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back