RESTO 1998 Seadoo SPX Resto Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rub rail size, not front bumper size. Just drill the heads and smack them down into the hull foam. I'm out of rivets gonna order another 100 since I'm gonna pull the rails of the 98 to buff it.

A small update. Started to buff the hull today. Hit harbor for some foam pads for the porter cable knock off buffer. It works pretty well but I still had to switch back to the wool pad on the real buffer. The Harbor orbital DA buffer is great for polishing, but if you want to get some big boy work done fast, you have to use the wool.

Here's how bad the black is faded, basically it's white.

651.jpg

652.jpg

A quick hit with the Harbor did this patch.

653.jpg

Sylvania test

654.jpg

The bikes are hanging from my ceiling

655.jpg

656.jpg

657.jpg

658.jpg

Decals are great for a "driver". I don't think I'm changing them but I do have a few sick ideas in my head if I were to.

So, pretty much the Rave housings, starter, Mag housing, mag cup, stator, cylinder head and cover, and PTO are all that are salvageable on this engine. Even the rotary cover is junk. Kids, don't let water sit in your engine or it will be rendered useless. LOL. So I bought that 95 787 bottom end from Braley the other week. So, my plan is to rip apart the engine I built for my 95 so I can steal the 96+ OEM rebuilt crank and put in these cases and take the 95 787 only OEM crank from the Braley engine to put in my 95 cases. LOL, all so I can have the original engine in that ski that it left the factory with. But.......since the 98 cases are SMOKED I'll be using the 95 cases from the Braley engine in my 98. Oh, and since the cylinder are total garbage, I shanked the engine from the other 96 I picked up when I bought my 95 out of Virginia. Try and wrap your head around that. LOL, I'll let the pics tell the story.

Here's the bottom of the case, that rot is so deep it's getting close to coming thru

659.jpg

Now the cylinders

660.jpg

661.jpg

The rear transfer port is rotted so badly it wouldn't seal, it is just erroded.

662.jpg

663.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that you sand blasted the crap stuff to see how bad it really was. Looks like you just added some more to your scrap pile/ seadoo fund. I am shocked the starter is good. Figured water would have penetrated that too.

Yeah, it's crazy, the starter turns smoothly. I have not bench tested it yet but I the one for my 96 external wise was in way worse shape than this one. I'll break it down for inspection like I do every part of the project. The flywheel I probably won't use as it has some ground down teeth on it. The other crazy this is I hardly broke any "big" hardware on this. All the exhaust mani bolts came right out, the carb bolts spun right loose and all the head cover bolts popped right out. Unfortunately all the water was not in the cooling system. I actually thought about having these welded and just re machine the mating surfaces.

Not much to report other than I dropped the jugs off at the machine shop to get bored for a pair of OEM first overs. Picked up an OEM gasket set, new OEM fuel separator and 2 new OEM VTS boots. Should have the jugs back late next week and hope to have the RV shaft all rebuilt and the cases prepped for the build! I think I'm down to just carb kits and Hydro-Turf. Probably go with black and yellow diamond cut logo-less just like the 95.

237.jpg

How about a waste oil fired heater? They work great! I had one in the shop at a place I used to work, but we had waste oil in an almost unlimited supply- one oil change was 12 gal., fleet of 30 trucks, etc. Had to get rid of it tho' (carb-California air resource board) treehuggers put a stop to them in Ca.

How about a waste oil fired heater? They work great! I had one in the shop at a place I used to work, but we had waste oil in an almost unlimited supply- one oil change was 12 gal., fleet of 30 trucks, etc. Had to get rid of it tho' (carb-California air resource board) treehuggers put a stop to them in Ca.

I could have endless supply too. My buddy has his own trucking company, about 7 trucks. Problem is floor space, I'd love to get a hanging unit but I would still have to deal with the tank. Not to mention, they're crazy expensive. I don't know how you guys do it out there with all that crap rules and regs.

We don't now, apcd made them get rid of it (air pollution control district) but a sneaky home shop guy could sneak one in unnoticed.....the one we had was mounted overhead.

Ok, here's an update.

This is how it sits, untouched and empty. I want to take it on vacation SOON. So, I know I'm crazy for trying but I want to see how efficiently I can get it back running. No engine, nor is it assembled yet, head pipe just got picked up from the welders(dropped it off at 11 am, wife just snagged it), carbs are fully rebuilt as of last night. I have a chit load to bead blast and paint yet. [MENTION=2]hfgreg[/MENTION] at www.PWCMuscle.com got the order for the RacerXXX Edition hydro-turf, black and yellow diamond cut w/o logos and that should be delivered tomorrow. Gonna have to swipe some parts from the 95 to fill the bill on this one and just re-order later for that ski, LOL. Rob Peter to pay Paul! Oh man, I still have to make this legal in my name yet, just remembered that one.

310.jpg

311.jpg

312.jpg

The engine from the 95, it has a 96+ crank in it that I need for the 98 build. I have a correct 95 only crank to put back in the 95 engine. So last night I broke down the 95 engine completely, just for the crank and counter balance.

313.jpg

Another set of cases I prepped for the 98, they were 95 only cases from [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] (where I got the crank for the 95), they were good clean cases. I bead blasted them and am rebuilding the rotary shaft. Gotta do some case prep. Washing them in the parts washer, just took the pics about 15 minutes ago. (Don't mind my dinner, mmmmmm jerk chicken) Oh, and I quickly did the oil fill/drain mod yesterday at the shop.

314.jpg

315.jpg

You tapping that?

attachment.php

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1435084436361.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1435084436361.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 218
tasty work as always. so the hx, the needle and seats you think took care of that hard start issue?

DETAILS ON THAT SEAT! Looks like quite a bit of exterior work still needs to be done, what is the timetable for vacation? You even been on the water yet this year?

I won't know about the HX until I get it in the water. I hope so. It was just bad at the end of last season and I think they were the original N&S, the only thing I didn't go change I guess.

Ski still needs a buff, I can do that on vacation cause I won't have reggies, just a temporary. Time table....SOON--real soon, laughably soon. I have 2 skis, just trying to get a third. We're not taking the boat this year, my family never uses it, WE do, but the rest of my family doesn't so we decided not to drag it down.

Have I been on the water yet this year? NO. At this point I told the Mrs. if no one (extended family) wants to ride when were on vacation I'll see her at dinner time.

Just in, special delivery!!!!!!!!!!!

This is almost like live posting.

317.jpg

318.jpg

I like the picture of the case on the top of that last picture. the one you ripped apart. you can see how little sealant you really need to put on the case halves, I know how little you use, and look how much excess is just hanging around the edges. next time I do mine, ill use very little. I see some people put gobs of it on

Crank is in. Time to make dinner.

326.jpg

Thanks for the neat pictures, this one in particular is something the manuals don't give a good feel for. I'll probably be into my 787 soon if I don't get a RAVE spring that somehow made it into the RV port. Based on this picture it's hard to imagine there is enough room between the case and the crank and connecting rods for a spring that big to get by. Nice job. My 98 SPX project started as a quick maintenance clean up but it's turning into a resto.

Bottom end is done. I just need to wash the jugs (insert joke) and set the squish. I went to the shop tonight and bead blasted everything I need. I did the exhaust mani, head pipe, lower pipe, mag housing, mag cover, RV cover and PTO. Should be assembled and hope to paint tomorrow night. I'm sure guys are wondering why I went thru all the trouble of swapping cranks. Well I could have just stuffed the other engine in the 98, but then the engine serial # wouldn't have matched for my 95 (the one I really want to be 100% correct) and the crank would have been wrong. So, all this work just to make my 95 correct. Enjoy, until tomorrow's update!

332.jpg

333.jpg

334.jpg

335.jpg

336.jpg

337.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back