1996 gsx seadoo no spark still after replacing my stator and my ECM computer (CDI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrod6t9

OK guys here we go hopefully someone can help me out.

I have a 1996 gsx Seadoo that I bought and has given me nothing but problems for the last 2,3 summers :(

It was running a couple summers ago and then all of a sudden stopped giving spark.

I could not find anyone willing help me troubleshoot it or fix it in Victoria bc but I finally did find one guy he claimed that he was a retired helicopter mechanic so I really had faith that he would be able to help me fix it. I paid him $40 an hour for 4hrs he diagnosed that I need to replace my stator and my ECM computer brain box(CDI), so I took the seadoo back to my house ordered a working stator and ECM computer brain box(CDI) spending close to $300 Canadian on it off ebay. called the guy back to install it and he told me he was to busy, luckily my dad is a automotive mechanic and said he would help me install the parts. We successfully swapped out the parts (bellow I have attached picture of the parts we swapped ) and plugged my key fob in got my 2 beeps and tried to start it. you could here the engine cranking but we were not getting spark (took the spark plug out and tested it against the metal manifold cover)
So right now I'm stuck I don't know what to replace next this (shotgun method) unplugging and pulling parts is getting expensive. I'm not sure what to replace now is it my coil,relay or is it the big grey box( Mpem computer brain box with coated key) also I changed the (CDI brain box) do I need to rekey my ignition I tried both brains boxes (CDIs) the original and the one I ordered. I get the 2 beeps when I plug the fob and it tries to crank regardless of the box so that leads me to believe I don't need to rekey.any help tips or tricks would be gratefully appreciated thanks in advanced$_57.JPGlfefdsdgs.JPG

also this is the grey box I'm thinking of swapping$_57kjkjkjkj.JPG

Sorry that this is so much of a struggle. So I am a little confused on what you changed. Did you change the CDI, or the entire gray box? The CDI is just what builds and triggers the spark, the MPEM, (the big module in the gray box) is the real brain of the ski that handles the DESS key and other stuff. Both need to work for you to get spark. But lets back off a little. Most issues start with corroded connectors. So start by checking all of those and all of the ground wires. Then have you looked in the rear electrical box? Make sure the coil is nice and clean and well grounded. Then trim 1/4 inch off your plug wires and to make sure they are good. Then add new spark plugs gapped to spec. Hopefully that will fix it. If not, then we can look elsewhere. Are you SURE you do not have spark? I would hate for this to be a fuel issue... These things fire kind of weird so spark can be hard to see.

The DESS key is keyed to the MPEM, so just changing the CDI would not matter to the key and it should double beep just fine. It looks like you already changed the pickup and stator so you should be good there. (I doubt it needed that). The next logical change would be the MPEM. Do you have one to try? you can just replace the MPEM and not the entire gray box. You will need the matching key when you do this.

So start there, and let us know. I am sure we can help

Igniter pickup, battery voltage under load or coil.
Measure the resistance of the pickup.

Also what is your voltage at the battery while cranking. If less than 11v you will not get spark.

Did you change the CDI, or the entire gray box - I have now changed both

here is a update on what I have done I have completely replaced the CDI, MPM, changed the pickup and stator and ignition coil also took sand cloth and cleaned all the terminals and checked all the fuses. When I plug the key in the DESS port the seadoo does the 2 beeps, and when i press start it cranks and turns over but will not spark , the way I checked this was pulled the spark plug out and ground it while plugged into the spark plug cable and cranked the engine could not see spark.

I have 2 battery for this seadoo both only 2 years old for all of this testing I have only tried the one battery today I will try my other battery after a few cranks it lights up on the dash low 12v maybe this battery is not putting out enough spark?? anymore suggestions would be great also if you have any good ways to test with a meter please let me know in detail I'm not that great with a v meter thanks

This is just me thinking out loud, but did you change your plugs like suggested above? They could be fouled and not sparking....also did you make sure that when you changed the stator that the pulse magnet was still on the flywheel?

Last edited by a moderator:
wow thanks for the quick response I have pulled the spark plug connection lead ends off and cut them back to make sure they have good contact and changed the spark plugs. that's a great point about the flywheel, were is the magnet located? is it drilled into the housing? i will pull the front of the engine and check soon

Also check the holder relay. They go bad. Check power output after you install the key. The voltage usually drops if the relay is bad. That is the power for the cdi.

The magnet is just a metal tab on the outside of the flywheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back