Should I leave 2009 Utopia in water? Safe?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Ammar

Hey everyone I just bought my first boat and I went with a 2009 Seadoo Utopia 205 SE. It’s got twin Rotax engines with only 120 hours.

I’m thinking of docking it at a marina and leaving it in the water (fresh water) until September or October.

Any thoughts on leaving it in the water for that long? Is it bad to leave it in that long? What could happen if it is left in for that long? What’s a safe amount of time to leave in the water? Should I take it out once a month or something to clean it? Are the Utopias known to have problems if left in the water?

My reasoning for leaving it in the water is convenience. I don’t want to be trailering it after every use because I’ll be using the boat every week.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

All those things seem to be in great shape. Anything else I’d need to worry about if I do decide to leave it in the water?

When you say leave it in the water. Assuming you are using it and visiting it at regular intervals?

In short as per the first reply you should be fine. We leave our 2012 challenger in from now till Labour Day. And it will sit unused sometimes for a few weeks. Never an issue always starts.

Assuming the bilge comes on automatically as rain gets in, And you have covers on, and the bungs etc are not leaking.

If your location had a trickle charge option that would be added insurance. if you do leave it for weeks on end might be a good idea to have a battery jump booster pack. This will depend on how often the bilge had to run. I’ve never had an issue but depending on the location a dead battery when you plan on a nice day out is no fun and could be a major hassle to jump start.

And don’t leave the key in it 🤣
Jokes aside I hide an apple air tag in mine. Just as added insurance if it were to be moved.

The only other thing that “happens” for in water long periods is some algae or lake life building up below the water line. Would depend on water minerals etc. we have a more brown water lake. I just wipe it off with a micro fiber once mid summer. And give a good wash when out at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Back