Will a 2wd 4 cylinder get stuck on the boat ramp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallinazz

I own a 08 chevy colorado, 2wd, 4 cylinder stick shift. Will I get stuck on the ramp when towing a seadoo? My truck is rated at towing over 2,000 lbs and the seadoo 02 gtx its under 800 lbs. I've seen fail boat ramp attemps on utube and don't want to end up there.

the seadoo
seadoo.jpg

If the angle of the ramp is not too steep you will be ok.

But, if it is STEEP or slippery for some reason you could have issues. I would assume you have an "open" rear end. Meaning not posi-track or limited slip. If so, it will be challenging if you encounter a decent angle or slippery location as you will have only a single tire doing all the work.

It all depends on the angle of the ramp, and if it's slick or not.

But... just as an FYI... I almost never put my truck in 4wd to pull my boat or skis out of the water. So... unless the ramp is crazy steep... you should be fine.

Make sure you have a descent amount of tongue weight, I like to use 10-15% for my skis and boats. So set it up that there is 80-100 lbs on the tongue, that will help a bit with traction as well.

you should be fine. just plan in advanced incase u cant get back up bring tow straps and even a hand winch that way u can get you self out

i've seen a few near fails at the ramp with 2wd trucks, its a steep ramp that gets slick but we always got them out by just standing on the rear bumper.
1) if you have a long tongue on your trailer it helps keep the rear tires out of the water or the algae that forms right near the tide line.
2) put some weight in the truck bed. a couple of sand bags from home depot weigh quite a bit for the $3 they cost, or salt bags do the trick. if you do feel yourself slipping, having somebody stand on the bumper.
my durango has plenty of power but I still worry about the rwd, so in my trucks rear storage I do carry a tow chain and a tow strap, but they've never come out of the the bin, so far so good.

You can put the tow chain under the drive tire for traction if you don't have some one to pull you out, or if you have rubber floor mats in your car that will help with traction too. The northerners know this trick well, lots of ice and snow where we are.

I used a 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive five speed chevy s10 for a long time. I had very good tires but I never had a problem. I just made sure that the ramps werent to slick, and I didnt end up too far into the water. Worst case scenario play it safe and dont back to far up, after all its only a seadoo not a full boat. Just yang that beast off the back if you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back