What is the purpose of using a chain on an anchor?

LouDoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
As many years as I've been boating I feel kinda dumb asking the question. But I've always used a 3-4' piece of chain on my anchors, a guy at the lake the other day asked why? I didn't have an answer except "because my Dad did". I guess it's to keep from chaffing the rope at the anchor end, but I really don't know. So any of you old farts, er I meant old salts got an answer?

BTW I'm using an river anchor which is kind of a modified mushroom anchor.

Lou

It is so that the top of the anchor shaft lays down. The weight of the chain helps to eliminate the lifting of where is it attached to. As such, the anchor is kept parallel to the bottom and helps the anchor dig in. With line if it gets lifted the anchor goes with it and can cause to anchor to loose it's grab. Just like when you are pulling the anchor line up.

On light boats many do not like to put chain on their boats. Which is ok but then you need considerably more line so the angle is as good as if there was a chain. There is a formula with and without chain. If memory serves me right it is a 3:1 ratio. Pretty dramatic difference.

Bottom line is, it keeps the anchor on the bottom and at the right angle.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

So I guess on a mushroom or river anchor there really is no reason except to keep the rope from fraying.

Lou

So I guess on a mushroom or river anchor there really is no reason except to keep the rope from fraying.

Lou

Anchor still helps on a mushroom. It helps due to the weight and gets the anchor to bite sooner and deeper.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

As many years as I've been boating I feel kinda dumb asking the question. But I've always used a 3-4' piece of chain on my anchors, a guy at the lake the other day asked why? I didn't have an answer except "because my Dad did". I guess it's to keep from chaffing the rope at the anchor end, but I really don't know. So any of you old farts, er I meant old salts got an answer?

BTW I'm using an river anchor which is kind of a modified mushroom anchor.

Lou

Being able to identify both with "old farts" and "old salts" ...

coastiejoe's reply is probably the best short and simple answer to the somewhat complex subject of anchoring. Most issues relate to sea conditions, tides, currents, bottom structure, type of boat. Chain also acts as a shock absorber by its lifting and falling and keeps a lot of the shock off the anchor itself helping to prevent it breaking loose from the bottom.

Rod

Rod,

I can't believe you are the first one to respond to old farts, and old salts, like us. :cool:

Lou

Rod,

I can't believe you are the first one to respond to old farts, and old salts, like us. :cool:

Lou

I think I identified myself as an "old fart" way back in my introductory post here. Seems I recall that you and Jake and a couple others jumped on it, but I was too new to the site to allow my full-fledged smartass to be revealed.

Back to the anchor subject ... just how large is the tidal swing in your neighborhood? Keep smilin', makes people wonder what you are up to.

Rod

Back