What is it Worth - Price Check Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molotok

Hi! I have been searching to see if this forum had an official Price Check thread, to keep the spamming of these types of threads down, and didnt find one. I know im new, but, if the mods could please Sticky this thread, and direct all people asking "Whats it worth?" "Price check on XXX?" "How much could I get for my XYZ" type posts to here.

It would make searching for this type of question very easy, and allow for people to watch the Price check thread, and answer their own questions without even having to ask.

So, I humbly request a sticky on my 2nd ever post :cheers:

it really doesn't come up that often. (but again the classified thread took off gangbusters)

and part of the issue is the the price can vary dramatically by state, region and country and most importantly by the calendar.

a ski's or parts value can go up or down 20% just based on the time of year.

the highest values are in cold weather climates in the springtime,
lowest values same place in the winter.

the same ski can be as much as 50% different in cost depending on location.

but even in florida, with year round boating, we see a 15% drop in price after September (Christmas is coming nobody wants to spend), Springtime (tax returns) is the highest value time of year for a seller, and this applies to ski's and parts as well.

Yup exactly...as far as parts I have many factors for price including how many models it fits, time of year, how many I have in stock, returning customer, etc.

Running machine prices are all over the board up here in the midwest!!

Personally I think there might be some merit for good deals on parts, lubricants etc, might save some members a few bucks here and there.

There is a thread around "how good was your deal" which is guys comparing the good deals they got on skiis. I don't get involved being in Ontario I "overpay" for everything. On used 10-15 year old skiis we pay on average 30-50% more then most of the states.

Maybe i need to start a thread "how bad was your deal" in order to participate.

Personally I think there might be some merit for good deals on parts, lubricants etc, might save some members a few bucks here and there.

There is a thread around "how good was your deal" which is guys comparing the good deals they got on skiis. I don't get involved being in Ontario I "overpay" for everything. On used 10-15 year old skiis we pay on average 30-50% more then most of the states.

Maybe i need to start a thread "how bad was your deal" in order to participate.

lol so true !

Fair points, but we could just write those caveats at the top of the thread. The forum lists the date posted, and most people should have their location set, which would solve the geographic price differentials.

Good discussion at least:thumbsup:

I would say if someone comes accross a good deal on parts ect to post it here to share if with everyone, like the craigslist tread. For instance a great deal on carb rebuild kits post it to share.

Might be a good place to post all of the infamous "is this a good deal" threads. Not that I think anything is wrong with them, I have started a similar thread in the past, but they do come up pretty often and I think it would be nice to have them all on one thread. Probably get more input too.

Well, I will start (This is my original reason for the search heh)

Im looking at a 99 XP Limited, with a great hull, all controls are in good shape, little foam rot, and misc decal issues, but a blown engine, thats torn down and just sitting in the engine compartment. Core is good, but it blew a piece of ring into the reeds apparently(So says the CO)

Clear florida title, and even a trailer, which is quite old, but is in fair shape. I plan on either doing the rebuild myself, or sending the core in. It would be a winter project for me

Whats it worth?

Unless the guys here really want it... I'm not going to sticky it.

As they already said... Location, time of year, and condition play a HUGE roll in the price. Not to mention... once it gets past a few pages... people will re-post, and ask redundant prices.

IMOP a ski is worth whatever you are willing to pay. Each ski for sale varies in many different areas affecting the price. Condition, fresh or salt, maintenance, location , time of the year etc... You can never count what a seller says to be FACT. You really never know what kind of deal you really got until you get it home and tear into it. So each ski is different in its own right and really no way to set an exact price on a exact ski year and model. In my opinion

Well, the opinions of the more experienced enthusiasts here, is what I am personally after. You are right, ultimately, its up to the buyer to decide what their best price is, but Id be willing to pay more for an item based on my limited experience, than its probably worth.

Plus, most guys on here, as I learned from the Craigslist thread, are very familiar with what things should and shouldnt cost, I just figured a centralized location would help everyone involved.

Thanks for the replies,

Clint

Last edited by a moderator:

Im looking at a 99 XP Limited, with a great hull, all controls are in good shape, little foam rot, and misc decal issues, but a blown engine, thats torn down and just sitting in the engine compartment. Core is good, but it blew a piece of ring into the reeds apparently(So says the CO)

Clear florida title, and even a trailer, which is quite old, but is in fair shape. I plan on either doing the rebuild myself, or sending the core in. It would be a winter project for me

Whats it worth?

Ive got a chance to pick this up for $500, It seems like a pretty decent deal, what do you guys think?

Ive got a chance to pick this up for $500, It seems like a pretty decent deal, what do you guys think?

pretty solid deal imo, cause the 97's (which is way less cool mechanically) prob sell for roughly 1500 in running condition.

pretty solid deal imo, cause the 97's (which is way less cool mechanically) prob sell for roughly 1500 in running condition.

Ok, getting the Ski today! Will start a new project thread and take some quick pics on my lunch break.

Whats it worth?

its worth about $600. I'd try to pay $400. I've bought several like this and my price is always between $450-$600 i refuse to go a penny higher.

look for a LOT of misc stuff... do all cables move freely, how bad are the carbs, is the airbox complete including the diaper and the flaps & vents? seat torn ? ALL gauges work , are you sure it gives two beeps? broken reed? what caused the problem also ? air leak? oil pump?

my point...
I'd still try to nickle and dime him down a tad, its a big project, its going to nickle and dime you for sure. I know this for a fact w/o even looking at it that you'll spend $200-300 more than you thought on BS, and it will take 40% more time than you thought, not just in sweat hours but parts delays, etc.

I assisted in a recent purchase with SDB for a $900 buy on a running ski... yes, a running 951 and it still nickle and dime'd him for about $600 and the meter is still running !!!
carb kits, throttle cable, seat cover, hood deflector, labor, tires, bearings, gas, airbox parts, pump oil, trailer lights, pipe welding, fuses, gaskets missing bolts (you can count on that by the way).

and it still needs buffed out, trailer re-wired, seat cover installed, new mats (eventually)

for your's you'll probably need all of the above AND gasket set, how are the raves and water regulator ($100, poof) crank seals some misc tools (alignment tool, flywheel puller, case's will need blasting, (and ps.. good luck on the crank, that will pop you for another $350 if its not nice, and IMO it better be MINT if your going to go thru all that bullshit and put a questionable crank in there)

or you skip "some" of the steps, and step up to the pay window and fork over $1,000+ for a new engine and remember, you'll only be skipping some of the steps, Most of all that BS has to be done anyway regardless if a new engine or a rebuild project.

not to mention misc things like tow rope, on board tools, first gallon of oil and full tank of gas, title, tax and registration will set you back $200 right off the top.

have fun !

Last edited by a moderator:
its worth about $600. I'd try to pay $400. I've bought several like this and my price is always between $450-$600 i refuse to go a penny higher.

Thanks man, hes dropping it off today, which is great, because our SUV doesnt have a tow hitch yet, and hes about 20 miles out. Seems like a real stand up guy too. We agreed on the 500, I figured that was pretty fair with the extra hood, and him delivering it.

Counting down the hours! cant wait!!

That is for sure a 96, looks like it was taken care of for a while at least, there is minimal sunfading, i would check the nose piece to make sure he didnt break any fiberglass when he lost his original one, the nose pieces do break off sometimes but i would look closely at that. But $850 isnt bad. But he will take $700 if he said in the ad that he would take $850. But that is just if there are no problems with the motor. If it doesnt run, i wouldnt pay more than $400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back