Water leak 2000 GS with 717 engine not running

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where would /could the water be coming in from?
My 2000 GS started running rough and ultimately stalled. I usually find a little bit of water in side so I did not think much of it. It would not restart so I just put it on the lift and shopvac'd the water out (about 2 cups) and left it for 24 hours. It started right up after 24 hours but when I went for a short warm up it died again...found water (another 2-3 cups) in it? When I shopvac'd and dried the bilge, I dropped the ski in the water (without starting the motor) and found water coming in from an area undeneath the exhaust system (see red arrow in picture).
Without the engine running (so no vacuum bailers), I got about twice as much water (about 4-5 cups) in the bilge (in a matter of minutes)!
Water leak 717 engine.JPG

The fact that the engine is dying would be my major concern but it did reveal that you have a water leak which may have been present for a long time.

Visually check all of the hoses in the back of the ski and make sure they are securely attached. Your exhaust hull fitting may be loose.

What you can do with the front of the ski elevated a good bit stick a water hose inside the ski and begin to fill it with water. If you have something leaking through the hull you should be able to locate it. Don't let the water level get to high but you can generally flood the back of the ski without getting the engine wet.

Don't forget to check the obvious. The hull drain plugs. Good Luck.

I'd do some checking to find out why the ski is stalling. When it starts running rough pull the choke slowly. If the engine runs better you're not getting enough fuel. What color are your fuel lines? That is a very reliable engine. Good Luck !!

The fact that the engine is dying would be my major concern but it did reveal that you have a water leak which may have been present for a long time.

Visually check all of the hoses in the back of the ski and make sure they are securely attached. Your exhaust hull fitting may be loose.

What you can do with the front of the ski elevated a good bit stick a water hose inside the ski and begin to fill it with water. If you have something leaking through the hull you should be able to locate it. Don't let the water level get to high but you can generally flood the back of the ski without getting the engine wet.

Don't forget to check the obvious. The hull drain plugs. Good Luck.
Thanks all. I tried putting water inside the hull but the way it sits on the lift (slightly nose down) I had to put more water in than I was comfortable with...so I will probably chock/shim the front higher to change the angle. As for dying...all I know so far is that it seems to get no spark (as starting fluid does not get her turned over...I know starting fluid can be bad), and a few hours later (drying time) it fires right up.
With the engine off (and with me sitting/putting weight on it (without the seat on)) I see water coming from (see picture).
Water leak pic.jpg

Remove the Waterbox and inspect it and the Hull for Hole ;)

P.S. Is that a Hull crack in the photo?
Glad you saw that...at first I though it was a crack BUT it did not leak when down in the water or when hull filled with water??? I guess its a "flaw" in the composite. I may just JB Weld it anyway?
Will remove waterbox, etc...
Still planning on jacking up the front of the ski to allow more water weight/pressure in the rear section to see if I can make it leak.
Any theory on how the Waterbox could be leaking with the engine not running and the ski just sitting in the water?
Can anyone think of any hoses/penetrations "hidden" by the Waterbox

No, the waterbox will not leak just sitting in the water. That big "U" in the exhaust hose stops water from just flowing into the exhaust, it is a high point.
More than likely you have a hull leak behind the waterbox. Can be from the sponsons, a crack or the OPAS system if you have it.

Man I get the front of my skis WAY HIGH. 2 feet. LOL I had a leak at the seam on my XP.

KUDOs on keeping the bottom of that ski so clean !!

What is the secret/sequence to get the darn airbox out? I have removed the rubber strap and loosened the hose clamps...it seems to need to move aft to disengage the J-pipe? The top port is loose but I cannot seem to move the airbox aft enough to get it off the J-pipe
Air box removal.JPG

Last edited:
What is the secret/sequence to get the darn airbox out? I have removed the rubber strap and loosened the hose clamps...it seems to need to move aft to disengage the J-pipe? The top port is loose but I cannot seem to move the airbox aft enough to get it off the J-pipe
View attachment 61729
Waterbox not airbox I assume.
You need to break all the hoses loose.

I would remove the upper J hose and plastic baffle first. Then you should be able to lift the waterbox up and off hose #3.

Okay...I found one of my hull drain plugs does not have a rubber O-ring (the other does and no leaks on that side). The bilge drain plug is "captured"...how do I release while retaining the capture mechanism?

I would remove the upper J hose and plastic baffle first. Then you should be able to lift the waterbox up and off hose #3.
I will try that...tomorrow. I replaced the missing drain plug O-ring and that seems to have reduced the amount of water coming in from the unknown source. I am wondering if its leaking around the threaded drain plug receptor/receiver.
I will probably:
1) Try to jack up the front of the ski to see if I can make water leak out.
2) I will continue to try to move the box up and out.
THANKS!
Drain plug hull penetration.JPG

Got exhaust out of way...looks like water is coming from the underneath the floatation foam, most likely hull/deck seam.
I will try to learn how to remove/repair the seam.
Thanks all!
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back