Starter rebuild - How hard is it to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrisp

I just came in from taking the starter out of my XP, and looked at the diagram of it in the manual. it doesn't look that hard to take apart, but in the manual, nothing looks that hard. lol

Just wondering how long it might take to take it apart and put I back together? Are there any special tools needed?

I've done a car starter before, to replace the bendix in the front, but it;s been probably 35 years since I've done it.

A new SBT starter is $100, and the rebuild kit is about $25. I've read some iffy things about the SBT starters, so kinda weary about them.

On a side note though, the hardest thing about taking the starter out, was getting that #%@^%*& airbox off. lol I hate that thing!!

It is not hard to do. Go with an OEM starter and a rebuild kit. It is the best way to go. Normally only requires new brushes.

The back plate needs to go back in the same place or the starter can spin backwards. So mark the plate to the housing.

Last edited by a moderator:
First do NOT buy an SBT starter, they're no better than the cheap Chinese starters on Ebay, just more money.

I've rebuilt several starters over the years and I don't recall any of them needing more than a brush kit. Easy to do, like coastie said be sure to mark the starter so it goes back together correctly. And here's where I disagree, you don't need an OEM kit, in this case aftermarket is fine here's the one I use. Change the brush kit, lube the bearings with a little dielectric grease on the bearings, clean the stator put it back together you're ready to go. Oh and lube the bendix.

http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Motor...398136&sr=8-1&keywords=seadoo+starter+brushes

Lou

Added, well I just re-read Kevin's post maybe we don't disagree, he just said use the OEM starter.

I didn't mean to imply an OEM kit. But for sure an OEM starter.

I'm in Vegas Baby, lucky I spelled OEM correctly.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

Thanks guys, I'm going to give it a try. I figure, the worst that could happen is that it doesn't work, and I learn that starters aren't my forte. lol

Mine is an OEM starter, so I've got the hard part done.

Thanks guys, I'm going to give it a try. I figure, the worst that could happen is that it doesn't work, and I learn that starters aren't my forte. lol

Mine is an OEM starter, so I've got the hard part done.

its not that difficult, i did it on a 91 580 starter before i really knew wtf i was doing. the bendix had stuck open, and wore out the brushes. went to the local dealer, at 17 years old, and asked what a new starter would run, they told me some crazy number (like $275), i said "well it only needs brushes, can i get those?" yep, $25 and a bit of trial and error and i had a rebuilt starter.

the rebuilding is definitely easier than removing and installing the dang thing.

Edit: theres only one way for the end cap to go back on, if you do it wrong, it'll either spin backwards or the shunts for the brushes will be crossed and it'll short. I tested mine with a 10a battery charger and the starter clamped in a bench vise. make sure the bendix pops out and extends fully when you hit the power, its normal for it to drop back in once the starter spins up as its just spring loaded against a worm on the shaft, and the inertia of the gear makes it pop out.

I ordered the starter rebuild kit, it should be here by Saturday.

Once I get it all back together, is testing it just matter of connecting a +/- jumper cable to the posts on the starter, or will that damage it? Or, do I need to put the relay in the circuit?

I really want to test it before reinstalling it.

I ordered the starter rebuild kit, it should be here by Saturday.

Once I get it all back together, is testing it just matter of connecting a +/- jumper cable to the posts on the starter, or will that damage it? Or, do I need to put the relay in the circuit?

I really want to test it before reinstalling it.

Testing in that manner will not hurt it..

Yep, ol griz is right, wrap a shop rag around it and put it in your bench vice when you test it, or you could break something, like your toe.

Lou

Good points,,, I use to test Ford starter motors by putting one foot on them Every now and then one would torque itself out...

Do yourself a HUGE favor and when you bench test it put a nut on the positive stud and touch the nut, not the threads. When you make contact with the post it will arc, you run a chance of screwing up the threads if you go direct to them. Then you'll cheese up the nut trying to put the nut on and really screw the pooch on your nice newly rebuilt starter. It's like driving a stud out that you need to reuse, you put a nut on it so you don't mushroom the end of the stud. Yes you could put the positive cable on the stud and touch the ground to the case, but God for bid the starter kicks and the alligator clamp slips and arcs on the threads. Other than that, hammer on!

As long as we are all taking about starters here, I'll add my question. I have a starter with what appears to be good brushes and bendix. When I bench test it, the bendix jumps out, but doesn't stay out. Any thoughts on what is causing that?

As long as we are all taking about starters here, I'll add my question. I have a starter with what appears to be good brushes and bendix. When I bench test it, the bendix jumps out, but doesn't stay out. Any thoughts on what is causing that?

I'm not sure on how long they stay out, but they are supposed to spin back into the nose at some point/speed, otherwise they would stay engaged in the flywheel when the engine starts.

How long is your bendix staying out before it pulls back into the starter housing? Is your starter mounted of on a bench?

It should only come out when you first put power to it and when it spins up on bench it will retract. It's the pressure on the flywheel that keeps the bendix out when in ski. On bench there is no pressure on bendix so spring retracts it.. It's fine. Remember to lube bendix with a light oil. Very important for good bendix operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just jumped my old starter and it spins up pretty quickly, and the bendix engage, but I don't know of a way to put a load on it. That was the problem, it would spin the motor when the plugs were out, but not when they were in.

It should only come out when you first put power to it and when it spins up on bench it will retract. It's the pressure on the flywheel that keeps the bendix out when in ski. On bench there is no pressure on bendix so spring retracts it.. It's fine. Remember to lube bendix with a light oil. Very important for good bendix operation.

I hope this is true because this is the way my starter is working as well during bench testing. Bendix jumps out but then retracts while still spinning. Haven't installed it back in the ski yet since replacing brushes last night.

I hope this is true because this is the way my starter is working as well during bench testing. Bendix jumps out but then retracts while still spinning. Haven't installed it back in the ski yet since replacing brushes last night.

Yes, this is true.

Not my video and plenty more on the tube

[video=youtube;Rj44A1acG5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj44A1acG5Y[/video]

[MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] and [MENTION=38668]manolocross[/MENTION], you were right. I installed the starter with the replaced brushes last night and the ski starts up better than ever! Good thread.

racerxxx, you were right. I installed the starter with the replaced brushes last night and the ski starts up better than ever! Good thread.

I wasn't right, [MENTION=38668]manolocross[/MENTION] was right, I just reconfirmed it, I don't want to steal his thunder. That's great you're back in action, good job!

Good job... Most people wont dare open a starter but you got it... Nothing like a starter that cranks the s**t out of engine!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back