RESTO started as 97 SPX, now 01 RXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update. Great job on that RXX you built something that will last a couple hundred hours instead of 30. Great deals too. I've had to set a 717 back for myself last week, just too fresh lol.

Thanks for the update. Great job on that RXX you built something that will last a couple hundred hours instead of 30. Great deals too. I've had to set a 717 back for myself last week, just too fresh lol.

I'm hoping it will last me a good long time.. I just could not justify the twins and all of the associated stuff, including cost, to try to keep it going. Now with that said, I will more than likely be piddling with it to get some more power, but nothing really noteworthy.

I have gotten a few great deals to build it. Overall, I've got about $800 total in the ski.. that includes the purchase of the new steering cable. And have lots of parts and a trailer left over. If it continues to warm up, I'd like to take it out next weekend.. and if so, wheee!

Or sell it to me for a couple grand and I'll dial her in.......

HAHAHA
problem is two fold:
I don't typically discuss what I have into a ski, unless it's something I plan to keep for a long time.. and I've done let that cat out of the bag.

and

I like it. It's probably the nicest ski I own (even though my wife would argue that hers is nicer) and am really looking forward to taking this one out.. probably more excited than getting the 96 HX wet for the first time in 18 years.

I know I know. Your doing good work over there and I had to take a poke. I think you will love it.

Just bumping this up for prosperity and discussion. Small world stuff.
I purchased a set of original RXX twins, manual trim, and all of the associated "stuff" from Matt, via David Gray.

While I'm still debating putting them on, but now at least I've got the option if I want. And since I'm in the process of building a new engine for it anyways, I might just do it.
And now, a pic from last summer. Because.
20180630_194538.jpg

Last edited:
Since the 2 stroke Smoke Show is, you know.. next weekend.. what better time to rebuild two skis THIS weekend.
For the RXX, I've done the following:
Pulled the engine late last year to build a new engine over the winter... hah.
Threw in a Solas 15/20 and 3 degree wedge
White pipe, R&D cone -- still dont feel like messing with the twins... yet.
ADA head with 50cc domes
Pretty basic bottom end, the crank I rebuilt, CB I rebuilt, cases all blasted.
And for the top end, 1000cc Wossner with Fullbore stage III porting. She's awful pretty.received_354150098846279.jpeg

Bottom end is done, together, blah blah.. I'll be getting the top end on Saturday night and should have the ski done Sunday afternoon.

The other ski I'll be building this weekend is my wife's 04 GTI LE RFI. I'll probably do a small build thread, but what better way to make a crazy time crunch even more insane than to tear apart a perfectly fine running ski because you think it needs more horsepuppers.

Cool build. I think an RXX is the only ski my stable is missing. Found one locally but the joker will not budge off $6500, he thinks it's more special than I do.

Cool build. I think an RXX is the only ski my stable is missing. Found one locally but the joker will not budge off $6500, he thinks it's more special than I do.

They pop up on the facebook groups every once in a while. Yea, 6500 is nuts, but it's not an unreasonable price to pay 2k for one needing a top end. I mean, at that point it's worth more in parts. And while i'd never part one of these out unless it was an absolute sh*tpile, some people dont really care.

I'm hoping it will last me a good long time.. I just could not justify the twins and all of the associated stuff, including cost, to try to keep it going. Now with that said, I will more than likely be piddling with it to get some more power, but nothing really noteworthy.

I have gotten a few great deals to build it. Overall, I've got about $800 total in the ski.. that includes the purchase of the new steering cable. And have lots of parts and a trailer left over. If it continues to warm up, I'd like to take it out next weekend.. and if so, wheee!

Just curious what are “the twins” that you referred to several times in your posts.

The RXX used twin Factory Pipe Expansion Chambers instead of a single cast aluminum pipe. Way more power but they crack and leak, 160HP vs. 130HP.
seadoo-2001-rx-x-rxx-951-racing-pipes-factory-pipe.jpg

Ski ran flawlessly after a slight hiccup Friday morning (exhaust hose blew out after two minutes of riding the very first time out.) Im fat on the top end by half a turn on the highs, playing it safe with the porting, broke in with a tank of 40:1 premix along with injection.
Gps at 61.8 at 6800rpms. There is a lot of room for improvement there.. but not today, Isis!
Engine pic. I think besides myself, the only guy who dug the color combo was Grillo.. but so what :)
The other change before we ran off to Branson for the weekend was my wife cut some new registration stickers. She did a great job.

20190807_125226.jpg15654748379878032661236792638417.jpg

I almost put these two skis away for the winter a few weeks ago, but the weather has turned from looking like crap, to looking beautiful. So, I continued to work on this ski a little bit, but mostly enjoy it... having had it out a few times it's getting the hours put on it for sure. Have all winter to tweak it, I just want to ride.

I leaned the highs in a bit and picked up a half mph, to 62.4MPH. Meh, there's more but I'm not all that concerned at the moment. Since then, I've gotten rid of the ADA head and just put a stock back on for now, and it's retained the 62.4 MPH.

One big issue that's come up is, after hammering some huge wakes at table rock this weekend, I stress cracked the eff out of the gelcoat. Major bummer, I need to stop doing that.

And now some pics, because. Table Rock lake, last weekend.. beautiful 84 degree, super clean water on a 90 degree day
20190901_191052.jpgFB_IMG_1567610702574.jpgFB_IMG_1567610707070.jpgFB_IMG_1567610730534.jpgFB_IMG_1567610758477.jpgFB_IMG_1567610777578.jpg

Dansquires, nice you’re a Missouri resident?! Me too! It would be cool to meet someone close by who has good Seadoo knowledge as I’m a noobie and want to learn more. Great stuff you got going on!

That's a beautiful beast Dan! I've always wanted to run up and check out Table Rock, just no driving reason to. Although a good buddy swears that Table Rock gets a lot bigger waves than we do down here for some reason.. maybe it's orientation to prevailing winds? I'm in North Central Arkansas, not too far from you guys. I'm about 35 minutes from launch at Choctaw on Greer's Ferry, about an hour to Bull Shoals, and about an hour and 15 or so to Norfolk Lake. An embarrassment of riches! :) I haven't really had a big reason to drive on up to MO just to get on the water.

FWIW there was a mint '95 XP800 on the Facebook Marketplace early this week. $1800 with a nice single trailer, I just didn't see it quickly enough. Nicest gelcoat and decals I've seen on an original in a long time. The listing wasn't up two entire days before it sold. We ought to start a "Project Wanted" thread for when one of us is looking for a particular ski so others can keep an eye out. The end of Summer sell off is beginning to pick up speed down here, no telling what might come up for sale.

Getting ready to pull the skis out of storage and get them ready for some abuse. I've also accumulated a few parts over the winter months, and have a few more to get.
I'll probably end up pulling this engine back out and tossing it in my wife's GTI, coupled with a Buckshot head, carbon reeds, and spacers I picked up over the winter months. In the RX will go another ported Fullbore Wossner top end. Along with some newly produced Miller products. I'll do the spacers, carbon reeds, head, and case cooler. Also build another set of carbs minus the AP, just to clean that up a bit. Other than that, I need to get a new seat cover as this one is starting to wear out.. just piddly stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back