Smoking on start-up, Injectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waata99

1998 Gtx Rfi been smoking alot on startup - killed all mosquitos in Michigan.
So after sitting for a day I pulled the plugs and hit start - got lots of gas out of front cylinder mixed with some oil - soaked 3 rags.
So I removed the fuel rail let it sit overnight.
Turned it over today and got - what I consider - too much oil out of front cylinder.
Fuel pressure on fuel line is 55-60 psi, compression on both cylinders is 125-130 psi.
If this is bad seals on valve crank...why am I only getting excess oil building up in the front cylinder?
I am fairly mechanically inclined but new to Seadoos.
I am taking the injectors in to be re-calibrated and cleaned.
Thanks.

I too am no expert with these rotax engines. I have a 99 GTX RFI that was smoking at start up and fouling the plugs. But still running great with 150 psi in both cylinders. While riding it suddenly quit and would not restart. I got it home and found the piston on the mag side cylinder in pieces and the rod bent. I was told that the crankshaft seal failed causing a lean run in that cylinder. It is my understanding that replacing the crank shaft seals requires the engine to be fully disassembled and special tools not typically available to the home mechanic. Because of the age of your ski and the low compression in both cylinders it is probably time for a complete engine rebuild. I just sent my 787 RFI engine to SES for $899 premium rebuild with a 2 year no fault warranty. Parts and machine shop would have cost me more to do it myself. Plus I will have the added benefit of a warranty.

The oil is probably seeping through the seal for the rotary valve shaft. It would take a crank rebuild to fix if that is the case. As Adam said, you might as well rebuild the engine since the compression is getting low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back